How about a Westerns list next?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
As long as we're throwing in suggestions, I still wonder how a war-themed countdown would turn out. Genres like crime and Western already have some BFI lists on here to cover much of the established canon, but even those lists could do with some shaking up.

On a related note, I did start scanning IMDb for Western-classified titles (presumably we're going to go by that rule again unless there are objections) and it's interesting that Bubba Ho-Tep and I'm Not There are classified as Westerns but No Country for Old Men isn't.

Westerns? I think most here would be able to guess my thoughts on that. Probably with less swearing, too. I'd rather go 30's. I'd probably struggle, but have almost no chance of 25 westerns I liked, let alone would want to put on a list. Unless we could include things like Assault On Precinct 13, which I'm not advocating BTW. Were I a fan of Westerns, I wouldn't like that.

On a related note, I did start scanning IMDb for Western-classified titles (presumably we're going to go by that rule again unless there are objections) and it's interesting that Bubba Ho-Tep and I'm Not There are classified as Westerns but No Country for Old Men isn't.
Yikes. Might need to really consider criteria for a Westerns list, then.

It's ok, no need to panic - there'd be at least four months to really nail those suckers down whilst the pre-30s list takes place

Thoughts or comments on my solution?

Another solution:
We do a genre countdown (action, thriller, western, musical etc) with a 2 month watch period...and at the same time another host does the Pre 1930s countdown with a 4 month watch period.

The genre countdown will be over with, before the deadline voting for the Pre 1930s is due. Both can easily overlap without taking away from each other.

I like Westerns as a genre countdown BTW, but do think my idea can work for all of us.

SC has suggested an LGBTQ countdown. That's quite interesting and could be as broad as subject mattter to whoever directed. Worth considering.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Definitely pre-30s first (or it'll never happen), alternating genre and decades seems fair.

I'd rather do musicals or foreign (non-English language) films or LGBTQ films or something we don't already have a list for.

Pre-1930s...who wants to host?

And like I've said twice now, we could stagger two countdowns starting both at the same time but giving the Pre-30s a longer watch period, so that a genre countdown can be done and finished right before the Pre-30s start. I think that's the best idea for MoFo as a community.

Pre-1930s...who wants to host?

And like I've said twice now, we could stagger two countdowns starting both at the same time but giving the Pre-30s a longer watch period, so that a genre countdown can be done and finished right before the Pre-30s start. I think that's the best idea for MoFo as a community.
I like that idea, I think musicals would be good for a genre countdown while we do Pre-30s.

I am so not in favor of a musicals countdown, though I suppose I could scrape something together provided animated films aren't disqualified.

I like the idea of an LGBTQ countdown, but I have to wonder how much participation that would get. I suspect that a not insignificant number of our members wouldn't be keen on watching those films.

Welcome to the human race...
Tell me about it - gotta admit that it's tempting to make The Dark Tower my one-pointer and see Holden lose what little respect he has left for me.

As for the idea of staggering the countdowns, I'm surprised we haven't tried that before. Are we that worried about running out of ideas for countdowns too quickly? We already did the directed-by-women countdown before most genre countdowns so there's any number of criteria we could spin entire top 100s out of.

I'd be happy enough to do the graft behind a pre-30s countdown if wanted ..... collating the ballots and totalling the votes, breaking ties etc. ..... but I'm far too dull a character to present something like that and besides I have no graphical abilities/facilities whatsoever so someone else would have to actually host the thing.

As for doing another countdown whilst the 'watch period' goes on I think that might potentially dilute participation which is something I think needs avoiding where possible for a countdown that may have enough difficulty garnering enthusiasm from some quarters anyway.

I have no graphical abilities/facilities whatsoever so someone else would have to actually host the thing.
You don't need them. Plenty of MoFo countdowns have been hosted with very simplistic presentations and there's always someone willing to make banners/graphics for you if you need the assistance.

I got graphics help from multiple people when I did the Animation Countdown.

I'd be happy enough to do the graft behind a pre-30s countdown if wanted ..... collating the ballots and totalling the votes, breaking ties etc. ..... but I'm far too dull a character to present something like that and besides I have no graphical abilities/facilities whatsoever so someone else would have to actually host the thing.

You'd be a great host! and entertaining too! (not that a host has to be entertaining I wasn't) but a host needs stick-to-it-ness, and that's you. As far as fancy graphics go like Miss Vicky said they aren't a requirement. SilentVamp did a nice presentation in the 1940s Countdown and she didn't have Photoshop and wasn't into graphics. She did borders and fonts just by Googling online free photo editing stuff. I'd be happy to help you anyway I could too. It be great to have you do the Pre 1930s Countdown.
#Chyp430s

Hahahahaha, knew I should have kept me gob shut
Let's see if anyone wants to host it before we settle for ending up with the dullest presentation the world has ever seen

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I vote Pre-30's, but I've probably seen all The Western's, so whatever.

Okay, I had an idea, but I don't want to start a new thread or put it in the Pre-30s List, so I just decided to put it here.

Would anyone be interested in doing a MoFo Film Scores List? So exact same thing, but everyone would just vote for their top 25 film scores.