WHITE DRAGON - Amazon series

Tools    

It's harder and harder to find a decent series. This one pretty well fits the bill for me. It's an 8 episode story from 2018 about a Brit professor whose wife is killed in a auto accident in Hong Kong. He travels there to claim the body, but quickly learns some shocking details, and also that all is not as it appears.

There is a first rate lead by John Simm (Doctor Who). It's a tricky part to keep it from being trite or over-wrought, but he keeps it very believable. It's also noteworthy for the first English language starring role for Anthony Wong, who turns in a nuanced portrayal.

It's a dark thriller/mystery, but the writers use a light touch on violence, choosing instead to focus on the story and character development. Unfortunately there is a superfluous lesbian side story which has nothing to do with the plot, and feels gratuitous and pretentious.

Still, this is an engaging mystery/thriller that has held my interest. I've seen the first 4 eps, and if it keeps up the quality that it's shown so far, it should be a humdinger. Available on Amazon Prime and various streaming services.

So far: 7/10