Best Anderson (director) of the past decade?

→ in
Tools    

Best Anderson (director) of the past decade?
0%
0 votes
Paul Anderson
66.67%
12 votes
Paul Thomas Anderson
27.78%
5 votes
Wes Anderson
5.56%
1 votes
Pamela Anderson
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Your choice?

Mine is Wes.

Paul Thomas.

For Punch Drunk Love alone.

A novel adaptation.
Very much Wes Anderson.
He's such a breath of fresh air amongst recent directors, and unlike P.T.A, he doesn't rely so much on "neat tricks" to get him through a picture.
I'm still charmed when I pop in a Wes Anderson DVD, and that's something that can be said about few modern filmmakers.

It was beauty killed the beast.
[quote=Herod] ...and unlike P.T.A, he doesn't rely so much on "neat tricks" to get him through a picture. QUOTE]

Such as?

A novel adaptation.
Having his characters break into song, relying on a grating score to build tension, putting thinly veiled metaphors in a script but leaving their actual presence entirely unexplained... etc. etc. etc.

Originally Posted by Herod
Having his characters break into song,
A reference to Magnolia. Hmm. Kong doesn't really see how this got "him through a picture." Really, if a director is going to pull this off in a non-musical film he has to have taken the time to make well formed characters that we can empathize with.

relying on a grating score to build tension,
Well the grating part is simply an opinion, and P.T. Anderson has never relied solely on the score to build up tension. Sure, it helps build up tension, but good scores used to good effect are often supposed to. Kong guesses it depends on if you think music is a trick or not.

putting thinly veiled metaphors in a script but leaving their actual presence entirely unexplained... etc. etc. etc.
Such as....

A novel adaptation.
Such as the car crash at the beginning of Punch Drunk.
And really, nothing was developed to the extent I felt needed in that film.

But let's specify a bit more: I really don't feel very positively or negatively about Sydney or Boogie Nights. They were simply unremarkable films in my eyes. I lack this same ambivalence, however, with his two latest films, Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love.
Don't get me wrong, when I first viewed them I thought they were the hottest things under the sun. Stylish. Revolutionary. Coooooool.
I wanted to have P.T.A.'s baby.
But upon multiple viewings everything mostly fell apart. Magnolia felt more than anything self-indulgent. A long pretentious music video. These people didn't seem realistic, they just felt like exagerrations of characters.
I feel mostly the same way about Punch Drunk Love. Barry's cuteness was too deliberate, much like most of the quirky irregularities of the movie. Worse, Barry's idiosyncracies were the only thing that recieved any attention for development, rather than Lena, or the car crash, or his relationship with his sisters, or the mattress man.

For me, P.T. Anderson's work doesn't stand the test of repeat viewings, one of the main reason's I love Wes Anderson.

But to prove that I actually have thought this over, and that I actually liked P.T.A's style at one point, and because it'll be interesting, here's my initial (although wholly unfinished due to my computer freezing at the time) review of Punch Drunk Love:

Private Message: Fractured review: rewrite, recomplete
11-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Fractured review: rewrite, recomplete

"Hero Says: PTA, not just for school meetings…"

"Well, here goes.
Punch Drunk Love is the latest release from the evidently rapidly developing mind of Paul Thomas Anderson, known mostly in popular circles for his revealing film, Boogie Nights, in which he showed off the faux assets of Marky Mark (and some of the Funky Bunch, I’m sure). But he’s known more in film circles for his later film Magnolia, in which he showed off the faux acting talents of Tommy Cruise and an innate ability to make a 3 hour music video. Both, however, were widely considered (even by myself) to be good films, and thusly his latest; Punch Drunk Love has been much anticipated for it’s release into the public picture shows.

Well deserved anticipation? Possibly. Well deserved acclaim? Definitely.

As a die hard cynic, but also as a die hard fan of fine film, it pains me to say the following as much as I’m sure it will pain the most of you to read it…
This is Adam Sandlers break-out role.
Sandler plays a shy, neurotic who tries his best to deal with the constant, although mostly self-imposed, stress he’s been under through normal daily life. Combine this with an aggressive phone sex maiden, who is trying her hardest to con Sandlers character out of cash through harassment and threats, and also the amazingly engaging score, and you get some of the most intense"

See, I at one time even liked the score! The essence of my change of heart was that it was a gradual thing. Although the real clincher was the recent release of Punch Drunk on DVD, at which point I could review it to my heart's desire.

A novel adaptation.
Why aren't there any Wes fans coming out of the woodwork to support the cause?

Such as the car crash at the beginning of Punch Drunk.
And really, nothing was developed to the extent I felt needed in that film.
Kong saw the car crash as foreshadowing, and symbolic of Barry's future. Kong also felt that Barry was well developed for a romantic comedy character, and his relationship with Lena was well done as well.

But upon multiple viewings everything mostly fell apart. Magnolia felt more than anything self-indulgent. A long pretentious music video. These people didn't seem realistic, they just felt like exagerrations of characters.
Kong had the exact opposite experience. The first time Kong watched it he hated it, but the second time around he loved it. To him the characters feel very authentic. They are simply going through extrodinary times in their lives. Kong as also heard criticism that it's self-indulgent, and pretentious, but Kong has simply never felt that way about it.

I feel mostly the same way about Punch Drunk Love. Barry's cuteness was too deliberate, much like most of the quirky irregularities of the movie. Worse, Barry's idiosyncracies were the only thing that recieved any attention for development, rather than Lena, or the car crash, or his relationship with his sisters, or the mattress man.
Barry is the protagonist. It's no surprise that he is far and away the most developed character. Barry is a very neurotic individual (like Woody Allen), and he is largely defined by his neurotic behavior. It's cool you didn't dig it, but that's it really. It's not that it's bad, you just don't dig it. For Kong, Barry is a wonderful, relatable character and the movie's theme that there is love for even the oddest among us is very uplifting, while not being sappy and sentimental.

For me, P.T. Anderson's work doesn't stand the test of repeat viewings, one of the main reason's I love Wes Anderson.
For Kong, both P.T's and Wes' work stand that test.

See, I at one time even liked the score! The essence of my change of heart was that it was a gradual thing. Although the real clincher was the recent release of Punch Drunk on DVD, at which point I could review it to my heart's desire.
Tastes change...

A novel adaptation.
We're being silly in arguing a matter of opinion, something I only seem to remember after writing long angry posts.
To each his own...
I just wish there were more "each" that agreed with my "own".

I just wish there were more "each" that agreed with my "own".
Kong knows how you feel. Only a handful of people on this forum seem to share similar tastes to Kong.

Personally cant declare an outright favourite between Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia) and Wes Anderson(Rushmore). I rank all the films by both directors very highly. From there debuts of HARD EIGHT and BOTTLEROCKET both directors displayed a natural flair and eccenctricity that burst of the screen.

A combination of well written, memorable and imaginitive charecters are bought to life by both directors and framed in completly different ways with strellar results.

I anticipate both Writer/Directors next works with equal drooling. Can do far worse than love both these guys. Appreciate there over abundant style for the cinematic entertainment and originality that it is.

They make the films they want, the way they want, hoorah.......

Which is more important Air or water????

You're a Genius all the time

I like Wes Anderson and PT Anderson a whole lot. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, naturally, and I don't think either has directed a bad film yet. If I had to give one the edge over the other, I think I prefer PTA. While his earlier flicks relied too heavily on using Scorsese and Altman trademarks as a crutch, everything he's made is still tremendously watchable and entertaining. He's got a one-of-a-kind eye for talent and great visual instincts.

Hard Eight is a brilliant debut. It's a flick that feeds off the performances of its principle cast and, while it doesn't stretch Paul's talents too much, it's still pretty slick. It's not as dynamic as his other stuff, but it's very effective as a straight, understated character piece. Boogie Nights and Magnolia are two overblown, overambitous flicks that look great, but don't amount to much in the end. I think they both have their moments and Anderson's regular stable of actors are great as per usual. And the Alfred Molina drug czar scene in Boogie Nights with crazy Tom Jane and whatnot is one of my favorite sequences in any movie ever. But, yeah, neither Magnolia or Nights impresses the hell out of me. Punch-Drunk Love, meanwhile, impresses the ever loving crap out of me. Every review I've read of that thing described the film as the one where Anderson finally broke free of the shadows of his heroes and made a unique and excellent film in its own right. I don't necessarily agree with that, as Punch-Drunk Love still owes a whole heckuva lot to the collective works of Robert Altman. I love it anyways, though. The innovative use of sound, the simple yet elegant color motifs, the beyond-perfect central romance, the Barry Egan character itself and on and on and on. Punch-Drunk Love is my favorite of his and it's not even that close. There Will Be Blood is a great film and personally, I think that is the only film PTA has made that completely escapes his past influences. It's a great piece of art, but it does lose a little of its luster when you consider that its pretty standard fare if not for Johnny Greenwood's magnificent score and Daniel Day Lewis' scenery gnawing performance. Beautifully shot standard fare, but standard fare nonetheless. So, yeah, to one degree or another, all these films are good. Here's how I'd grade PTA's filmography so far...

Hard Eight, A
Boogie Nights, C+
Magnolia, C+
Punch-Drunk Love, A+
There Will Be Blood, A

Wes Anderson is way cool, too. Linespalsy mentioned it somewhere else on the site, and I agree, that the best thing Wes has going for him is his innate ability to brand all his stuff with his own unique print. He has a knack for creating worlds in which only his characters could inhabit. This is evident in everything he's done. Language and dialogue and songs that could only work in his films. He sets a tone and when you watch a Wes Anderson film, you know you're watching a Wes Anderson film. This can be seen as a weakness, too, as he does seem to be a bit limited in what he can do. He's confined himself to his own set of parameters and who knows if he could make a film that's all that much of a departure from any of his others. And how on earth would his fans react if he tried to mix it up a little? He has kinda trapped himself here, in that while it's nice he's got his own style, all of his stuff is so similar, they seem to blend together and repeat upon themselves. This could get old, but I don't think his voice or language has gotten stale yet.

Bottle Rocket reminds me of Hard Eight, for some reason, and I like it a lot. I've seen it a bunch of times and the two faux-heists are a hoot and a half. Plus, Dignan is a great character. Wes' writing partner, Owen Wilson, has done his best work in Anderson films. Eli from The Royal Tenebaums and especially Dignan from Bottle Rocket are both just hilariously inventive characters and he wrote them for himself. Rushmore is a good movie; critical darling and whatnot. It never really clicked with me like it seems to have done for others, but Bill Murray was fantastic and I am in love with Miss Cross. Tenenbaums is fun, but it's another one I don't have particularly strong feelings about. The Life Aquatic, though, is perfect in my eyes. Bill Murray's even better than he was in Rushmore and the film works great as everything from a clever parody of action popcorners to an ode to the music of David Bowie. And The Darjeeling Limited? I've only seen it once and I liked it. It's got a great soundtrack, three wonderful lead performances and a few dynamite moments. But it's not one of my favorites. It dragged in spots and it's a pretty big red flag for me that, despite what his fans may think, Wes may need to shake things up a bit in his next few flicks. Likewise with PTA, though, every Wes Anderson movie so far is still very good. Here's how I'd grade 'em...

Bottle Rocket, A
Rushmore, B-
The Royal Tenenbaums, B
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, A+
The Darjeeling Limited, B-

So, to sum it all up, both directors are great in their own special way.

Paul (not Thomas) Anderson, meanwhile, sucks hippo lard.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Great ****in' post, Swedish. I agree with your points about Paul Thomas Anderson's past works being too heavily influenced by Scorsese and Altman to the point where it looks like an imitation, but yeah, he's still a darn fine director with a keen visual eye. He also has a good knack for humour too, as evidenced by Boogie Night s.

I'll be real with you here though. I do not like Wes Anderson. There isn't one film of his that will make my Top 500 even. I don't find his work particularly interesting and he hasn't directed a film that's made me sat up and pay attention to him yet. Imo, he is a VERY overrated director and he'll have to pull something large out of his hat to change my mind.

To be honest, I prefer the Anderson you guys have neglected to him. No , not the one with the big ****, but the one has made all those cheesy video game adaptations. The man who decided to add the WS to the package. That man, Paul W fookin' S Anderson is so cheesy it's hard not like him. Mortal Kombat and Death Race are serious guilty pleasures for me. I grew up with the former, and the other was a surprisingly fun overblown action extravaganza. The REAL Fast and Furious and the pipe in my shoe.