Keira Knightley to star in 'Pride and Prejudice'

Tools    

Knightley
Variety reports that Keira Knightley is set to star in "Pride and Prejudice," an adaptation of the Jane Austen classic for Working Title and Universal.

Joe Wright, who helmed the BBC miniseries "Charles II," is directing a script originally penned by Deborah Moggach ("Tulip Fever") and rewritten by Lee Hall ("Billy Elliot"). Filming begins in July.

Knightley will play Elizabeth Bennet, the eldest of five sisters in a British family ruled by a mother determined to marry her daughters into money.

The Austen novel is also being transformed into helmer Gurinder Chadha's ("Bend It Like Beckham") upcoming Bollywood musical "Bride and Prejudice."

~ TheMovieBox

I like Keira but somehow just cannot picture her as Elizabeth… and I don't remember seeing Matthew MacFadyen (Mr. Darcy) in anything before… I love Jane Austen though... so will still check this out...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
The previews look good and I'm really interested to see how it differs from the 1940's version and the 1995 mini-series version. I'm particularly interested to see how the mother character is handled. In the 40's version Mary Boland was such a hoot as the mom and ends the movie perfectly. I love her voice and how she spoke throughout...and her facial expressions were perfect. In the mini series, Alison Steadman's Mrs Bennett was written and played shrill, over-bearing and snot very loveable. So, I'll be axnious to see how Brenda Blethyn portrays Mrs. Bennett and how her character is written.

Caity...I'm not sure about Keira either, but then again I wasn't sure of Jennifer Ehle either and she won me over. I'm a little more unsure of Matthew MacFadyen as Mr. Darcy (heh...bad me is sterotyping again. ) We'll see. I hope it's good. I'm taking my daughter to see it when it comes out here.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Aniko
The previews look good and I'm really interested to see how it differs from the 1940's version and the 1995 mini-series version. I'm particularly interested to see how the mother character is handled. In the 40's version Mary Boland was such a hoot as the mom and ends the movie perfectly. I love her voice and how she spoke throughout...and her facial expressions were perfect. In the mini series, Alison Steadman's Mrs Bennett was written and played shrill, over-bearing and snot very loveable. So, I'll be axnious to see how Brenda Blethyn portrays Mrs. Bennett and how her character is written.

Caity...I'm not sure about Keira either, but then again I wasn't sure of Jennifer Ehle either and she won me over. I'm a little more unsure of Matthew MacFadyen as Mr. Darcy (heh...bad me is sterotyping again. ) We'll see. I hope it's good. I'm taking my daughter to see it when it comes out here.
Best typo ever.
I saw the preview for this and thought of you, Aniko. Am looking forward to seeing it. I don't really know the story, haven't read the book. It always seems like these things become classics for good reason though, so I can' wait.

there is an updated version of pride and prejudice that they are showing on cable lately...it remains true to the jane austen novel as did the a & e version with jennifer ehle and colin firth...

however the movie was a little different, especially the ending, although the acting and storyline was excellent

Put me in your pocket...
So have any of you seen Pride and Prejudice yet? I took my daughter one night. We really liked it. I'm dying to hear what you all thought of it. Caity, if you get a chance to see it, do. I want to find out your opinions about Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen in this.

Cindy...unfortunately, I've had worse typo's...

Originally Posted by Aniko
So have any of you seen Pride and Prejudice yet? I took my daughter one night. We really liked it. I'm dying to hear what you all thought of it. Caity, if you get a chance to see it, do. I want to find out your opinions about Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen in this.

Glad you liked it... ... right now, we are very limited theater wise and the last time I checked, it was not playing here... so, I might have to wait for the DVD...

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Glad you liked it... ... right now, we are very limited theater wise and the last time I checked, it was not playing here... so, I might have to wait for the DVD...

I'm sorry Caity. I forgot that you're limited to theaters. Definately check it out on DVD. It's a more earthy version than the mini-series, so it does give the movie a little different look. Sometimes it works for me and other times, I liked how a scene was handled in the mini series better. And, I still like Jennifer Ehle better as Lizzy, but Keira wasn't bad. It's kind of hard not comparing this version with the others. Over-all we liked it and would recommend it.