Things that annoy you...

Tools    

Phew, figured it out. There is another button that goes backwards. So I went back from 2024 to 2020. This button is labeled MEMO/REPEAT so how anyone is supposed to figure out what it does is beyond me. Just sheer luck that I happened to notice it & there is zero information in the manual as to its purpose.

Yeah, so many young able-bodied men who sit or stand around doing absolutely nothing useful.

But you did a ton of work in just over an hour. How is that very slow? My husband is out literally hours clearing snow from our backyard + the sidewalk.

I tend to over-pay & I definitely over-tip. I start at $10 & go upwards from there.
The rest of the story (as Paul Harvey might say) was that the son's house across the street was almost done so I did a little bit there... and then her other son came out and we finished his driveway together.

P.S. I was going to write earlier that I suspected there was a way to put the right year on your answering machine - you just had to find it.

This is great. How the heck am I gonna get to Xmas Day Mass at 10 a.m. on Friday?

It’s always something here in Connecticut.

Ridiculous weather forecast. It’s 55 degrees & pissing down with rain, but it’s nothing like they forecast. Connecticut is such a bunch of nervous nellies. If we have an inch of snow they close the schools immediately. (Didn’t happen this winter since the schools aren’t open.)

I was so worried about getting to church & back & I worried for nothing.

IDIOTS!

I am gonna barf if I hear White Christmas one more time. I always feel sorry for those who work at Walgreens, Stop & Shop, Family Dollar, etc. having to listen to this stuff ALL DAY LONG.

I am gonna barf if I hear White Christmas one more time. I always feel sorry for those who work at Walgreens, Stop & Shop, Family Dollar, etc. having to listen to this stuff ALL DAY LONG.
I know, I’ve been walking around blasting Rammstein in my headphones. The Christmas song stuff gets to be too much too fast.

Ridiculous weather forecast. It’s 55 degrees & pissing down with rain, but it’s nothing like they forecast. Connecticut is such a bunch of nervous nellies. If we have an inch of snow they close the schools immediately. (Didn’t happen this winter since the schools aren’t open.)

I was so worried about getting to church & back & I worried for nothing.

IDIOTS!
I remember Cambridge (U.K.) had a sign around 2012 that said ‘Playgrounds are not safe. Stay away.’ Utterly mental.

I remember Cambridge (U.K.) had a sign around 2012 that said ‘Playgrounds are not safe. Stay away.’ Utterly mental.
We have a lot of this here. Nanny states.

The guy standing 2 rows behind me at Mass today (Holy Day of Obligation) apparently didn’t get the memo that no singing is allowed even when wearing a mask. We have a soprano & she sings in the organ loft. Only she is allowed to sing.

Not only did he sing all his germs onto the back of my sweater, but he sang horribly off-key & drowned out the soprano.

Some people are so thick.

How do you trill an r? And why would someone want to to that

If I knew how I wouldn't be complaining about those dumb videos. And some languages have the trilled and regular r for different words and purposes.

How do you trill an r? And why would someone want to to that
I'd assume it can be accomplished through practice? (Unless it's one of those genetic things like people who can curl their tongues - I can curl my tongue and roll "r's"!)

I can only imagine one would want to do it to speak a language where trilling is required for proper pronunciation (or to imitate the accent of such a language).

As to "how to" - I find placing the tip of the tongue on the upper palate just about 1/8 to 1/4 inch behind the front teeth, then channeling air along the top surface of the tongue to its tip can create the effect. Note: the tongue must be held in place firmly enough to keep the tip in contact with the palate, but still be very loose at the same time so when the air is forced through the top of the tip and the palate, the necessary vibration is achieved. Applying it to words is simply involving the vocal cords with the flow of air that vibrates the tip of the tongue.

If I knew how I wouldn't be complaining about those dumb videos. And some languages have the trilled and regular r for different words and purposes.
Seriously, I have no idea what a trill r is. But I'm guessing from your last post that it has something to do with pronunciation of a foreign language word?

I'd assume it can be accomplished through practice? (Unless it's one of those genetic things like people who can curl their tongues - I can curl my tongue and roll "r's"!)

I can only imagine one would want to do it to speak a language where trilling is required for proper pronunciation (or to imitate the accent of such a language).

As to "how to" - I find curling the tongue and placing the tip on the upper palate just about 1/8 to 1/4 inch behind the front teeth, then channeling air along the top surface of the tounge to its tip can create the effect. Note: the tongue must be held in place, but be very loose at the same time. Applying it to words is simply involving the vocal cords with the flow of air that vibrates the tip of the tongue.
This is all new to me! Then again I didn't go to college, heck I didn't even pay attention in school! So no wonder I don't know what a trill r is. But I do know what a Trill is

This is all new to me! Then again I didn't go to college, heck I didn't even pay attention in school! So no wonder I don't know what a trill r is. But I do know what a Trill is
I'm assuming "trilling" ones "r's" is the same as "rolling" them (but I haven't looked it up.)

Seriously, I have no idea what a trill r is. But I'm guessing from your last post that it has something to do with pronunciation of a foreign language word?

You know, the fancier r that's common in Europe?

I'm annoyed that I've never been able to whistle using my fingers. I can whistle quite well with my lips (as to whistle a tune) but could never do that really loud whistle that some can do with their fingers and their mouth.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Just pretend to be a kitty cat?
A foreign kitty cat.
An awesome kitty cat.
Then the worrrrrld will be your litter box.

The guy standing 2 rows behind me at Mass today (Holy Day of Obligation) apparently didn’t get the memo that no singing is allowed even when wearing a mask. We have a soprano & she sings in the organ loft. Only she is allowed to sing.

Not only did he sing all his germs onto the back of my sweater, but he sang horribly off-key & drowned out the soprano.

Some people are so thick.
Back to our usual mass times yesterday. This guy does not attend the same mass as me, thank goodness.

But ... a woman 2 rows behind me decided to sing all through the service. These people are so thick.

French people roll or trill their “r”.

I'm annoyed that I've never been able to whistle using my fingers. I can whistle quite well with my lips (as to whistle a tune) but could never do that really loud whistle that some can do with their fingers and their mouth.
I can’t do this either & I’ve always wanted to.

Brutal walk today in Connecticut this morning. 10 degrees outside with a wind chill factor. Though not as bad as the weather channel predicted. Their forecast was terrifying.

But what annoys me every year is the dingbats who don’t clean their sidewalks of snow & then ice. Same idiots every year. And always the corner houses who have 2 sidewalks to take c/o & do neither one.

It’s the law where I live! Clean your sidewalks!

Ugh, survived January, but February has started with a major snowstorm in Connecticut. Is it August yet?