Gomorrah

Tools    

Watched Episode 2, again very good. This took a big turn Pietro's character in particular. The first episode he seemed like an out of touch/largely hands off boss sitting up in his mansion while the others do everything. Really didn't expect how deeply involved he was in everything in this episode, i mean on a street level i always expected him to give the orders but that was it from the first episode. I have always had a problem with bosses committing their own murders because it's something that very rarely happens in real life. The Sopranos was pretty bad for it, think the only person who personally killed (on screen) more people than Tony on that show was Christopher, and from the start Tony was Underboss/Acting Boss and seen as the real power in the family. Murders like Ralph could be excused as that was a heat of the moment fight but most of the others seemed to be just to show off that Tony was a bada55. Like the Matthew Bevilaqua murder; i get it Christopher was like a son to him and he wanted revenge, but that's a very Hollywood thing the boss going out and doing it himself. There's plenty of examples of Mob Bosses getting revenge for relatives murders and practically none are done by the boss personally. The only similar example i can think of in real life is then Lucchese Consiglieri Anthony Casso personally killing one of the guys who tried to kill him, but he was one of the biggest psychopaths the mob ever had, Tony wasn't. Anyway sorry for going on about The Sopranos haha. That's just what i thought of when Pietro killed the guy himself. Obviously it was to show what he's like as the main story in the episode was him passing things over to his weak and spoiled son. Also i'm clearly getting too wrapped up in how realistic it is, i'll get over it like i did with The Sopranos it's just difficult at first as i read about the real life stuff.

I also like the path they are going with his son. He is typically weak and spoiled but he seems to want to stand on his own two feet that's a bit different from how it usually is. I also like that while he's spoiled he is also kind of likeable at least so far through his relationship with Ciro. The best thing about this episode was them instantly throwing likeability out the window, that's how crime shows like this should be done. Characters like Tony Soprano and Walter White were obviously always violent criminals so likeable may not be the right word but they were given positive qualities and their ruthlessness was largely held back in the early seasons or done as neccessity to excuse them. Here Ciro brutally executes some poor junkie as training basically and it's clearly nothing to him, tells you instantly that these guys are sociopathic scumbags without attempting to dance around it for a while or offer any grey area.

I'm guessing Pietro's wife will become boss/acting boss at some point, she is clearly alot like Pietro. Whether it's officially or not i'm guessing she'll be the real power behind Genny if he survives which i'm guessing he will. That has happened in the 'Ndrangheta before with both wives and sisters taking over for their imprisoned brothers/husband, the 'Ndrangheta are just about strictly family based alot more than the Sicilians or Camorra; each Clan is usually purely blood related there have been exceptions but very few. These criminal orginizations especially Italian ones typically have strict rules that they take very seriously so it's possible that's against Camorra rules, i'm not sure. Either way she is obviously going to be very influential with Pietro in prison.
'

Episode 3 was great. Not sure what to say other than it's not got into 41Bis yet, i imagine that's in later episodes. Pietro is perfect in this episode, he has the idea that he's untouchable and way above the people imprisoning him. With Giuletti he probably was but these old mafia bosses got a rude awakening when they attempted to fight their government by bombing and assassinating judges and bank bosses, that was largely a Sicillian thing but it extended to Naples and Calbria in their crackdown. Basically don't fight the government was the lesson there as they were quickly wiped out and Sicillians formerly terrified to admit there even is a mafia started going to the police any time they tried to extort their business.

In America there's a similar regime in say ADX Florence, a prison mostly full of Terrorists actual genuine threats to society, Vincent Basciano is an Italian-American prisoner there. I don't care he's obviously a scumbag who deserves to die but the idea that he deserves those provisions is hilarious. he's there because he apparently tried to have a Judge killed, the informant who came out with that information has since been severely discredited. The Government has lost their last dozen or so cases against these Mafia members because their informants were junkies or whatever. It's interesting wondering what would happen in some of these cases if they happened just ten years earlier.

Season 3 Episode 9. I'm in bits. What an episode of tv.
Darn. Still not available in America.

Hooray! Pre-ordered season 3 from the UK, which will be released March 6. So glad I bought a multi-region DVD player.

So pissed he’s out of the show. No American show would kill off a main lead while the show is running. Yes, he’s gonna be directing some parts of the show, but I could care less.

SEASON 4 - OFFICIAL TRAILER

This is without any question one of the best crime related series ever made, only The Wire.
I'm not from that environment, but I believe that is depicted the new reality of today's mafia.

I didn't like Ciro's death, obviously, but I believe script wise was inevitable.