The Comic Book Tab

Tools    

Semper Fooey
I don't care anymore. They can do whatever they want to those superheroes. The only ones that matter are the ones I grew up with.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Glad to see this place has a thread for comics. I've been meaning to search for one for ages so that I could show off my geekiness for more than just film!

I'm really enjoying Batman just now, but other than that I'm more of a Marvel guy. As a huge Spidey fanboy I've been massively enjoying the series ever since Brand New Day. It's so great to have a consistently quality Spidey title again

Other current favourites are Secret Avengers, Captain America, Captain America & Bucky, Venom and Wolverine & the X-Men. Although my current top comic would definitely have to be Daredevil. Ever since it's relaunch it has been just wonderful.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Bought and read Preacher: Gone To Texas yesterday, and it's mesmerizing stuff. Definitely dark and twisted, but with some nice, offbeat and foul humor to balance out the atmosphere. Very engaging read.

I read most of these over the summer.

The Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics - various artists

A Hundred Headless Woman - Max Ernst

The Hidden - Richard Sala

100 Views of Mount Fuji - Hokusai

A Week of Kindness - Max Ernst

Essential Spider-Man vol. 2 (Amazing Spider-Man no.21-42) - Steve Ditco, Stan Lee and John Romita

The Rocketeer - Dave Stevens

Y: The Last Man vol.1-3 - Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra

Ranma 1/2 vol.1-2 - Rumiko Takahashi

Pogo: The Complete Daily & Sunday Comic Strips, Vol. 1 - Walt Kelly

Y: The Last Man vol.4 - Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra et al

Apollo's Song - Tezuka Osamu

The Three Golden Keys - Peter Sís

Cross Game vol.1-8 (complete) - Mitsuru Adachi

Hunter X Hunter vol.28 and 29 - Yoshihiro Tatsumi
and

The Hive - Charles Burns

The Book of Mr. Natural - R. Crumb

Nancy Eats Food - Ernie Bushmiller

Y: The Last Man vol.4 - Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra et al
You don't like that volume in particular or the whole comic book?

Just Got the last Hitman

Lately read Transmetropolitan(Warren Ellis)-
-have to say Spider Jerusalem is one of my heroes

You don't like that volume in particular or the whole comic book?
I thought Y: The Last Man started out okay and has an interesting premise, but the character development is often horribly clunky and pat, and it's already wearing thin (I think it started to bother around when Hero and Yorick first confronted each other after the apocalypse). I don't hate the series as a whole (yet), but I've liked each volume a little less than the previous ones so far.

Semper Fooey
Peter Parker is no more in comic books. He died and now Doc Oc has taken over his body and became Spiderman, but he is now good.

No kidding.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Once they figure out they just killed their fan base, they will bring Peter Parker back.

Also, currently reading Hush.

Suspect's Reviews

Constant faked plot developments like cyclically killing and resurrecting characters is what killed me (metaphorically as a member of the fan base) in the first place. And now that I'm dead I don't want to be resurrected.

Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes - Carl Barks

The episodic plots didn't totally grab me in this first volume of the collected works of Carl Barks but there is some excellent drawing and effects throughout. I'll be sure to check out the next couple volumes that have already been released.

Dance till Tomorrow vol.1 - Naoki Yamamoto. Sexy sitcom that follows college student Suekichi in his quest to finish school so he can gain an inheritance and sink it into the avant garde theatre troupe ('Bondage Horse') he pals around with, all the while having a beautiful stranger constantly throw herself at him. Its equal parts of formula and oddness make for some addictive light reading.

I also read the first volume of Yamamoto's Anjuu no Chi ('Peaceful Earth'?) which is pretty much just gratuitous sex and disconnected domestic scenes in a mythical mountainside town in the middle of nowhere (China?), punctuated with glimpses of a senseless war and just plain oddness. (The townsfolk subsist on a diet of pickled rocks). Overall somewhat interesting but I wonder if it'll ever come together.

The New Sun - Taro Yashima's impressionistic early '40s memoir of imperial Japan and his and his wife's imprisonment. Pretty fascinating but it ends rather abruptly.

Niji Iro Togarashi vol.1 - Mitsuru Adachi's lighthearted "period" manga with samurai and flying saucers in old Edo (Tokyo). So far so good (
).

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I've really fallen out of love with comics. I don't find them all that creative anymore. Which is why it shocked me to find that Newbury comics had this 8 pound monster of a book on sale for dirt cheap:

Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's superhero satire X-Statix was a book that I loved when it was on the stands. It never really got the audience it deserved, due to it originally being titled X-Force (making Rob Liefield fanboys angry and demand a re-title) and then the series ending controversy over the re-animated Princess Diana storyline. The book was a smart, sick, dark humored look at celebrity worship, media manipulation, and featured a cast of "heroes" who cared more about being famous than helping people. Characters were introduced and killed off at alarming rates, the series had its share of graphic violence, and the pop art influenced artwork was like nothing ever seen in the pages of a Marvel book before or since. If you don't mind lugging around a monster of a book, this is one to get. I wish Marvel was still this daring.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Natane volumes 2 & 3 by Mitsuru Adachi -

7 Miles a Second by David Wojnarowicz, James Romberger & Marguerite Van Cook -
+ (great artwork though)
Donald Duck: A Christmas for Shacktown by Carl Barks -

NonNonBa by Shigeru Mizuki -

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Punk Rock Jesus - Sometimes you read something that just flat out knocks your socks off, and for me, this is it. A sci-fi comic about an ill-fated attempt to clone Jesus Christ for a reality tv show. This, of course, goes disastrously wrong almost right off the bat, and the "second coming" rebels against his corporate masters, fronting a punk rock band and preaching atheism to an angry populace. I LOVED this comic. I was surprised to see that it was published by Vertigo Comics, which is owned by Time Warner...I suppose that so few people read comics nowadays that you can publish something so obviously intended to provoke...Thumbs way way way up.

I know this is mainstream, but I encourage everyone to read Thor God Of Thunder written by Jason Aaron (who is in the zone completely on this title, and has a Walt Simonson tone), and drawn/painted by Esad Ribic.

since my last post I've read (ranked from favorite to least)...

Dance till tomorrow vol. 2 by Naoki Yamamoto -
Sunny vol.1 by Taiyo Matsumoto -
Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story by Peter Bagge -
Niji Iro Togarashi vol. 4 by Mitsuru Adachi -
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the Ultimate collection vol. 1) by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird -