Lost in Space remake

Tools    

Yeah, this genuinely looks like a movie. Definitely going to give it a try.

I'm also cautiously optimistic that the next wave (though maybe they're coming out regularly enough that you can't really break them into "waves") of Netflix shows is going to be pretty good.

“I was cured, all right!”
I'm not a big fan of series but definitely going to give it a try too.
Used to be a big fan of the 1998 film with Gary Oldman as a kid, can't remember almost nothing about it, and I prefer leave this way for now.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Alright. Get back into gear and come post thoughts! It's up to Season 2 now. I don't remember my thoughts of the first one, but Season 2 is reasonably well depending on expectations. Visually, it's very well done. As to plot progression, it's maybe 70% intense reactionary movement to through the episodes similar to 2008's 2012 flick with John Cusack. Something happens creating a countdown of imminent death only to be resolved in the last seconds of total disaster, followed by a momentary calm usually with a joke from the mechanic, then right into a new panic. Episode 1 was nearly unbearable for me and took me three nights to get through from exhaustion of the process. It does level off, and some episodes make a decent effort of providing character history to explain whatever conflict a character is experiencing in the moment. That is a nice change of pace, but it never comes close to reaching the character motivation development that Battlestar Gallactica (reboot) did with Baltar. Parker Posey as Dr. Smith REALLY steals the show for me. I admit bias as I've had a crush of Posey since ...well, since probably the mid-nineties. It's been a long time. So that may sway me more than I should be, but her ticks and mannerisms emote wonderfully the borderline sociopathic deceits she is plotting. I guess I find crazy chicks kinda hot. (kinda).

I suppose I do remember enjoying the Robot's existence in Season 1, though much of the first half of Season 2 doesn't really spend much time on it. Characters are growing. A bad guy eventually emerges that is quite good and provides contrast to the ever resilient Robinsons. Too bad he only appears on the late back end of the season. It's a good setup for Season 3, but I would have preferred his reveal much earlier as I can't stand the kinetic rush forward thwarted by some chaotic random crisis to be overcome to only repeat again. It's all a bit silly, but at least this is not all there is. Character motivation and decision making can get frustrating knowing that if one of the kids "just did this instead of that" so much of the episode's tension would be vented. But this is the show.

Gripes aside, Lost in Space is good sci-fi fun void of much of the morose science fiction patterns that seems to be trending lately. If you can tolerate an unending crisis, a few incredibly ridiculous plot developments, and an annoying overconfidence of "mom" sprinkled with quick humor all presented against a lovely spacey backdrop, then you might dig it.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear