Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
A Fish Called Wanda I find to be ridiculously overrated. Far from consistently funny, and often barely entertaining. It's saving grace was, of course, our dear friend John Cleese.
Kevin Kline won a best supporting actor Oscar in this piece of crap.

Should have been River Phoenix in Running on Empty.

A Fish Called Wanda is a really good shout for an overrated film. I wouldn't call it the most overrated film ever, but I think it'd be a contender for one of the 10 most overrated comedies.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Roman Holiday was just on TCM, add that to my list.

Dare I say it?

The Godfather is very overrated. Scorcese all the way!

What?? The Godfather, Scarface?? Those are brillant movies. And the most overrated film to me is Titanic. I also love Roman Holiday.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yep, I like Roman Holiday too. It's nothing GREAT, but it's good, breezy entertainment. Unless you believe the Americans have no right going to Italy in the early 1950s and making a neorealist romantic comedy.

Mother****ing Rocky.

Not that it's highly rated universally, but what I find to be the most overrated film I constantly hear about from friends and on forums is Evil Dead II. Now, I love The Evil Dead--it's probably one of my favorite horror movies--but I almost didn't even finish watching Evil Dead II. It completely changed the direction in which the first one was going, adding down-right silly humor and changing Ash from the "normal" (ish) protagonist he was to a badass that I wasn't fond of.

I didn't like Evil Dead II to say the least, and to me, that's one of the most overrated movies I hear about.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Sorry, but, Scarface is just not a great film.

Depends. Watching Paul Muni in the original and how some killings occur off-screen or are covered by other images is both interesting and entertaining. The modern remake was a lousy movie with no redeeming features.

I've never cared for Sound of Music--it's the only World War II era film where I find myself rooting for the Nazis to catch that family and shut 'em up!

Not that it's highly rated universally, but what I find to be the most overrated film I constantly hear about from friends and on forums is Evil Dead II.
Basically a remake of Evil Dead with a bigger budget. Considered by many to be the weakest part of the trilogy. Army of Darkness is my favorite by the way.

Basically a remake of Evil Dead with a bigger budget. Considered by many to be the weakest part of the trilogy. Army of Darkness is my favorite by the way.
Even though I didn't like it - I thought it was 100 times better than the first one.

I think Sideways is pretty overrated, I heard so many great things about it and then got around to watching it (just recently actually) and it just wasn't interesting to me. The characters are bland and boring and the plot never really went anywhere.

I absolutely think that Titanic is way overrated . Down with the Titanic!

By the way My Name is Bruce has just come out into theaters . It might not be the best movie,but it will be entertaining.

Evil Dead 2 was better.

I don't have an official list, but I would have to say the top contenders are Forrest Gump, almost everything by Stanley Kubrick and Shakespeare in Love for me.

Forrest Gump was just Baby Boomer pablum with cool editing. Shakespeare in Love was cute, but not Best Picture-worthy.

Aside from Dr. Strangelove and the first half of Full Metal Jacket, Kubrick just does nothing for me.

The Shining and 2001 put me to sleep, and I generally love slow, atmospheric films. I can't get through Clockwork Orange and I'm a bit unnerved by Droog fandom, although I do recognize the importance and meaning of Burgess' book and Kubrick's contributions to film. The last half of FMJ was predictable and hackneyed, although the first half in boot camp is among the most gripping and evocative bits of cinema ever filmed.

At least I'm not alone in wondering WTF when it comes to Eyes Wide Shut. Or as my friend, a Kubrick devotee, called it, Eyes Wide Sucked.

Of course, these are my opinions and not to be considered authoritative in the least. But you asked, and I typed!