24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

To end the speculation Thursday has decided to drop out.
That's a bummer, Thursday is always a good person to have in an HoF. But I appreciate it that she told us at the very start. Hope to see her in future HoFs

Ok, I was out all day and just saw the "reveal". I've seen 6 out of the 17 nominations, but there are two in particular that I haven't seen in a while (Barry Lyndon and The Deer Hunter).

I don't know most of the MoFo's well enough to guess their noms. However, I knew Vampyr was @SpelingError's, and my choice would probably easy to guess for my fellow RT/Corrie refugees since I think I drooled over it quite a bit back there when I saw it (I think it was 2019). I thought Man from Nowhere could be @Takoma11, but I don't see her name in the OP. Is she still in?

Finally, I know some of you have thrown around where to find some, but I'm going to get it all here for sake of completion...

Vampyr (1932, Directed by Carl Dreyer) - HBO Max, Criterion Channel
La Dolce Vita (1960, Directed by Federico Fellini) - ???
The Whisperers (1967, Directed by Bryan Forbes) - Prime
Shame (1968, Directed by Ingmar Bergman) - Criterion Channel
The Day of the Jackal (1973, Directed by Fred Zinnemann) - Starz
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974, Directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder) - HBO Max, Criterion Channel
Barry Lyndon (1975, Directed by Stanley Kubrick) - HBO Max
Hard Times (1975, Directed by Walter Hill) - WWE Network
The Deer Hunter (1978, Directed by Michael Cimino) - Peacock, Showtime
In a Glass Cage (1986, Directed by Agusti Villaronga) - Tubi, Shudder
Antwone Fisher (2002, Directed by Denzel Washington) - Hulu
The Sea Inside (2004, Directed by Alejandro Amenabar) - Only rental
The Secret in Their Eyes (2009, Directed by Juan Jose Campanella) - Only rental
The Man from Nowhere (2010, Directed by Lee Jeong-beom) - Prime, Tubi
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012, Directed by Benh Zeitlin) - HBO Max
Rudderless (2014, Directed by William H. Macy) - Prime, Tubi
Aniara (2018, Directed by Hugo Lilja and Pella Kagerman) - Hulu
That's where they're streaming *free* according to JustWatch, which is correct 95% of the time. Most of them are available for rental on the main platforms, though, except La Dolce Vita.

Well, that's what JustWatch said, but like I said, it's not always 100% accurate. Anybody that has Criterion can confirm.

I'm surprised La Dolce isn't on criterion. I think it was a few short months ago.
Are you saying its not on Criterion DVD?

Its on their website.

Im not sure if its on Criterion Channel.

The trick is not minding

You're gonna watch my movie and LOVE IT.
I’m actually glad you decided to stay.

Suuuuper bummed Ali is out. Would have been my introduction to Fassbinder. A director I’m sorely lacking in experience with.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Ed, you always tease me.

However, I have and will not watch the American remake of this film. I have loved the Argentine version and will keep with that.

I believe it was last year or 2019, that they remade Efter brylluppet (After the Wedding). I will not and never will watch the American remake of it. F*ck Michelle Williams over Mads Mikkelsen. HE** NO!!!!

I really super dislike when they remake great foreign films to English films and they are never better than the original!!!
The remake was a bit disjointed and when I saw it kept feeling like there was something missing.
And I fully agree about great foreign films being remade into not so great American films.
It happens FAR too much.
The oldest one I know of was the French Pépé le Moko being made into Algiers. Which I didn't even know of until last year. The studio bought out the secondary characters and literally used most of the outside shots that were shot on location. The Producer, Walter Wanger tried to get copies of the original destroyed while keeping the film from distribution in the States till a couple of years after his movie debuted.
F@ckin d#ck-knob

Speaking of, @cricket's review has got me even more excited to see it.

I have a HD quality link to La Dolce Vita with English subs. And it's on a legit site, free too. If anyone needs it just let me know.

La Dolce Vita wasn't on the channel, even when they had the Fellini bundle. I bought it last sale because of that. Been looking forward to a rewatch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Wait...what? They have movies outside of their wrestling content?

Suspect's Reviews

The trick is not minding

Wait....what? Is this a some prank?
🤨

That's not actually all that surprising. WWE Studios has helped produce quite a few horror and thriller films that feature wrestlers (like No One Lives or The Rundown or *shudder* Leprechaun: Origins).

I'm not surprised that they would get streaming rights to films that they think would engage their core audience.

The trick is not minding
That's not actually all that surprising. WWE Studios has helped produce quite a few horror and thriller films that feature wrestlers (like No One Lives or The Rundown or *shudder* Leprechaun: Origins).

I'm not surprised that they would get streaming rights to films that they think would engage their core audience.
I’m aware, it was more of a joke really, though the tone didn’t carry over via post.
Must work on that......

I thought the same when I saw it listed on JustWatch, but yeah, they're branching out

Can't say I'm that surprised, considering the insane amount of money they make.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sorry everyone, but thought it was best to drop out sooner rather than later. I've explained my reasons to raul.

I hope the rest of you enjoy the hall of fame. Watch Ali anyway, it's a great film!

Hard Times (Walter Hill 1975)

Hard Times
was a sweet way to start of this HoF. I enjoyed it. It was an interesting nomination too. I would describe it as straight forward, non-pretentious film making. The film style was well suited for Charles Bronson...a no nonsense, laconic actor. I appreciated the camera work and score as I was never aware of either aspect during my viewing of the film. To me, the style of the film was enhanced by the unobtrusiveness of its components. That's not to say the film's cinematography is in anyway blasé, just the opposite. The viewer is treated to effectively filmed cityscapes of New Orleans, especially the French Quarter.

There's quite a bit of on-location shooting, both for interior and exterior shots. As someone who spent a wonderful weeks vacation in the French Quarter I just love seeing the sites of those grand ole buildings with their wrought iron trimmed balconies.

I read on IMDB trivia that the director didn't think much of Jill Ireland's acting and cut many of her scenes. I can't say I've seen her in anything else except as a guest star on the original Star Trek series. I thought she was fine in Hard Times. I would've liked to seen more of her and Chaney's (Charles Bronson) side story, as it would've fleshed out more of Bronson's enigmatic character.

Hard Times (Walter Hill 1975)

Hard Times
was a sweet way to start of this HoF. I enjoyed it. It was an interesting nomination too. I would describe it as straight forward, non-pretentious film making. The film style was well suited for Charles Bronson...a no nonsense, laconic actor. I appreciated the camera work and score as I was never aware of either aspect during my viewing of the film. To me, the style of the film was enhanced by the unobtrusiveness of its components. That's not to say the film's cinematography is in anyway blasé, just the opposite. The viewer is treated to effectively filmed cityscapes of New Orleans, especially the French Quarter.

There's quite a bit of on-location shooting, both for interior and exterior shots. As someone who spent a wonderful weeks vacation in the French Quarter I just love seeing the sites of those grand ole buildings with their wrought iron trimmed balconies.

I read on IMDB trivia that the director didn't think much of Jill Ireland's acting and cut many of her scenes. I can't say I've seen her in anything else except as a guest star on the original Star Trek series. I thought she was fine in Hard Times. I would've liked to seen more of her and Chaney's (Charles Bronson) side story, as it would've fleshed out more of Bronson's enigmatic character.

I was thinking this exact same thing when I saw that it was picked. Not that the others are pretentious, but Hard Times is just what the average moviegoer would watch and enjoy. It's something I could put on when my wife is home and she won't say wtf. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

I was thinking this exact same thing when I saw that it was picked. Not that the others are pretentious, but Hard Times is just what the average moviegoer would watch and enjoy. It's something I could put on when my wife is home and she won't say wtf. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
Yup all that...Also it's a hidden gem, at least to me as I'd never heard of it before. I think that's the only film I've seen Bronson in, except I've seen him in bit parts in 1950s films.