Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've only seen these two Adam Sandler movies and I even liked them, for what they were.

Happy Gilmore (1996)
Billy Madison (1995)

I might watch The Wedding Singer one of these days, but yeah most of his film aren't what I would prefer to watch.

So....everybody will be happy to know, I watched another beloved comedy film (this time from the late 1970s) and I hated it! I'll review that soon, so you guys get your rotted tomatoes ready.

The only Adam Sandler movies that I've seen are:

Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - I remember very little about this movie, except being surprised that it was a good movie, and not one of his stupid comedies.

Click (2006) - Hubby and I watched this while riding on the auto-train, and I mainly remember people shushing us when we laughed.

Bedtime Stories (2008) - I liked this movie.

Grown Ups (2010) - This is one of the stupidest movies ever made.

Hotel Transylvania (2012) (voice) - This is an animated movie, so it's only his voice, but I enjoyed the movie enough that I want to see the sequel.

Pixels (2015) - I think I'm the only person in the world who liked this movie.

I've never seen Every Which Way But Loose, but I love the theme song:

Ah, it's a marvel, GBG. Especially an idiotic motocycle band "The Black Widows", a parody of Hell's Angels.

I usually confuse it with Any Which WayYou Can, the follow-up which I actually prefere.

The only scenes I've seen in Every Which Way But Loose are a couple of clips with Clyde the orangutan, but they were probably in the trailer. I remember Clint Eastwood sticking his finger out like a gun, and Clyde putting his arms up, and Clint saying "Right turn, Clyde", and Clyde punching someone.

The only scenes I've seen in Every Which Way But Loose are a couple of clips with Clyde the orangutan, but they were probably in the trailer. I remember Clint Eastwood sticking his finger out like a gun, and Clyde putting his arms up, and Clint saying "Right turn, Clyde", and Clyde punching someone.
Yes, and then The Black Widows fell like dominos. (They were arranged that way next to a truck from which Clyde has punched the 1st one.)

Any Which Way you Can also has one of my fave fights:

It begins just before the two our mark.

I like Vertigo, but I think James Stewart and Kim Novak didn't have any chemistry together, and yes, I think their age difference was part of the reason. But I have a bad fear of heights, and I get dizzy, and sometimes even pass out, in high places, so I can relate to what he's going through.
Ditto. It's one of my faves, and yes, they really didn't have any chemistry. I don't think it's just the age, as you say, I think they're unfortunately simply incompatible. But then we have her "appearing again", so maybe it was for the best. I, on the other hand love heights, the higher the better, it's being down on earth I can't stand. I'd fly with airplanes all day long if I could. (Mostly taking off and landing, though because that way I'd be taking off all the time, which I adore. Nothing compares to it. You know the acceleration, if you ever flied, it reaches 300 kmh in 30 secs or less. Concorde had a ridiculous acceleration, to 450 kmh in 15 secs.)

Let's see if I can do a big, long multi-quote...

I added Zero Hour! to my watchlist, but I doubt I'll get to it before I have to submit my 1950's list, so I hope it's not that good.
It's not...But if you watch Airplane! first and then watch Zero Hour!, I think you'd have some fun with it.

I've never seen Every Which Way But Loose, but I love the theme song:
You never seen that movie? I'm really surprised I would have thought with all the movies you seen you would have seen it, especially as it has several country western songs being performed in western cowboy bars. You might not like all the fist fighting, but the music was good.

I haven't seen The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934) either, but it has a great cast, so please remind me about it when we get to the MoFo 1930's list.
If we ever get to do the MoFo 1930's list....I can image resistances to doing it will be high

I love Every Which Way but Loose, one of my biggest childhood favorites.
Have you seen the sequel, Any Which Way You Can?

Vertigo (1958). It's one of my faves, and yes, they really didn't have any chemistry. I don't think it's just the age, as you say, I think they're unfortunately simply incompatible.
I agree and I've said this before, Kim Novak was very, very shy in real life so I think it was hard for her to 'come out of her shell' and show an attraction for James Stewart. And she might have thought of James Stewart as a father figure, not a lover! She did have chemistry with Frank Sinatra in The Man With the Golden Arm. So I know she can light up the screen under the right circumstances.

I, on the other hand love heights, the higher the better, it's being down on earth I can't stand. I'd fly with airplanes all day long if I could. (Mostly taking off and landing, though because that way I'd be taking off all the time, which I adore. Nothing compares to it. You know the acceleration, if you ever flied, it reaches 300 kmh in 30 secs or less. Concorde had a ridiculous acceleration, to 450 kmh in 15 secs.)
Beatle, have you been on the Concorde?

[quote=Citizen Rules;1555720]I agree and I've said this before, Kim Novak was very, very shy in real life so I think it was hard for her to 'come out of her shell' and show an attraction for James Stewart. And she might have thought of James Stewart as a father figure, not a lover! She did have chemistry with Frank Sinatra in The Man With the Golden Arm. So I know she can light up the screen under the right circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I love her. In every way possible. I really just wonder why the age difference. Hitch couldn't find a better one of the right age? Maybe, because was she maybe even his favorite actress? The proverbial Hitch cold blonde. And unlike Grace, who was utterly beautiful (don't get me wrong Kim is also, but Grace is just a devastation), feminine, more of a femme fatale, and also cold though, she was more of a casual type I think maybe. I seem to recall reading there was always a horrible tension between Grace and him - they had to keep it strictly professional.

[qoute]Beatle, have you been on the Concorde?
No. Have you? I've only been on Beoing 727, Mcdonnell-Douglas DC 9 and Airbuss 300.

Here are all my trips:

'79 to Dubrovnik via DC 9. It was ridiculous. We were supposed to take off at 8 am, but instead it was 12 hours later. I remember being utterly pissed because obviously at night I couldn't see anything. Dubrovnik is about 400 kms (250 miles) from Zagreb, and still we arrived in half an hour! The airplane couldn't even reach its cruising altitude! (About 11 kms) It went up and up and then immediately down and down.

Winter of '81 to Venice
'84 to Canary Islands
'85 to Val d'Isere and Vienna
'86 to Spain (Madrid, Toledo (El Greco's funeral painting is there), Cordoba, Sevilla and Granada)
'87 to London and Athens and around Greece
'88 to Barcelona
'90 to Amsterdam and Scottland.

Where have you been to?

Nope, I've never been on the Concorde.

Wow! Sounds like you've seen some cool stuff in Europe I wish I could go to Europe but the cost of an airline ticket plus the cost of the vacation is just too expensive for me.

So where have I been? Mainly just the Caribbean and Central America...Mexico and Canada too as they are close to the U.S. borders. Mostly I've done ship cruises to travel as they are economical and easy to do, and you get to visit a bunch of countries in one trip. Last time I went somewhere was a few months ago and I took a short vacation to B.C. Vancouver Island, Canada. It's very nice there.

Nope, I've never been on the Concorde.

Wow! Sounds like you've seen some cool stuff in Europe I wish I could go to Europe but the cost of an airline ticket plus the cost of the vacation is just too expensive for me.

So where have I been? Mainly just the Caribbean and Central America...Mexico and Canada too as they are close to the U.S. borders. Mostly I've done ship cruises to travel as they are economical and easy to do, and you get to visit a bunch of country in one trip. Last time I went somewhere was a few months ago and I took a short vacation to B.C. Vancouver Island, Canada. It's very nice there.
I'd really like to go to Canada, USA and Mexico too. I heard you can drive through Canadian forests, mountains and lakes without encountering anyone for hours! There's just so much to see in the USA...And Mexico also, because I heard there's no concept of time there. A guy from here went there and had a meeting with someone. But the guy was three hours late.

- Where have you been?!
- I don't know.
- You're three hours late!!!!
- So what? I'm here now. Now, did I come or what?

Favorite destinations:

Montreal, San Francisco and New Orleans.

But it looks like I'll be off to Paris this year afterall. Despite of all that's going on. That certainly won't stop me.

I like Vertigo, but I think James Stewart and Kim Novak didn't have any chemistry together, and yes, I think their age difference was part of the reason. But I have a bad fear of heights, and I get dizzy, and sometimes even pass out, in high places, so I can relate to what he's going through.
Ditto. It's one of my faves, and yes, they really didn't have any chemistry. I don't think it's just the age, as you say, I think they're unfortunately simply incompatible. But then we have her "appearing again", so maybe it was for the best.
It's interesting that you don't think it's the age difference between James Stewart and Kim Novak that caused the lack of chemistry because I've seen other movies with this type of large difference in the ages between the male and female leads, and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

For example, I love Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn together in Charade (1963), and there was a 25-year age difference between them. And I recently watched the movie Teacher's Pet (1958) with Clark Gable and Doris Day, and I thought they were great together too, despite the 21-year age difference between them.

I, on the other hand love heights, the higher the better, it's being down on earth I can't stand. I'd fly with airplanes all day long if I could. (Mostly taking off and landing, though because that way I'd be taking off all the time, which I adore. Nothing compares to it. You know the acceleration, if you ever flied, it reaches 300 kmh in 30 secs or less. Concorde had a ridiculous acceleration, to 450 kmh in 15 secs.)
I hate flying in airplanes, but that doesn't stop me from traveling by plane. However my general rule is that I try to fall asleep before the plane takes off, and I don't want to be woken until after the plane lands.

Let's see if I can do a big, long multi-quote...

It's not...But if you watch Airplane! first and then watch Zero Hour!, I think you'd have some fun with it.
I'm surprised that you said to watch them in that order. I thought it would have made more sense to watch Zero Hour! first, and then have Airplane! follow it. But I'll watch them in the the order that you recommended.

You never seen that movie? I'm really surprised I would have thought with all the movies you seen you would have seen it, especially as it has several country western songs being performed in western cowboy bars. You might not like all the fist fighting, but the music was good.
No, I have the DVD of Every Which Way But Loose because I found it cheap at a garage sale a while back, but I still haven't watched it. I've seen a bunch of Clint Eastwood movies, but most of them aren't really my type of movies, so I rarely go out of my way to watch his movies. I have nothing against him, but he's just never been a favorite actor of mine.

If we ever get to do the MoFo 1930's list....I can image resistances to doing it will be high
Yeah, unfortunately I think you may be right about that, but I'm not giving up hope.

It's interesting that you don't think it's the age difference between James Stewart and Kim Novak that caused the lack of chemistry because I've seen other movies with this type of large difference in the ages between the male and female leads, and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

For example, I love Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn together in Charade (1963), and there was a 25-year age difference between them. And I recently watched the movie Teacher's Pet (1958) with Clark Gable and Doris Day, and I thought they were great together too, despite the 21-year age difference between them.
Yes, I don't care much about age. I'm a strong believer in individualism. We're all different, we all know that, and it just so happens some couples are compatible, some aren't.

Spotlight (Tom McCarthy 2015)
Director: Tom McCarthy
Writers: Josh Singer, Tom McCarthy
Cast: Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama

About: Based on the true life story of the Boston Globe newspaper investigate efforts to uncover a massive cover up scandal, involving child molestation by priest in the Catholic Church...and an even larger cover up by the community.

Wow! what a powerful movie and sadly it's all true. Spotlight won the Academy Award for Best Picture and and another Academy Award for Best Screen Play. In this reviewer's opinion it was well deserving of both Oscars.

Spotlight is reminiscent of the 1976 classic All The President's Men. The focus of the movie is on the investigative efforts of a four person team at the Boston Globe called Spotlight. We follow the bread crumb evidence as the investigate team seek out and find new information to prove this huge conspiracy.

This is not a character driven movie, we hardly get to know the back story and personalities of the news reporters. We don't need to know much about them. The focus is on the uncovering of the molestation scandal.

We don't see much action, we don't see any of the priest actually abuse the kids. We do learn that an estimated 6% of Catholic Priest are involved in molesting children. We learn that the Catholic hierarchic including the Cardinal, look the other way as this abuse happens. In Boston alone we learn that there is a shocking 87 priest confirmed by their victims as abusing children.

Yay! I got Spotlight for my mom for her 84th birthday a couple months ago. (She said she wanted to see it... she's not Catholic, so I don't know why she was so interested... maybe because it won the oscar?)

Anyway, my parents watched it then gave it to me to watch - it's still on my shelf.
So now I can watch it and be able to compare it to the review.
(4 stars is now making me look forward to it.)