What is the best Disney Renaissance movie?

Tools    

What do you think the best Disney Renaissance movie is?
7.84%
4 votes
The Little Mermaid (1989)
0%
0 votes
The Rescuers down under (1990)
37.25%
19 votes
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
11.76%
6 votes
Aladdin (1992)
33.33%
17 votes
The Lion King (1994)
0%
0 votes
Pocahontas (1995)
1.96%
1 votes
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
1.96%
1 votes
Hercules (1997)
1.96%
1 votes
Mulan (1998)
3.92%
2 votes
Tarzan (1999)
51 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Ah yes, the Disney Renaissance! The period from 1989-1999 where Disney once again went to the top of the animated movie game, releasing such classics as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. These movies set many records. Lion King became the highest grossing animated film of all time, and Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film to be nominated for the Academy Award for best picture! Alas, however. Their winning streak was soon ended in 1995 with the release of the much derided, mediocre Pocahontas. Pocahontas didn´t do too great at the box office and critics had a very meh response to it, compared to the last 6 movies in the Disney Renaissance. The next few movies in the Disney Renaissance did fine, but not great. After the 1999 release of Tarzan, the Disney Renaissance came to an end. Which of the 10 films released during this period do you like best, and why?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Beauty and the Beast, with Aladdin and the Lion King in second and third respectively. Although I have a soft spot for The Little Mermaid, which is the first movie I remember going to watch in a cinema. I didn't like Pocahontas or The Hunchback of Notre Dame all that much, and never watched the next three.

Lion King for me it was my favourite film as a kid and i still like it alot. The only one i don't like much is Alladin, well idon't remember the Rescuers films that well.

For me it's a tie between Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. I have a soft spot for Lion King cause I think it was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. However I think Beauty and the Beast was probably the better made one, so I'll vote for that one.

One of my favorites from this time though is Hercules, always thought it was pretty underrated. I don't think I've ever seen Mulan or Tarzan, would like to try and see them sometime.

I went with Beauty and the Beast because it has better music than Lion King. Hunchback is my favorite that won't get any votes. I think it's an underrated gem. It's inconsistent, but the good parts are just as good or maybe even better than B&tB

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This isn't even a tough choice for me. Beauty and the Beast is far better than the rest of the choices.

But if you added some of the classic Disney movies into the list, that would make it a much harder decision.

The Lion King is the best Disney movie in my opinion, I really loved it as a kid and I still like it so much now. It's a personal choice, because most of these movies were fantastic, for me the best is Lion King.

Beauty and the Beast was one of those movies that changed my perspective on cinema entirely. Intriguing storytelling, luscious but also dark animation, complex character development.... Who could ask for more?

Hunchback is my fave, with Down Under a close 2nd.

I'm saying Tarzan or Hercules. Those aren't exactly the popular opinion I'm sure, but I thought they were the most fun.
Seconded. Hercules is one of Disney's strongest films in my mind, with possibly the greatest Disney villain in Hades. The only small nuisance with the film is that the excessive humor at times hinders grandiose moments from reaching their full goosebump-potential, such as when Hercules saves Meg and proves to be a God. Though what allows that most of the time is that the remarks are genuinely entertaining and well-written.

Lion King for me. And Disney had to go ahead and ruin it this last year!
And to think Lion King was supposed to be a side project. At the time most of Disney's top artists were working on Mulan.

The Little Mermaid.

My #1 is The Lion King

It seems like the most acclaimed films (TLM, BATB, Aladdin, TLK) are in the earlier half - not necessarily because later films are worse, but the earlier films were more impactful for their time, while the later ones had diminishing returns by repeating a similar formula.

Hunchback of Notre Dame is the most underrated of the bunch. It's story and themes were perhaps too mature for children, yet too cartoonish for adults. And maybe the hunchback as a protagonist wasn't as sexy or as marketable as some of the others were.

I'll pick Aladdin.