Best Steve Martin Movie

Tools    

Originally Posted by LloydDobbler
It seems that no one has mentioned "The Lonely Guy".
I think this is an hilarious Steve Martin film. The interactions with Martin and Charles Grodin are fantastic.
Most of the other movies (except "Cheaper By The Dozen") are great too, but I think "The Lonely Guy" has been overlooked.
Really? I think it has been correctly overlooked, because it's duller than dishwater. Here's what I posted in the "I Need A Quick Review" thread a couple days ago regarding The Lonely Guy...

Extremely disappointing. Very forgettable and dull. Too bad. The story and the cast seem like a sure thing, but alas. Arthur Hiller made a couple really good movies, most especially The Hospital and The In-Laws (1979). But more often than not his movies lacked any kind of spark or wit. The Lonely Guy is very much one of those stinkers.

It's definitely not the worst Steve Martin movie, but it is one of the dullest. The Lonely Guy was released the same year as All of Me. Watch those two back to back for the full effect of how much of a waste The Lonely Guy really is compared to what Steve is capable of on screen. It's a dog.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Yes, it's true. I really shouldn't rush to judgement based on a lously trailer and the fact that he's trying to take over a character that nobody will ever be able to take over. No, I should rush to judgement based on his performance of a completely different kind of character in a movie from nearly twenty years ago. That does make more sense.
The trailer wasn't that bad. The character has already been taken over--it's Martin's now. And no, you shouldn't rush into judgment based solely on your prejudices and mistaken (IMO) assumptions. You might well have some solid points on your side, but wait until you see the movie before rushing to a verdict before the facts. Steve Martin has similar comedic skills to Peter Sellers--both excelled/excel at offbeat character portrayals and farce. I think Steve Martin has the skills and talent to pull this off. Whether he does or not is another question, but let's wait and see.

I always liked the Jerk & The Father Of The Brides

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
The man with two brains, Dr. Hoffhurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Always makes me laugh!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Cheaper By The Dozen

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Ice Queen
Cheaper By The Dozen
I think you have something seriously wrong with you. Or perhaps you just havn't seen alot of Steve Martin films.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I'm going to agree with Blib, for he is wise.

My 4 all time Steve Martin movies are The Jerk, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Bowfinger.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Bowfinger
I think you have something seriously wrong with you. Or perhaps you just havn't seen alot of Steve Martin films.

I keeeeed! I Kid. Because I love.

Not that film though, thats rubbish.

I See You When You're Sleeping
[contradict]

I'm not going to agree with Blib, for he is not wise.

[/contradict]

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Cheaper by the Dozen wasn't that bad. I dunno....I guess I look at it more as a family movie like The Parent Trap than as a serious attempt targeted towards adults. I look at family movies a little differently...they're sort of becoming the B-rated movies of old times....or the Disney family movies of the 60's-70's, like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969). They're cheesy and can be picked apart, but still enjoyable for the family to watch together. To tell you the truth, my kids love it and have seen alot.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Cheaper by the Dozen wasn't that bad. I dunno....I guess I look at it more as a family movie like The Parent Trap than as a serious attempt targeted towards adults. I look at family movies a little differently...they're sort of becoming the B-rated movies of old times....or the Disney family movies of the 60's-70's, like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969). They're cheesy and can be picked apart, but still enjoyable for the family to watch together. To tell you the truth, my kids love it and have seen alot.
I see where your coming from Anni my sweet but im just not a fan of the family targeted movies. Obviously theres exceptions that i love but as i was watching this i just felt like it was re-processed cliche viewing. Nothing new. And maybe it was all the kids in it. A lot of them were a bit annoying. But as you say, it does feel like family movies are becoming the B-Movies of today. If thats what you meant. I guess i would appreciate this a lot more if i had my own kids or was around them more often. My heart has grown cold and synical when it comes to recieving new films. Hopefully that will change as i grow older into my 'Werthers original' years...

I LOVE Steve Martin. What I own . . .

The Jerk (1979) ~ Love
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) ~ Love
The Man with Two Brains (1983) ~ Love
All of Me (1984) ~ Love
¡Three Amigos! (1986) ~ Love
Roxanne (1987) ~ Love
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) ~ Love
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) ~ Like
Parenthood (1989) ~ Love
My Blue Heaven (1990) ~ Like
Father of the Bride (1991) ~ Like
Grand Canyon (1991) ~ Love
HouseSitter (1992) ~ OK
Leap of Faith (1992) ~ Not really.
Sgt. Bilko (1996) ~ OK
The Out-of-Towners (1999) ~ Have yet to see. I bought it 7 years ago, and it is still in the plastic. You're going to tell me to leave it there, aren't you?!?

Don't have, but want . . .

The Lonely Guy (1984) ~ Love
Little Shop of Horrors (1986) ~ Love

I have these two recorded off of cable, and that'll do. They were OK, but not his best.

A Simple Twist of Fate (1994)
Bringing Down the House (2003)

Have yet to see . . .

Pennies from Heaven (1981)
Mixed Nuts (1994)
Father of the Bride Part II (1995)
Bowfinger (1999)
The Pink Panther (2006)

Pennies from Heaven is the only one I aim to BUY, to view, because someone on this board carries on about it allot. Something tells me that it is really good.

I saw more on his IMDB list, but I've never heard of them before.

I LOVE Steve Martin. What I own . . .

The Jerk (1979) ~ Love
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) ~ Love
The Man with Two Brains (1983) ~ Love
All of Me (1984) ~ Love
¡Three Amigos! (1986) ~ Love
Roxanne (1987) ~ Love
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) ~ Love
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) ~ Like
Parenthood (1989) ~ Love
My Blue Heaven (1990) ~ Like
Father of the Bride (1991) ~ Like
Grand Canyon (1991) ~ Love
HouseSitter (1992) ~ OK
Leap of Faith (1992) ~ Not really.
Sgt. Bilko (1996) ~ OK
The Out-of-Towners (1999) ~ Have yet to see. I bought it 7 years ago, and it is still in the plastic. You're going to tell me to leave it there, aren't you?!?

Don't have, but want . . .

The Lonely Guy (1984) ~ Love
Little Shop of Horrors (1986) ~ Love

I have these two recorded off of cable, and that'll do. They were OK, but by damn far his best.

A Simple Twist of Fate (1994)
Bringing Down the House (2003)

Have yet to see . . .

Pennies from Heaven (1981)
Mixed Nuts (1994)
Father of the Bride Part II (1995)
Bowfinger (1999)
The Pink Panther (2006)

Pennies from Heaven is the only one I aim to BUY, to view, because someone on this board carries on about it allot. Something tells me that it is really good.

I saw more on his IMDB list, but I've never heard of them before.

Also, click my signature. I love this scene.
Holy, Destiny, you went all out on this didn't you? lol

I think I've said this before, in fact I KNOW I said this before, but I don't like Steve Martin much, but I thought Bowfinger was good.

My absolute favorite Steve Martin flick would have to be Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, but he has some other great one too!

A Few Of My Favourites

Man with two brains,
Planes, trains and automobile's,
Roxanne,
Dirty rotten scoundrels,
Sgt Bilko,
Bowfinger,
Out of towners,
Mixed Nuts,
Cheaper By the dozen!!!

But my favourite out of this list is: Man with two brains, followed by Plane trains automobiles