Iro's Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

It has to do with this thread where participants change their top ten to reflect a certain theme. In this case, my top ten consists of my favourite movie from each of my ten favourite directors. The order's a little loose so don't worry about it too much. On my actual list, Raiders outranks Lebowski.
Oh really? I didn't know you were doin' that.

Though, now that I think about it I don't recall Hard-Boiled on your original favorites list.

Firstly, The Killer is better.

Also,

Seven Bride for Seven Brothers -
[/i]
That rating is waaay too high for that film. Are you sure you didn't take this bit off your rating for Singin' In The Rain?

First off no point in seeing the movie. It really was probably the worst Tarantino movie in his oeuvre.
Worse than Inglorious Basterds? Wow. And I've not even seen Django yet and I don't like Westerns, so the chance of it sucking are even worse.

Welcome to the human race...
Firstly, The Killer is better.
And Jaws is better than Raiders and Miller's Crossing is better than Big Lebowski and so on and so forth.

That rating is waaay too high for that film. Are you sure you didn't take this bit off your rating for Singin' In The Rain?
I'm inclined to be generous because there is some half-decent choreography in the first half or so, but that second half is ridiculous even for a 1954 Hollywood musical. Also, I haven't seen Singin' in the Rain in a while now so I'm holding it at a
for now.

Worse than Inglorious Basterds? Wow. And I've not even seen Django yet and I don't like Westerns, so the chance of it sucking are even worse.
I can't see it being much worse than Death Proof.

This was the Death Proof review I wrote last year. I've seen it three times now (once in its extended stand-alone format and twice in its truncated Grindhouse format - curiously, the latter is what got aired on TV by itself last year, which is what I reviewed) and, while there's stuff to like about it, I struggle to seriously like the whole film.

This was the Death Proof review I wrote last year. I've seen it three times now (once in its extended stand-alone format and twice in its truncated Grindhouse format - curiously, the latter is what got aired on TV by itself last year, which is what I reviewed) and, while there's stuff to like about it, I struggle to seriously like the whole film.
Ha, I didn't even know Kurt Russell was in that one.

#23 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
Bill Condon, 2011

A young woman gets married to her vampire sweetheart, but complications set in when she falls pregnant.

Breaking Dawn Part 1 seems like quite the odd film even by the already-bizarre standards of the Twilight franchise. It practically feels like an epilogue as it finally resolves the love triangle that drove the last two or three films by having human protagonist Bella (Kristen Stewart) marry her vampire boyfriend, Edward (Robert Pattinson), which understandably doesn't sit well with unfortunate werewolf Jacob (Taylor Lautner). What is especially unusual about this film is how little concern it shows for plot in general. The first half of the film is about Edward and Bella having their wedding and honeymoon, while the second half is about the problems caused by Bella falling pregnant. That really is all there is to the plot of this two-hour film. It doesn't have too much connection to the series' over-arching plot involving the encroaching vampire war save for a brief nightmare scene and a mid-credits scene, plus many of its scenes definitely feel like padding. Some of this padding works - I did get a few chuckles out of the intentionally comedic montage of wedding guests making inappropriate toasts - but not enough to stop it from being referred to as padding. The lack of plot provided by the first half of the film is arguably over-compensated for with the second half, where Bella becomes pregnant with a vampiric fetus that threatens to suck the life out of her in an extended bout of PG-13 body horror.

As if to compensate for how the series reaches a whole new level of ridiculousness when it comes to mixing dull romance with supernatural conflicts, the film actually attracts some relatively decent talent behind the camera. The most noticeable aspect involves the presence of Oscar-winning cinematographer Guillermo Navarro, who is at least able to infuse the film with some half-decent visuals from time to time. Oscar-winning writer-director Condon seems like he's been brought in to elevate material that needs to be handled with care so as to seem totally ludicrous, but even he can't salvage material that really does push the absurd extremes in which the Twilight series regularly finds itself. There's a lot going on here that you do have a bit of trouble believing made it into a commercially successful franchise film, but even the off-the-wall nature of many developments does not translate to remotely satisfying entertainment. The actors, well, they're still the same as always. As with the other sequels, there's some aspects that only just keep it from being irredeemable - however, this film's bizarre journey from sterile scenes of wedded bliss into one incredibly misguided tale of paranormal pregnancy simply causes too many problems in one way or another.

#24 - Atonement
Joe Wright, 2007

In the 1930s, the teenage daughter of a wealthy family accuses a worker of molesting her cousin, causing him to be sent to prison and ultimately drafted into service during World War II.

On the surface, Atonement seems like it's going to be another stuffy British period piece that features elaborate production design, an elegant orchestral score, and anguished performers carrying out a story filled with dramatic irony. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too much else going on under the surface of this competently-made but decidedly flat film. It's not for lack of trying - the effort involved definitely shows from time to time, especially in one lengthy take that follows the male lead (James McAvoy) around a war-torn beach for several minutes. The actors are serviceable - McAvoy and Keira Knightley have appropriately bittersweet chemistry as a pair of star-crossed lovers, while Saiorse Ronan and Romola Garai both do well at playing the film's young protagonist at different ages. The film is centred around a relatively simple moral dilemma that is lent nuance and ambiguity through its repetition of events from different perspectives, keeping the film from being boring but not enough so to match up to the technical quality on display.

#25 - Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films!
Mark Hartley, 2014

"From the creators of Not Quite Hollywood comes a brand new high-stakes thrill-ride! Two men united by one dream seek to take the world by storm! Prepare yourself for a rollercoaster ride jam-packed with...VIOLENCE! SEX! MONEY! FAME! You've never seen a team quite like Golan and Globus in...ELECTRIC BOOGALOO!

Original review found here.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I enjoyed the whole Twilight series. I thought they where great fun.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I enjoyed the whole Twilight series. I thought they where great fun.
The fact that I've persisted with them seems to suggest that I do too, even if that doesn't automatically translate to favourable ratings. I think I'm just amazed that it exists, let alone that it's a worldwide phenomenon.

#26 - The Hateful Eight
Quentin Tarantino, 2015

In post-Civil War Wyoming, a motley collection of individuals are made to wait out a blizzard inside a mountain lodge.

Quentin Tarantino has become one of the most iconic modern filmmakers because of how much his raw enthusiasm for cinema bleeds through into his work and allows him to weld his many influences together into some extremely distinctive wholes. His filmography is such that his 2012 outing Django Unchained, a blend of spaghetti Westerns and blaxploitation films that runs for almost three hours, can be considered an example of him "playing it safe". As such, it was easy to be skeptical about the fact that his follow-up to Django would be another three-hour Western, suggesting that this iconoclastic director may provide diminishing returns. Fortunately, The Hateful Eight more than challenges audience expectations even as it invokes many parallels to Tarantino's low-budget crime debut Reservoir Dogs. The tight ensemble cast, the bulk of the film being confined to a single location, the whodunit plot, and - of course - the infrequent but effective deployment of extreme violence...it's all here. As a result, The Hateful Eight can easily be written off as Tarantino repeating himself too much for his own good, but there is also the potential that it may end up being more of a greatest-hits package.

The plot of The Hateful Eight is driven by an eccentric bounty hunter (Kurt Russell) who insists on capturing dead-or-alive bounties alive, even though killing them is generally considered the more practical option (as other characters are quick to point out). He is in the middle of transporting his latest and most lucrative bounty (Jennifer Jason Leigh) to the small town of Red Rock, Wyoming, when his carriage picks up another bounty hunter (Samuel L. Jackson) and Red Rock's new sheriff (Walton Goggins) in quick succession. As a blizzard descends upon the carriage, they are forced to take refuge inside a remote haberdashery with a Mexican caretaker (Demian Bichir) and a few guests; namely, an affable British hangman (Tim Roth), a taciturn cowboy (Michael Madsen), and an elderly ex-Confederate general (Bruce Dern). As the harsh weather has effectively trapped all eight of them (plus James Parks' perpetually put-upon carriage driver) inside the haberdashery, Russell comes to the conclusion that one of the other men inside the building is a secret accomplice of Leigh's who plans to free her. This is where the film really begins as various interpersonal tensions begin to boil over even without the introduction of a dangerous mystery plot.

Tarantino has always had a reputation for assembling stellar casts, and the compact nature of this particular ensemble demands an especially stellar one. As such, most of the eight leads have collaborated with Tarantino in previous films to great and small effect. Russell stands out as the closest thing the film has to a hero and, while his blend of well-worn charisma with John Wayne swagger makes him quite the charmer, his rather brutal and short-sighted methods of keeping his quarry in line don't exactly make him sympathetic. Tarantino regular Jackson has always tended to get some impressive parts in the pair's previous collaborations and his role as a grizzled old soldier turned bounty hunter is as perfect a role for him as any - the gleefully sadistic monologue that he delivers halfway through the film is easily the most unforgettable moment in a film that's packed with them. Leigh makes for quite the stand-out as Russell's incredibly deranged bounty who has no qualms about antagonising everyone she meets, cackling her way through all sorts of physical abuse in the process (and any soft side she might show is either a trick or quickly stomped out by others). Character actor Goggins gets a surprisingly meaty role as a real good-ol'-boy type whose Confederate loyalties make him clash with Russell and Jackson, yet he definitely proves to be more than he seems. In comparison to these four, the rest of the leads are arguably a little flat due to what feels like a deliberate lack of development, but they do well enough. Roth in particular works as a delightfully well-mannered English gentleman, while Dern and Madsen infuse some one-note characters with appropriate levels of grouchiness. Bichir gets the really short end of the stick by having to playing a thickly accented buffoon who spends much of his time in the background.

I think the factor that will make or break The Hateful Eight for audiences will definitely be its approach to plotting. The immense running time will definitely prove a sticking point for audiences, especially in addition to the plot that requires the film to remain within the confines of the same building for most of its running time. However, this focus on a singular setting is definitely what gives the film its strength as it enforces all sorts of theatrical developments between its incredibly disparate cast of characters. Despite its length, the film flows just fine for the most part - at the very least, events are structured so that they never truly threaten to kill the film's momentum. There is a section that is dedicated to some arguably redundant exposition, and while that section could arguably use some trimming at the very least, it never truly threatens to derail the film as a whole. For the most part, it's still a carefully-paced work that may forgo narrative in favour of characterisation from time to time (most prominently during its first 40 minutes) but it's practically inconsequential. Even lapses in judgment by the relatively heroic characters are played for maximum drama as everyone clashes with one another over events great and small.

If nothing else, The Hateful Eight excels on a technical level. Much has been made of Tarantino's decision to shoot the film in old-fashioned 70mm so as to give the film the same appearance as the Hollywood epics of yesteryear, and while I was unfortunately unable to attend a screening of the film in its intended format, the film still looks amazing. This much can still be credited to three-time Oscar winner Robert Richardson, who has proved himself to be an incredibly versatile cinematographer time and time again. It initially seems like this particular format might be wasted considering how much of the film takes place inside a single cramped building, but that doesn't mean that the camerawork doesn't look a treat anyway. There are plenty of ambitious shots of the great outdoors in all its blizzard-struck glory, but the sheer amount of energy used to depict events within the haberdashery itself is notable as everything from revealing tracking shots to pertinent close-ups is used to bring vibrancy to the already-tense proceedings. It's not the most observably ambitious work that Richardson has had to do, but it certainly draws attention in all the right ways.

As if Tarantino going through the effort of shooting the film on a defunct film stock isn't sign enough of how dedicated he is to making The Hateful Eight a film to remember, that still pales in comparison to his decision to bring in none other than Ennio Morricone to score the film. Morricone is responsible for crafting some of the most iconic Western movie music ever made, and while his presence here seems to be both an example of Tarantino's fanboy tendencies and a gimmick on par with the 70mm format, it still doesn't make his work on this film any less impressive. The opening scene featuring the film's extremely ominous theme playing out over a lengthy shot of a stone crucifix covered in snow is one of the best marriages of sound and vision I've seen in a while, and that's without mentioning the rest of the score. While Morricone's original contributions are appropriately foreboding and tense, what does deserve recognition is the way in which Tarantino uses pieces of Morricone's score from John Carpenter's The Thing. The similarities between that film and this film are pretty obvious to anyone familiar with either one, but Tarantino's decision to correct the injustice done to Morricone's work on that particular film (which was nominated for a Razzie, no less!) is a sincere one that shows just how much respect this iconoclastic film-maker has for the maestro's output.

Each new Tarantino film feels like a true cinematic event, but each new one threatens to feel underwhelming and alienating. There is plenty about The Hateful Eight that would suggest the same, especially considering the incredibly polarised reception it's received so far. I can definitely understand - the film does seem to revel in the brutality of its characters a bit too much at times and a lengthy bout of chamber-drama plotting is bound to put people off anyway. Be that as it may, The Hateful Eight certainly made an impression on me and there's enough going on that it's bound to get a re-watch. The cast may be playing some largely reprehensible characters but that only gives them an excuse to act in as outlandish a manner as possible and the film's already-solid mystery plotting is all the better for it. Throw in some strong touches such as grand-standing camerawork and an appropriately miserable soundtrack and the resulting film becomes its own bizarre sort of masterpiece.

Pretty good review of HF8. I was expecting you to either hate or love this, looks like you kinda loved it. Cool you point out some of the flaws, though you skip a bit over it. A fine review, though I don't get how you can call it "solid mystery plotting". I thought all the mystery and whodunit stuff was rather poor. Even for its stupidity though, I did enjoy the dialogue and approach of the whodunit monologue that Jackson did. But the overall mystery of this 3 hour movie was 1-page-weak material. Not enough depth, tension or excitement.

You rightfully praise the technical stuff though; that was an enjoyable aspect of the movie indeed.