Guaporense top 100 albums (2019 edition)

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Keepers still is the only album that managed to distract me enough while I was driving to it that I crashed my car (and that was back in 2008).
The ultimate proof that metal is indeed dangerous for your health!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

3. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

While listening to Abigail I was thinking "oh this must be the best classic heavy metal album ever, for sure" then I was listening to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, which is easily Iron Maiden's masterpiece, and yes, it tops Abigail. This album is not only perfect, it is of transcedental quality: it represents the peak performance of the greatest metal band of all time, combining the experience of being their 7th album when the band was still young and not suffering from the decadence that afflicts metal bands that are more than a decade or so on the road.

The discrepancy in quality between this album and No Prayer for the Dying is enormous which shows how losing Smith hurt the band back then.

2. Helloween - Walls of Jericho (1985)

Walls of Jericho was my favorite album for about a decade. I love it so much because it is simple classic heavy metal but on steroids without losing its sense of melody or its catchiness and without being very pompous. It is not "thrash" nor "power" but it is more extreme than traditional heavy metal. In other words, it is the best of both worlds and as an album it is rather unique: there are very few metal albums that dabble in this album's territory (although one might claim Painkiller and Iron Savior are rather close, this album is more extreme than Painkiller and lacks the pomposity of Iron Savior's Unification, becoming even superior to both of these two great albums).

Based on some later entries on this list (like Walls of Jericho) I'd suggest you check out few newer bands. There's quite a bit of 80s retro metal being made these days and some of it is really good.

I'm just checking out some of these that I'm not familiar with. I can definitely hear the quality in stuff like Angra, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Something about Power Metal has never appealed to me. Maybe it's the vocal style.

Entombed are legendary though. I hear ya when it comes to Death Metal, there is a ton of mediocrity in the genre, but some gems really do stand out. Entombed have an incredible reputation, but I never really familiarised myself with them all that much. They kind of got lost in the sea of bands with an album and a handful of songs tacked onto some random playlists in my mess of playlists.

A system of cells interlinked
Down to number 1! Bring on that frosty glowing ball in the sky...

Probably something cliche like Master of Puppets... Gosh, I'm going to hate it if I'm right... lol. (No idea if he already listed it because I'm still in the first page of checking them out.)

:P

(Edit: Revive the Extreme Music Tournament?)

Probably something cliche like Master of Puppets... Gosh, I'm going to hate it if I'm right... lol. (No idea if he already listed it because I'm still in the first page of checking them out.)

:P

(Edit: Revive the Extreme Music Tournament?)
Definitely not Master of Puppets. I am 90% sure I know what it is, as my clue above alludes to. I don't want to steal Guap's thunder though, so I will refrain from calling it out.

I also have a recommendation for Guap, which I will post soon. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to the end of the list...

His #1 is probably some obscure anime soundtrack and he will troll you all.
Come on, you know it's going to be Metal. Trolling his top 100 isn't something Guap would do.

It's not Master of Puppets because I find it an above average thrash album but not among my favorites (I find Justice for All and Ride the Lightning superior, in particular Ride the Lightning is greatly superior). I would include it in a top 200 albums list. While Sedai's guess was right (also because I already said on the site it was my favorite album several times since it became my favorite album in 2016).

1st. Wintersun - Wintersun (2004)

Wintersun's self titled debut, a piece of symphonic melodic death metal album attempts to make the listener feel like he or she is floating in the darkest reaches of the universe far away from everything and it is in a meditative state but at the same time experiencing a constant stream of aggression. I knew about it for several years but it took a couple of years to fully grow on me (same with Walls of Jericho and Sad Wings of Destiny).

So it's metal anime soundtrack. Easy.
Hmm... I don't think there's much of that, and I doubt any of it's good.

It's not Master of Puppets because I find it an above average thrash album but not among my favorites (I find Justice for All and Ride the Lightning superior, in particular Ride the Lightning is greatly superior). I would include it in a top 200 albums list. While Sedai's guess was right (also because I already said on the site it was my favorite album several times since it became my favorite album in 2016).

Wintersun's self titled debut, a piece of symphonic melodic death metal album attempts to make the listener feel like he or she is floating in the darkest reaches of the universe far away from everything and it is in a meditative state but at the same time experiencing a constant stream of aggression. I knew about it for several years but it took a couple of years to fully grow on me (same with Walls of Jericho and Sad Wings of Destiny).
I see, well I figured often Metalica fans like Master of Puppets the most. Personally I never enjoyed bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, or Slayer. I can respect their early influence, but they just don't do anything for me. I feel the same way about bands like Bathory and Satyricon. They're heralded by so many fans of the genre as great bands, but I always found them boring. Anyway, I want to poke my way through your list and see which ones I like. I noticed Death and Morbid Angel on the second page, and Alter of Madness is my favorite Morbid Angel album.

I listened to a couple of songs off Wintersun's S/T and they were pretty decent.

So, when are we reviving the Extreme Music Tournament?

Excellent record. Not my favorite metal record of all time, but definitely my favorite from Wintersun. This record represents Jari at his most creative and inspired. After a couple of fantastic records with Ensiferum, he struck out on his own, and the unshackled creative freedom shows in this release.

Great list Guap!

Wanted to ask if you have listened to any Moonsorrow?

Check out the record called Verisakeet when you get a chance; I think you will really like it!

I have to check then out. There are so many great melodeath bands.
They are more along the lines of Viking/Black/Folk metal.

Please let me know what you think!

They are more along the lines of Viking/Black/Folk metal.

Please let me know what you think!
Having listened to 6 of their albums so far I think that they are among my the best in the folk metal genre. Up there with Ensiferum although I haven't loved any of their albums as much as I loved Iron or their self titled I think they are more consistent than Ensiferum who declined a lot since their first two albums. They are easily better than bands like Equilibrium, Turisas, and Einherjer which tend to be too formulaic.

Having listened to 6 of their albums so far I think that they are among my the best in the folk metal genre. Up there with Ensiferum although I haven't loved any of their albums as much as I loved Iron or their self titled I think they are more consistent than Ensiferum who declined a lot since their first two albums. They are easily better than bands like Equilibrium, Turisas, and Einherjer which tend to be too formulaic.
Awesome! So glad you are enjoying Moonsorrow. One of my favorite bands ever. The raw emotion in the singers voice really strikes a chord when listening. My wife and I especially like listening to them in the winter months. They are also masters at long arrangements, as I am sure you noticed.

Been listening to good'ol Iron Maiden. Have concluded that Brave New World is perhaps their second best album after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, truly magnificent album full of very memorable songs and amazing atmosphere. In fact it is one of the 19 albums I rated 5 stars out of 5 in Rate Your Music.