Reading Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Then possibly On The Road by Jack Kerouac which I started last year but never finished.
I've got that one sitting here waiting to be read as well.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Sleezy
I've got that one sitting here waiting to be read as well.
It's very good, but sometimes one can only take so much rambling before they want it to actually "go somewhere."

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Speaking of rambling, I'm almost finished with The Orchid Thief. Orlean does some absolutely fan-freaking-tastic reporting here, but falls victim to the New Yorker way of rambling at length about the same thing.

I don't mind it that much though and I really, really, really dig the book. Though she may not know when to shut up, she has some pretty remarkable descriptions throughout. Gets my recommendation.

In the Beginning...
It's very good, but sometimes one can only take so much rambling before they want it to actually "go somewhere."
Crap.

Well, this rambling better be gold.

In the Beginning...
To anyone who likes to read good stuff:

Shooting an Elephant, by George Orwell

This is easily one of the best pieces of writing I've read in a long time. Having read 1984 recently, I'm now quite fond of Mr. Orwell. But I wasn't really floored by him until this.

(It ain't long, if'n you're interested.)

Reading that early short stories book by Thomas Pynchon. Forget what it's called. Also been reading Fake Fish. Recommend something. I'm up for pretty much anything.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Garrett
Recommend something. I'm up for pretty much anything.
1984, George Orwell
Longitude, Dava Sobel
The Things They Carried, Tim O'Brien
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Chuck Barris

MovieForums Extra
I just finished "Cell" by Stephen King. I'm not usually a fan of gory details, but I just could not put this book down. I read it in one day. The man's still got it. (Oh, and the book mentions the city where I live...... ) He has another book due out in October...not bad for somebody who is in "retirement."

Fake Fish the Nancy Shields book on Abe's plays? Have you read any of the plays themselves? Friends and the two collections of Donald Keene-translated plays (3 Plays and The Man Who Turned Into a Stick) both get my recommendation.

Right now I'm reading the Obscene Bird of Night, by Jose Donoso. Recommend that as well, if you want something weird and somewhat incoherent.

Originally Posted by birdygyrl
I just finished "Cell" by Stephen King. I'm not usually a fan of gory details, but I just could not put this book down. I read it in one day. The man's still got it. (Oh, and the book mentions the city where I live...... ) He has another book due out in October...not bad for somebody who is in "retirement."
I just finished Cell by Stephen King as well, although I didn't read it in one day. It was good - not great - but pretty good. It deals with people losing their minds and becoming zombie-like when an event known as The Pulse happens all around the world, via cell phones - and the book follows the story of a few survivors who team up to just walk through a few states cause there's nothing else to do. If you like Stephen King, knock yourself out.

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Great. Episodic but still with a strong central narrative. Steinbeck really has a way of capturing the reader with his fascinating, detailed characters. Even if you have no interest in anything he writes about, you ought to read some Steinbeck.

In the Beginning...
Steinbeck really has a way of capturing the reader with his fascinating, detailed characters. Even if you have no interest in anything he writes about, you ought to read some Steinbeck.
I've been told that I write like Steinbeck. Which means nothing to me, because I haven't read any Steinbeck to see if it's true or not (and if it's actually a compliment ). I really should get on that. I've got five Steinbeck novels sitting right here.

I've been told that I write like Steinbeck. Which means nothing to me, because I haven't read any Steinbeck to see if it's true or not (and if it's actually a compliment ). I really should get on that. I've got five Steinbeck novels sitting right here.
That's incredibly complementary. You have no idea. It means you can appeal to just about anyone and write about ordinary things in a way that transports them to another plane of experience and makes them seem extrodinary. That's what I think of Steinbeck anyway. Read him right away!

Been a while since I posted here, so, I'll give a brief, not complete run down of wha tI have been reading:

Frederik Pohl - A lot of his books, I love them, his writing is awesome and I see him up there with the Sci-Fi greats!
Zappa Biog
Jim Morisson Biog
Armor by John Steakley

And Im currently reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds.

Has anyone read anything by Conrad? I started The Secret Agent a while ago with high hopes, but existentialism must have been big at the time because for every page containing the actual narrative there are 3 or 4 pages of rambling psycho-analysis and philsophy. That stuff is interesting for a while, but eventually I got sick of it and had to put the book aside. Is he worth another try?

history *is* moralizing

Marvelous book, just like the previous one, so i take it eveything is *still* illuminated.

Lets put a smile on that block
Heart of Darkness is practically required reading in college. Not one of my favorites, but a necessary read...
Urgh i read that in Uni. Not a fan.

there's a frog in my snake oil
It's a powerful book tho man - damn powerful. Apocalypse Now did it a lot of justice too