Cole's Film Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
A Clockwork Orange - could have been a better film if it focused on satirizing the nature of violence that can generate from a dystopia instead of following around proto-punk Alex and his meagerly enjoyable rebellious adventures. But overall the very dark humor and biting wit is enough to make it a pretty good film.

Gonna add these in here...

Clockwork Orange - NR
What is this? If you are actually not sure what to think, that's one thing, but everything you said after tells me that your feelings towards Clockwork are "I hated it but other people like it so I'm scared to say anything bad." The best thing you can do is be honest. If you lie about your opinion to make it seem like you agree with the masses all the time, your opinions won't be respected. Say what you think, not what you think you're supposed to think. A review becomes quality because of how you say something, not what you say.

I have to return some videotapes.
What is this? If you are actually not sure what to think, that's one thing, but everything you said after tells me that your feelings towards Clockwork are "I hated it but other people like it so I'm scared to say anything bad." The best thing you can do is be honest. If you lie about your opinion to make it seem like you agree with the masses all the time, your opinions won't be respected. Say what you think, not what you think you're supposed to think. A review becomes quality because of how you say something, not what you say.
I feel like I did not grasp it well enough to give it a fair rating. If I watch it again I'm pretty sure I'd be able to.

Because me saying...

"A Clockwork Orange -
I didn't understand it at all"

Is not what I really want to say when giving a bad rating. I'd like to give solid reasons on it, and not that sort of cheap stuff. Once I rewatch it I will give a fair rating.

From yesterday I started to tighten my ratings on movies, simply because I have given out too many "sympathy ratings" to movies I know have respect but personally didn't like.
Tighter ratings are better. Ideally each level of ratings from 1 to 10 would have 10% share of ratings cast. Of course, such mathematical perfection is difficult to achieve practically, because one votes on some non mathematical criteria that may or may not be fully defined. So my usual rating is 6, then 7, then 8. But when I'm in doubt on what rating to give, I give lower rating more readily.

Tighter ratings are better. Ideally each level of ratings from 1 to 10 would have 10% share of ratings cast. Of course, such mathematical perfection is difficult to achieve practically, because one votes on some non mathematical criteria that may or may not be fully defined. So my usual rating is 6, then 7, then 8. But when I'm in doubt on what rating to give, I give lower rating more readily.
Indeed they are. And actually, I've always been firm and honest when it comes to ratings, but you know those big and extremely well-respected films, you just don't throw it that low score straight away. Especially because you may know you probably didn't grasp it all and you just try to imagine what your rating would be with a third watch or whatever. But that is indeed also a little stupid and pathetic, and possibly very inaccurate too, but sometimes it happens. You're like, "I can see why it's respected, I'll give it a high rating", but that isn't how it should be.

Because me saying...

"A Clockwork Orange -

Is not what I really want to say when giving a bad rating. I'd like to give solid reasons on it, and not that sort of cheap stuff. Once I rewatch it I will give a fair rating.
I think it's completely okay to do as you did. I recently watched Ashes and snow, which I left without a rating, because I feel like a rewatch is obligatory for me to rate it in any shape or form.

In theory this makes sense, but in reality way more things exist somewhere in the middle than on an extreme. There are way more 5/10s than 10/10s, because making something perfect is harder than making something okay.

A Clockwork Orange is
for me.

I will admit though that on my first watch I had no idea what was going on.

In theory this makes sense, but in reality way more things exist somewhere in the middle than on an extreme. There are way more 5/10s than 10/10s, because making something perfect is harder than making something okay.
I was actually thinking about asking people about what their most common rating they give out for movies. I was thinking it'd be out of the popcorns 3.5 or so.

I was actually thinking about asking people about what their most common rating they give out for movies. I was thinking it'd be out of the popcorns 3.5 or so.
Mine is a 4, but I tend to review decent films.

It's only occasionally I review a pile of crap, simply to be sure people stay away from it.

Probably. Near the middle, but the fact is that people tend to ignore the lower end. There's more in the middle than there is on the low end, but that low end is very rarely watched by a lot of people.

I don't rate Clockwork either. It's one of those films that I just don't understand why it gets so much love.
because it's super filmmaking and it's a unique stylish satire of the human brutality and deviance. I love it

Because me saying...

"A Clockwork Orange -

Understand this-

Since you liked Boogie Nights and Rear Window so much, you should try and make Magnolia and North by Northwest your next ones from your watchlist, since they are by the same two directors!

Magnolia needs to be seen to be believed, you can't really describe it. It's very different and unique. North by Northwest is one of the best suspense thrillers ever made, a lot of fun!

Since you liked Boogie Nights and Rear Window so much, you should try and make Magnolia and North by Northwest your next ones from your watchlist, since they are by the same two directors!

Magnolia needs to be seen to be believed, you can't really describe it. It's very different and unique. North by Northwest is one of the best suspense thrillers ever made, a lot of fun!
I've been trying to get both on blu-ray but they're pretty expensive. Don't really feel like paying 18 bucks for a 1st watch, but trust me I will get it when it gets a bit cheaper.

My bad, I was talking about NBNW not Magnolia. Usually I can newer films like that for cheaper, but not this one. I'll probably end up streaming both of them if I don't see any cheaper options.