A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference)

Tools    

1. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
  2. Shal Marshall - Splinters
  3. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel
  4. number girl - omoide in my head
  5. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
  6. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
  7. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
  8. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
  9. Catatonia - Road Rage
  10. Clutch - Electric Worry
  11. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
  12. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1

1. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
2. Clutch - Electric Worry
3. Catatonia - Road Rage
4. Dillon Carmichael - Hell On An Angel
5. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
6. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
7. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
8. Shal Marshall - Splinters
9. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
10. New Light Choir - Queen Of Winter
11. Number Girl - Omoide In My Head
12. Siegfried - Forging Song From Act 1

My nom for Round 2:
Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest

Let the night air cool you off
2. number girl - omoide in my head
4. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
5. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
6. Journey - Wheel in the Sky
7. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
8. Catatonia - Road Rage
9. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
10. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
11. Clutch - Electric Worry
12. Shal Marshall - Splinters

The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
- Maybe I was put off by the video, but even the music itself seemed to be something that wasn't nearly as cute as the people putting it out thought it was.

New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
- I enjoyed this. I like the music more than the vocals and lyrics, but the overall package is bearable.

Clutch - Electric Worry
- Not feeling this. I guess musically it isn't the worst thing I've ever heard, but it's kinda obnoxious. Sorry to whoever nominated it.

Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
- Hella dank, bruh.

Catatonia - Road Rage
- Not terrible, but also seems like the kind of thing you have to be into at the time.

Battle Beast - Black Ninja
- I am not sure exactly what's going on here, but I think I like it. Cool throwback metal song.

Hanging Gardens - Unearth
- This song had to follow Black Ninja, which isn't good a place for this song. This kills the energy created by Black Ninja, and now I'm just thinking about how I'd rather be listening to Black Ninja agaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnn. She's a blaaackkk ninjaaaaa. I don't think I thought about this song at all as I listened to it.

Journey - Wheel in the Sky
- I'm not a Journey fan, but this song is alright. Better than the average song, but not really deserving of its status in our culture. But, I mean, I guess that chorus is undeniably catchy, so that's always going to a soul-winner for the cult of Journey.

Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel
- My nom. I love this classic outlaw country hard-driving music. It hits all the outlaw country tropes you need for a badass song. You hit the bottle and drugs, you do some wild sh*t, and you make it hard on your mama and every other woman out there. You might go to prison. You include some references to Hell or the devil and how thats where you are headed or something like that. But you better have the music and the voice to convince me that you are really the bad sumbitch that said all those things. Dillon Carmichael gets it.

number girl - omoide in my head
- I like listening to the Japanese language. That dude can play drums. Then sh*t gets wild. Whoa, I'm digging the f*ck out of this. I'm reminded a lil bit of Teenage Riot.

Shal Marshall - Splinters
- Nah.

Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
- yassss. Sam Cooke was a bad, bad dude.

A system of cells interlinked
Listing as I have time. That The Dead South video was pretty fun.

1. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
Late addition to my top-10 of 2018. What a marvelous mix of old occult rock and metal.

2. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
Very nice old school rock with great vocalist. Maybe I should put some Journey on my playlist.

3. Catatonia - Road Rage
Good alt rock from the 90s. I like the vocalist again (am I the only one who thinks she looks a bit like Franka Potente?).

4. number girl - omoide in my head
What's this, progressive pop punk or something? I kinda liked it more than I expected though.

5. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
What's with all the Finnish metal on this round? It's OK doom, nothing too unique but decent.

6. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
Kabanen always finds great vocalists but I vastly prefer Battle Beasts 3rd album over everything else they've done. This song is just too corny.

7. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
Not really my music but not too bad either. Great voice but it's maybe little too much about just that.

8. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
HoHo! I don't how this would work as a part of the whole opera but as an individual song it kinda lacks (funnily it works better without the video now that I listen it again).

9. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel
Very standard country rock. Goes little overboard with guitar solos.

10. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
Kinda boring but still not too bad. I hate that finger snapping though.

11. Clutch - Electric Worry
Yeah, not my kind of southern rock. Hate the chorus and the intro with just guitar and vocals.

12. Shal Marshall - Splinters
Not much into reggae and this isn't an exception. Maybe I should do some drugs to get this?

Sorry, I don't really have the time to write a little something about each as I usually do.

1. Catatonia - Road Rage
2, Clutch - Electric Worry
4. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
5. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
6. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
7. number girl - omoide in my head
8. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
9. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
10.Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
11.The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
12.Shal Marshall - Splinters

A system of cells interlinked
RANKINGS

Journey - Wheel In The Sky

Catatonia - Road Rage

Clutch - Electric Worry

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll be putting in my list and reviews this evening with, hopefully, a nomination for Round two. Loving the lil write-ups on everything so far.

hellllll yeahhhhh!! love this song and great band

Journey - Wheel In The Sky
Clutch - Electric Worry
Catatonia - Road Rage

If this was actually true, I'd be so happy
It's just an (un)educated guess. I even originally had (I guess) after that but as I know my fondness towards stuff in parenthesis I try to consciously remove some of them

Weird is relative.

Simply perfect. (You have to be into oldies to appreciate it though, certainly doesn't sound like new releases you'd find today.)

2. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter

Wow, thanks @pahaK for the introduction to this band! In this tune they sound like a fusion of The Cure and Muse with light metal.

3. Shal Marshall - Splinters

My nom. The first couple of times I heard this I was kind of like, "eh," but after a few listens it grew on me. Now it's one of my most-played tunes from the Caribbean.

4. Battle Beast - Black Ninja

Head-banger! (I have long hair so I can pull it off, lol)

5. Clutch - Electric Worry

This is good. Reminds me of the Black Keys.

6. Catatonia - Road Rage

Intriguing. I'll check out more of their stuff.

7. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company

This was different, in an interesting way.

The rest weren't to my taste...

8. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1

9. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel

10. Journey - Wheel In The Sky

11. number girl - omoide in my head

12. Hanging Gardens - Unearth

1. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
(Super cheesy, but I love that aspect of it. Maybe because I've watched too many cheesy 80's ninja movies? The singer sounds so much like Dio when she belts the chorus. Was hoping to avoid ranking my own nom first, but it'd be disingenuous if I didn't since I like it the most of this bunch.)

2. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel
(I can always count on JJ to introduce me to some awesome new country artist.)

3. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be in Good Company
(YouTube is often recommending The Dead South to me since I listen to a lot of similar sounding music. Listened to some of their stuff before but nothing has really grabbed me. This song is good, but even though I'm into the folksy/bluegrass sound, there's something about the song that I still find unappealing. The finger-snapping, maybe? The whistling? Their faces? I don't know. I like the song fine but feel like I should love it considering my taste.)

4. Journey - Wheel in the Sky
(I used to scoff at Journey due to their inherent corniness, but Steve Perry's voice eventually turned me into a fan. Don't think there was a note he couldn't hit.)

5. Sam Cooke - Nothing Chan Change This Love
(Was just listening to Sam Cooke's Greatest Hits the other day. Whether you're a fan of soul or not, I don't know how anyone with ears could listen to his music and not feel something stir inside them. With that said, this is far from being one of my favorite Cooke songs, but it's still very, very good.)

6. Number Girl - Omoide in My Head
(That was fun. Great energy. Some surprisingly good musicianship as well.)

7. Clutch - Electric Worry
(I really like Clutch's "The Regulator" and a few of their other songs. Not as impressed with this one. Still like the singer's deep voice and how their music always sounds like it's been smeared in grease. Seems like good music to play in the garage while tampering beneath the hood of some hot rod.)

8. Shal Marshall - Splinter
(At first I mistook this as a commercial for Corona or a cruise vacation. Not at all the type of thing I'd normally listen to, but I can see it being a fun party song in the proper setting.)

9. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
(Solid, but the unremarkable vocals stain the song for me a bit.)

10. Catatonia - Road Rage
(Grating.)

11. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
(Not a fan at all. No energy. Just seemed to drone on and on.)

12. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
(Good for a laugh, at least. My manly perception of blacksmithing has just been shattered.)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company I was actually introduced to this band on a previous Song Tournament and enjoy a number of their songs as well as a few "live" performances on youtube. It's catchy, it's fun and I love it.

Clutch - Electric Worry I had stumbled upon this tune some time ago and while I'm not a fan of Clutch, I really do enjoy this tune.

Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love ahh, Sammy, baby! How I DO love me some Cooke and this is a lesser known one, but still captures all that is beautiful in a Sam Cooke tune.

Journey - Wheel In The Sky There are very few Journey songs I like and the ones I do are their early material such as this. A lot of heart in this.

New Light Choir - Queen of Winter Being an Old School Metalhead, I really liked the musical aspect of this. Especially the opening that reminded of a lot of metal bands during the Eighties that followed the mystical/fantastical motifs. Then the singing started. It didn't gel with the music for me. He sounded like the singer from Billy Talent, a band I do enjoy, so it is not the voice itself, it just felt "off" for the music's landscape that had been established. Which WAS d@mn good.

Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel Since I am not a Country Song kind of guy I cannot say this atypical, but it does seem to hit all the right notes and feels of a solid country tune. Really like the groove of this.

Battle Beast - Black Ninja a definite throwback to the old school metal bands I grew up WITH a singer that is a cohabitation with the music and the whole spike-wristed persona. But a little TOO much like copying past bands without giving substance aka their own take on it. Solid, all the same.

Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1 Never did get to watch a full sitting of the opera Siegfried and got a kick out of this little segment.

number girl - omoide in my head a lively little number. Some very real potential going on here. Quite curious to see where this band goes in the future after a couple of albums of where they go musically.

Hanging Gardens - Unearth They seemed to be caught up on never leaving the slow drudging path, musically. Even the moments elevations are sort of anti-crescendo. I am a big fan of music with gravitas to it, but it seems to have pretense without the depth. Like an author writing about something bleak without ever really experiencing such.

Shal Marshall - Splinters a very fun dance party tune. Definitely. But if you're not at a Caribbean party, it only makes you wish you were instead of listening to one.

Catatonia - Road Rage sadly, did not really hold my attention nor did I enjoy the "pop" groove of this. Sorry.

And, for Round 2
EDIT -- change of songs --

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun