what is the longest movie you have ever had to sit through?

Tools    

Wasn’t Berlin Alexanderplatz a mini series? Or were they screened together at some point before being split up into mini episodes?

It was a miniseries, but it has also been screened fully as well.

I went back and read some of the "old" responses at the beginning of this thread and I almost got a headache

Anyway, not counting mini-series, these are the longest I've seen...

Gone with the Wind (233 minutes)
Once Upon a Time in America (229 minutes)
Lawrence of Arabia (227 minutes)
Seven Samurai (207 minutes)
Malcolm X (202 minutes)
The Godfather, Part II (202 minutes)

The Best of Youth (400 minutes) hasn't been mentioned yet. It's between that movie and Yi Yi for my favorite movie from the 2000's.

According to Letterboxd, the longest film I've got logged is Napoleon which they list at over 5.5 hours, but I don't think my print was that long. (Taped it off TCM in the 90s) So if it isn't Napoleon, then it's Dr Mabuse The Gambler at 4.5 hours.

Probably the LONG edition of The Return of the King (LOTR), intended as an extended DVD release, which was also shown in our local theater. It clocked out at 4 hours and 14 minutes. Surprisingly, if you had bought into the whole concept, the additional scenes really added to the story.

It was, however, a very long evening that required some food and bathroom breaks.

Arabian Nights, Gangs of Wasseypur and Carlos, if you count their different parts together.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Currently its River of Fundament (352 minutes) which imo is excellent but I'll be checking out The First Movie on the Internet [Volume ABCD] soon and I keep telling myself I'm going to finally watch Out 1 or a Lav Diaz movie.

I’m not sure but ‘Once upon a time in America’ felt the longest. Great cinematography but not exactly the most intriguing of narratives.

My Darth Star is in for a service
It isn't the longest I have ever watched it just felt like it!

Mama Mia

What a complete pile of detritus, awful singing, awful acting and awful script!

The Human Centipede is less cringeworthy.

Ben-Hur
Schindler's List

Theatrically I have seen Gone with the Wind (twice) and Lawrence of Arabia (many, many times) as well as The Irishman, to name a few famous flicks with long running times. At least the first two have intermissions. The Irishman did not, and my bladder was screaming at me for the last couple hours.

I wouldn't see Gone with the Wind again with a gun to my head, I see Lawrence of Arabia whenever I can, and as glad as I am to have seen The Irishman for my first viewing on the big screen, the subsequent viewing at home have been just fine.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Probably the LONG edition of The Return of the King (LOTR), intended as an extended DVD release, which was also shown in our local theater. It clocked out at 4 hours and 14 minutes. Surprisingly, if you had bought into the whole concept, the additional scenes really added to the story.

It was, however, a very long evening that required some food and bathroom breaks.
I'm struggling to think of any movies I've seen longer than lotr extended editions. I used to watch them in segments, one disc would be half of each movie. I think more times than not I would just watch a half.

If we're talking longest time sitting in a theater, I once sat through Godfather 1 & 2 at a college screening. Over five hours with a break in between films. But the theater was packed and I didn't notice anyone opting out.

One continuous viewing though? Right off the top of my head I'd have to say any of the LOTR trilogy but I'm pretty sure there's been longer ones than that.

I'm struggling to think of any movies I've seen longer than lotr extended editions. I used to watch them in segments, one disc would be half of each movie. I think more times than not I would just watch a half.
The LOTR extended editions were about as long as I think I could take, especially since I loved the "short" trilogy but knew that this wasn't just a longer version, but one that actually added some content that was important in the books, but didn't make the cut in the original theatrical release. I recall hearing that Jackson really wished he could do 12 hour versions of each movie, but knew that was unrealistic.