Movie Tab II

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Homeless to Harvard: The Liza Mira Story-Watched it in Health class. It was pretty good.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ahhhh. A thread my doddering dial-up can deal with? Perfick

Old Boy 4/5 - Without doubt the best revenge film i've seen in a long long while. Takes the genre to its most tortured extreme, but does it with style, and some deeply-gouged traces of human grace too.

Kontroll 3/5 - Hungarian ticket collectors staying fairly-genial amongst the violent strife of their life. Curious characters, a long-hard crawl to self-redemption, a girl in a bear costume, and some non-Hollywoody ambiguity too. It's society shaken up in a bottle (and left to fester), but it's fun .

Sweet synopsiseses sir Hold-your-horses

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
There's too much comedy mixed in with what I think is hard to take as anything but tragedy. But that's the real problem of this play and makes it difficult to determine what Shakespeare was trying to say about Jews, if much of anything at all other than using them as stereotypes.
I always reckoned Shakey was trying a form of sucker-punch move with Merchant. i.e. on the surface he sells Shylock as the stereotypical money-grabbing Jew, but throughout the play Shylock's actions contradict that same stereotype. He's primed to be a money-grabber, but portrayed as an angry human man, to whom gold means nothing compared to that which he holds most dear.

I doubt it was successful at converting anyone away from their stoked-up hate, but i reckon he was doing the slippery-fish trick of speaking to those who saw through the anti-Jew myth, while the others rolled on with their scapegoat-hate intact (with perhaps the odd 'hey, why didn't he ask for a pound of gold mesh?' - before they got back to... 'but, hey, that girl in man's dress eh?')

Thank you for your attention

Stranger Than Paradise
1983 - Jim Jarmusch

Mystery Train
1989 - Jim Jarmusch

The Quiet American
2002 - Phillip Noyce

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Modern Times - (d. C. Chaplin, 1936)
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Originally Posted by Mark
Modern Times - (d. C. Chaplin, 1936)
Awesome movie. I don't think Mr. C' gets enough recognition for his contribution to film. Booya.

Alien: Resurrection
The director, I don't remember his name, usually writes his stuff. He usually makes interesting movies too. Needless to say, he didn't do either with this film.

Single White Female
I'm sorry to say, but I liked this movie. The boobies weren't outright tasteless so the girlfriend wasn't all like, "Oh my god, you perve! I'm outty 5000. L-7 LOSER!" It didn't go anything like that. It was good times. Some minor parellel action mixed with a little psychotic action, it was coo'.

(I've decided not to include my entertainment/technique ish'. You're welcome. Who am I to decide what's good and what's not? Maybe you'll find the faces more apealing.)
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

history *is* moralizing
The Camomile Lawn, GB 1992, in Cornwall, i love Cornwall, not England, or should i say Kernow? (plus Tara!)

Mighty Joe Young (1949) 5/5

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Quest for justice - pretty decent channel 5 movie, Jane Seymour in America's racist South running a newspaper and trying to get the truth out there

Interview with a vampire - better every time i see it, which is like every week

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Well, what she meant more specifically is the movie (based on the true story of Pulitzer Prize winning writer Hazel Brannon Smith) it is set in the segregated Mississippi of the 1950s. But it was most definitely the racistist she was up against, so not sure what your eye-rolling is for exactly.

How DARE somebody suggest the South has a history plagued with violent and very open racism.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, what she meant more specifically is the movie (based on the true story of Pulitzer Prize winning writer Hazel Brannon Smith) it is set in the segregated Mississippi of the 1950s. But it was most definitely the racistist she was up against, so not sure what your eye-rolling is for exactly.

How DARE somebody suggest the South has a history plagued with violent and very open racism.

I am well aware of what the movie is about… and exactly who Hazel Brannon Smith was. I am also aware that the south has a history plagued by violence and open racism… but the south is not the only place racism existed/exists and not everyone in the south was/is a racist… which is what her statement "America's racist South" implied… and what I took exception to.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I am well aware of what the movie is about… and exactly who Hazel Brannon Smith was. I am also aware that the south has a history plagued by violence and open racism… but the south is not the only place racism existed/exists and not everyone in the south was/is a racist… which is what her statement "America's racist South" implied… and what I took exception to.
i think its safe to say, when someone generalizes, such as saying "America's racist south" , they don't literally mean every single person in the entire south is a downright racist. Everyone knows there are exceptions to the rule, but im pretty sure everyone around here knows, without you having to specify that she didn't mean ALL. i don't think we should all have to specify our little generalzations just so certain people can feel better.

Bubba Ho-Tep 3/5
Not as good as the Evil Dead series maybe, and a little bit stilted despite its levity, but about as much fun as pecker-cancer and soul-death can be.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
The film was set in America, the south of it no less, and at the time it was racist. If you knew full well what the movie was about what was the problem exactly?

The Man Who Copied - O Homem Que Copiava (Jorge Furtado, Brazil)
A heist movie about a day-dreaming comic artist barely scraping by with the minimum wage he earns making photocopies in a small store who yearns to turn his obsession with the girl next door into a romance, this fantastic flick is a must-see. It is funny, it is charming, and it is exhilerating filmmaking. If Pedro Almodóvar were Brazilian and made a cross between Rear Window, Say Anything..., Fresh and Nine Queens it would come out as The Man Who Copied. I'd go into more detail, but it's just best to figure it all out as it's unfolding. I can't wait to see this one again. What a ride.
GRADE: A-

Oh, and on top of it being a great movie, The Man Who Copied is also a great introduction to the
stunning beauty that is Luana Piovani. My god...