Reviews by Garrett

→ in
Tools    

Great review Garrett... I'm not a big slasher fan but this sounds interesting... thanks...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I have no clue where to begin looking for this movie without ordering from the internet, but I really wouldn't mind seeing this. It's not every day you get a modern horror film where you get the impression that the director has taste and uses gore in a way that isn't needless.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Thanks, guys.

Man I have to go and see this now.

I agree with you 100% on the fact we have to go to foriegn sources to find better scares.

Then again I think foriegn romance films are more valueable to, they seem to be better.

Keep up the great work Garrett!

Randomly visiting for now
I liked your Kill Bill II review, captured all the important aspects of the film and you were accurate in your interpretation of the characters and themes good job. It was a lot better than the first and the directing was brilliant, I'd give it about four stars too. cya

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Garrett

Haute Tension (Switchblade Romance)
congrats for the review!
i must say i was rather disappointed, but tis my personal opinion. i prefer the kinda horror thrillers Spaniards and Catalans are becoming so good at.
the end was a surprise though, and made the rest retrospectively better, but i found the killer lacking of any charisma i like about killers (is it just me??), the aesthetics are not to my taste (like in Korean movies, details and especially *nuances* are) - yep, that's the word, nuances lack here - and too many illogical events (like how can she get outta the car? SOOOOOOOO much bleeding without getting weaker? come on!!) are annoying - i know, at the end, everything's become clearer and more logical (except the blood loss...), but till i got there, i was feeling already so annoyed that i had a hard time appreciating the movie, and i'm usually not the impatient audience that wants everything clear from a beginning, quite the opposite.
like always, a matter of taste. but as a frog , i think frogs can do better, and more delicate and intelligent horror than this movie.

I want to see this, Switchblade Romance as its been called here. It doesnt seem to have been released anywhere but London but is on DVD after crimbo so i shall get it then.
Note on the Lone Wolf and Cub films, dont forget Shogun Assassin, a re-edited version of Sword of Vengeance and River Styx, dubbed in English to make a new film (i believe). I need to see the the Babycart films as well lol.

Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters (1985)
In Paul Schrader's most ambitious work as a director he recalls the life and fiction of Japanese author Yukio Mishima. The film is structured in a clever albeit somewhat confusing manner; interspersing color dramatizations of Mishima's fiction, black and white flashbacks to his upbringing, and the day of his ritual suicide. Paul Schrader has created a visually pleasing image of Mishima, while not really establishing a perspective on the man himself. This makes the whole affair quite impersonal and unengaging. In the end all we're left with is a cold photograph of Mishima where we should have established an understanding of the man. There is, however, one thing this movie has going for it: the cinematography of John Bailey; it alone is enough reason to at least rent the movie.
All I can say is nice try, Mr. Schrader. Recomended viewing for fans of Mishima who will want to praise or condemn it accordingly.
Starring Ken Ogata. Rated R.

Nice review. I really thought the whole point of the movie was that Mishima "the man" treated his life as one of his novels. To get a "perspective on Mishima" you have to go to his books, the Ken Ogata character is just a stand in. I thought he was an interesting choice to play Mishima though, who for me compares well with his Enokizu character in Vengeance is Mine (which I'm almost tempted to link back to Mishima's over-the-top performance in the 1966 film adaptation of Patriotism).

The Temple of the Golden Pavilion sequences were fantastic, it's my favorite of his novels by far and these are the standout portions of the film for me.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
To get a "perspective on Mishima" you have to go to his books.
Exactly. This is why I think this movie was nothing more than a visual wet-dream. I would rather curl up with one of his books than watch this movie.
Originally Posted by linespalsy
The Temple of the Golden Pavilion sequences were fantastic, it's my favorite of his novels by far and these are the standout portions of the film for me.
The Temple of the Golden Pavillion sequences were easily the most memorable part of the movie.

Perhaps you're right, maybe I am missing the point. Or maybe my expectations were just too high.

(By the way, I've got a copy of Vengeance is Mine on my shelf, I'll try and get around to it tonight or this weekend.)

Hitchhiking the galaxy
Directed by Garth Jennings
Screenplay by Douglas Adams, Karey Kirkpatrick
2005, 110 min, PG

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a movie that I have been anticipating as well as dreading for a long time; fearing that they would ruin something as treasured as Douglas Adams' masterpiece. The jump from novel to film is a bumpy road in Garth Jennings' feature film debut.

RAWR!
A better cast couldn't have been put together. The four main characters are played by Martin Freeman (The Office), Mos Def, Sam Rockwell, and Zooey Deschanel (who is, quite frankly, too adorable for her own good). Martin Freeman is probably the best choice to play Adams' hero, a confused everyman. The real gem, though, is Sam Rockwell, who breathes new life into everyone's favorite stuck-up, dimwitted president (... I'm talking about Zaphod Beeblebrox here, guys). The voice of Marvin is provided by the perfectly dull Alan Rickman.

MAGRATHEA!
Ford Prefect has been stripped of most of the wit of the original character and falls into the background, for the most part forgotten. Arthur has also been changed quite a bit, as the movie centers more around a relationship between he and Trillian. There are also a few original characters and events that Adams created specifically for the film (John Malkovich makes a very amusing appearance).

Though flawed, the film manages to find it's niche among the other embodiments of Douglas Adams' tale. It's worth seeing, though you might want to wait for a rental. For the those of you inclined to ratings, I give it about a 7/10.

(Notable guest appearances include Simon Jones, who played all previous incarnations of Arthur Dent, and the Marvin the Paranoid Android from the miniseries.)

I agree with everything you said. Sam Rockwell is amazing in everything he does, I really loved his performance. Also, the movie does take quite a few liberties in telling the story from page to screen but I liked it. What'd you think of the opening with the dolphins?

I saw it today, it wasn't great but i enjoyed it. No one was laughing during the movie which is a worry for a comedy, it felt like an extended TV episode.

As for the Dolphins, an the Whale, now, that was funny.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
What'd you think of the opening with the dolphins?
It was a little funny but more or less unnecessary.

I thought it hilarious. Necessary, unnecessary, these terms don't apply here my son.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
While I didn't love the twist, I'll say that it wasn't at all a deal breaker for me.

Aja worked tension in that movie better than any horror director of the past 6 years.