Full-Screen

Tools    

Hi all. I'm fairly new to DVD buying and have been reading this thread after finding out that the new Star Wars Trilogy comes in either Wide or Full screen versions. Does anyone know how these films were originally shot, or at least some opinion on what would be better?

I do have a Wide Screen TV (32in) but I was wanting to get the version that would look good on a normal tube too.

Looking at what Holden Pike has posted, Widescreen looks to be the way to go. But I just want to make sure.

Bad Morther****er
Originally Posted by Anubis
Hi all. I'm fairly new to DVD buying and have been reading this thread after finding out that the new Star Wars Trilogy comes in either Wide or Full screen versions. Does anyone know how these films were originally shot, or at least some opinion on what would be better?

I do have a Wide Screen TV (32in) but I was wanting to get the version that would look good on a normal tube too.

Looking at what Holden Pike has posted, Widescreen looks to be the way to go. But I just want to make sure.
Dude reread the thread and think about it for two seconds. While I don't know the exact aspect ratio Star Wars was shot in, if it was shot for a movie screen, which it was, then you'd be better off getting the widescreen version. Star Wars maybe the best example brought up so far because it is so visually stunning, and you don't want to miss out on that.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Most educational.

Despite the compelling examples, I think there are some movies, the little personal kind, that are better with full screen, because I want to see the actors more than the composition of the pictures. For the most part though, I think the wide screen is head and shoulders better.

A system of cells interlinked
Never ever buy fullscreen!!! You are actually getting less of the pictures, even though it is filling up the screen with more image. ANother good example can be seen on The Usual Suspects DVD, or again on the Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home DVD. They have nice little primers about why widescreen is the way to go when trying to experience a film as the director intended....

No competition between Widescreen and Full-Screen. Widescreen owns, but i would rather buy a copy which holds both Widescreen and Full-Screen just incase if i have friends over and they rather perfer Full-Screen. I dont mind watching Full-Screen cause i can probably watch it anytime widescreen.

widescreen is the way to go! that's how movies were meant to be seen in the first place...i can easily put up with those black bars at the top and bottom of my screen....

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Spent most of last night looking for resources on the difference.

After all that investigation, in hindsight, it was a pretty dumb question - especially for a movie like Star Wars where the whole length of the picture tells so much of the story. But this is a aspect of DVD buying I had no idea existed before now.

I can now think of numerous movies I have watched on the box and seen examples of artificial panning. (I assume that's what the blurry panning between characters is). I always thought this was just a camera method some directors used. In any case, I have always hated this, and thought it was un-avoidable.

Anyways, thanks again - Widescreen it is. And I am that much more wiser now I understand the difference.

Originally Posted by Anubis
Anyways, thanks again - Widescreen it is. And I am that much more wiser now I understand the difference.
Welcome to the fold, Brother. Can I get an "Amen"!?!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Resident Metro-Sexual
I have always bought widescreen just for the fact that i knew anything else(fullscreen) was chopping off parts of the film.

Im not going to go into great detail like Holden or Yoda.

Just my preference, Love widescreen, hate fullscreen.

Randomly visiting for now
Of course Widescreen is better, cause you can't miss anything important then, even if the top and bottem black bars are there, if you don't think about them and just watch the movie it doesn't cause as much bother. Agggh recently after reading the thread I've just kept looking at the bars and getting annoyed when I watch DVD's, ohh well

Do you know my poetry?
Well, I don't really think I have anything new to say about Full-Screen, of course I think it sucks also. But what really bothers me, is that people (Well, most people I know anyway), buy everything Full-Screen, and I loathed them for that. But I succesfully changed several people's opinions about full-screen and now they see films in Widescreen format. I mean, it's bad enough most young people I know won't even watch Black & White or foreign films, but hating widescreen makes me dislike them even more.

Widescreen will show us the way!

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
they may choose to add an artifical pan
Uh-hum - excuse me sir - a pan is a camera movement from one position. I think you were reffering to a track. Unless of course they bend the clip in a semi-circle and re-film the footage using an artificial pan, that would be silly though.
"...are your posts getting sloppier..." - I bet you feel like a stupid dumby right now, huh?

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
Uh-hum - excuse me sir - a pan is a camera movement from one position. I think you were reffering to a track. Unless of course they bend the clip in a semi-circle and re-film the footage using an artificial pan, that would be silly though.
"...are your posts getting sloppier..." - I bet you feel like a stupid dumby right now, huh?
My goodness you're a moron.

I bet you feel like a stupid dumby right now, huh?
wow you are an idiot, dumby? i dont thats even a word. You looking for dumb?

Originally Posted by Zzat
wow you are an idiot, dumby? i dont thats even a word. You looking for dumb?
You chose to look past the irony in that, which is fine.

But since your criticizing my grammar, you should have looked over your "i" and "dont", which should have went something like I and DOUBT, not to mention all the other crap in your attempt to write.

You chose to look past the irony in that, which is fine.

But since your criticizing my grammar, you should have looked over your "i" and "dont", which should have went something like I and DOUBT, not to mention all the other crap in your attempt to write.
lol dude i wasnt making fun of you for your grammar.(Which i never did) I just said you spelled a word wrong for saying Holden must feel pretty "dumby" right now.

No Comeback against Holden? Im guess Holden shut you down!

Originally Posted by Zzat
lol dude i wasnt making fun of you for your grammar.(Which i never did) I just said you spelled a word wrong for saying Holden must feel pretty "dumby" right now.

No Comeback against Holden? Im guess Holden shut you down!
Last post about this since I think posting unrelated PERSONAL posts is pretty gay, but here we go.

I'm not gonna respond to Holden because there's nothing to respond to, he didn't make a point. It was a conclusion with no premise - grow up.

You tried to "shut [me] down" by pointing out the word dumby. You even tried to correct the words spelling, which is kind of pointless considering it's not even a word. Again, like I said the irony went by, and that's fine.

Maybe you and Holden can send me some PM's and you two wont have to look like idiots in front of everyone.

-Good Luck

Wow i had no intentions of shutting you down at all what so ever.

How did you get two red bars? Last person i saw with that was a guy name Djarno or something

And wow you called Holden a dike before (PimpDaWanker!), i never realize you use those Titles things.