Hellboy (2004)

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Way cool.

I'm looking forward to this one, I like what Del Toro did to Blade 2, and can't wait for this one, looking very good.

I too enjoyed Blade II greatly. It was a very fun action movie. Have you seen either of his masterpieces? (To be more specific, have you seen Cronos or The Devil's Backbone?)

No, I haven't, do you recommend them?

Definately.

The Devil's Backbone is one of my favorite movies ever. While it isn't truely scary, it is deeply moving. It is an interesting take on the traditional ghost story setup and asks "What is a ghost?" Federico Luppi plays one of my favorite characters ever....it is just a wonderful movie.

Cronos too is very good, although I don't think it is on the same level as The Devil's Backbone. It is a darker and scarier film (although, again, it isn't really scary), and works very well as a character study. How low is someone willing to stoop to submit to their cravings?It too is an original take on a classic horror creature, in this case, the vampire.

Both films use lots of symbolism, and parallel (The Devil's Backbone in particular) different stages, stereotypes, and aspects of Mexican life.

cool, I'll look into renting them.

Thanks

Anytime.

My rental site only has "The Devil's Backbone", so will be renting that. The other film by Del Torro that it has (other than Blade 2) is "Mimic", is that any good?

I haven't seen that yet, actually. I hear it is anywhere between pretty good and really good, so I'm gonna check it out pretty soon.

Man, this movie looks like it's going to rock.

Any time I hear the name Hellboy now, all I can think of is Rake Yohn in "Haggard".

Evolution in Progress...
Well Beale, I don't know overly much about Hellboy, but i have some Comic Book buff friends so i knew a little (although I would still like to see them do somethign with The Preacher series) but you know what Beale

Ron Pearlman rules, so if he is in this movie, I will see it no matter what, and thanx for the poster so far, they look awesome keep it cool man

"Some people have a gift for stupidity,an almost mystic ability to withstand any form of logic."-David Gemmell

When I become and Evil Lord dominating all mankind to my will if an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.

Will do.

By the way, I'd love to see a Preacher movie series...but I doubt that will happen...anytime soon anyway.

I absolutely cannot wait to see this movie. I eagerly anticipate The Missing b/c it is supposed to have the first trailer for this movie. I have no clue what the story is about but the images that have been released to date have just stupified me with how cool the are. Could you give us a summary on what the basic story of Hellboy is Beale?

Gladly....without giving away anything really:

The Nazis (led by Rasputin...who should prove to be one of the cooler bad guys ever) attempt to summon a demon to help guide them in battle and win their losing war. They accidentally send him to another area, and he is picked up by the allied forces. There he is trained (he is a baby at the time) to have an essentially free will...but they also direct him to be a weapon against his "kind". The day comes, however, when he has the choice between nature and nurture, between his destiny and what he was raised to do, between ultimate good and evil. He is given absolutely free choice for the first time and he chooses for...well...along the way he gets in a bunch of fights...

It is a really great tale of choices, inner strength, and one's nature (whether it turns out to be good or evil, I will not say). And, (maybe ever cooler) It employs huge fight scenes, tons of coolness, the supernatural, Rasputin, Ron Perlman, and (although I sort of said this already) monster battles reminescint of Harryhausen's glory days. I can't wait.

Thanks! This just keeps looking cooler, and cooler by the minute.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
Thanks! This just keeps looking cooler, and cooler by the minute.
Anytime.

Evolution in Progress...
Beale, you are my hero !

The Mad Prophet now gives you (drum-roll): The Hellboy Trailer!

Mind you, it isn't the best quality....