Pixar Hall of Fame

Tools    

Coco (Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/2/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by Nathaniel
Rewatch: Yes

Every time I've watched this film, I've done so with mixed emotions. It's a masterfully crafted piece full of rich detail, vibrant colors, memorable characters, an imaginative story, and an ending that always leaves me in tears. And yet somehow I don't quite love it. Part of it is the heavy fantasy elements and part of it is that it is the closest Pixar has come to releasing a musical, but I feel like there's something else too that I can't put my finger on.

Still it's a very solid movie and, along with Inside Out, was a welcome quality original flick in a string of sequels, prequels, and the lackluster originals Brave and The Good Dinosaur.

Some good stuff here. Monsters University and Coco are the only ones of these I haven't seen so looking forward to those.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
There's legitimately no way I can watch all of these by April 1st. That seems a tight deadline if we are indeed rewatching them all ...

There's legitimately no way I can watch all of these by April 1st. That seems a tight deadline if we are indeed rewatching them all ...

Cool Rauldc14 is out I'll take Finding Nemo that was my first choice

Seen all of these but it's been at least ten years for some of them (A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles).

Coco was my first choice and I half expected someone else to pick it. Inside Out would have been my back up.

Cool Rauldc14 is out I'll take Finding Nemo that was my first choice
Or the deadline could be extended to April 27th and you can change your nomination to Brave. I know Miss Vicky really wants to see it again.

While I personally won't have any trouble meeting the current deadline, I was pretty shocked at how soon it is. @ahwell the deadline for HOFs is traditionally set at 1 week per nomination and even then sometimes extensions are granted. These are easy movies, but people still will have to make time to rewatch them in between dealing with their regular lives.

Or the deadline could be extended to April 27th and you can change your nomination to Brave. I know Miss Vicky really wants to see it again.
"Gorgeous animation, but it views like the product of an unholy union between Brother Bear and How to Train Your Dragon - and is inferior to both in every other way. "

There, my write up is done.

I’m sorry everyone, my intended date was April 27, but I decided to extend it a bit to May 1 and ended up putting April 1. The deadline is now (and was intended to be) May 1, 2019.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm VERY happy with the list of noms, THANKS @ahwell for suggesting and hosting this!
I'm on my phone so I wait to hop on my computer for initial thoughts and possibly my first two previews of rewatches last week: Ratatouille and Bug's Life.
There's a couple of these I've seen countless times I could easily write something up but I would rather (happily) rewatch again.

Oh, and even more ecstatic that Cars didn't make it. Me no likey.

Oh, and Oh postscript: and HELL YEAH having @JayDee join in as a late entry would be great!
(unless he nominates Cars then he can just f@ck off)
But seriously, regardless, PLEEEASE join in, Jay!!

Alright, initial thoughts:

A Bug's Life (John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton, 1998) My nom, or rather my secondary since CR beat me to the punch, by the looks of it, by only minutes. Now, being the second (technically third since I'm sure ahwell had one chosen) to cast a nomination I decided, instead of going with one of the greats or recent, I decided to go with a lesser known, (their second film) just to give it some attention and, hopefully, a little love

Coco (Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, 2017) An absolute pageant of a film. Pretty excited for a rewatch since I've only seen this once.

Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, 2003) Utterly, utterly f@ckin adorable and one of the greats I would have nominated as a second choice.

The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004) Same here for secondary choice. Watched countless times, in fact, a "Sleeping film" at our house. One of a list that we know by heart and drift off to sleep to on the couch at night's end.

Monsters University (Dan Scanlon, 2013) One I actually haven't seen, but pretty happy to finally check out. Surprised the first one didn't make this list, but glad to see a chance to check this one out

Ratatouille (Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava, 2007) This is my all-time favorite with Wall-E nearly tieing first place. Both are beautiful to watch and I'm completely endeared to.

Toy Story (John Lasseter, 1995) The film that started it all and one that has been ages since I've last seen it, so YAY for the opportunity. And yeah, another Great that could have been a secondary - which of course THEN I would have gone searching for a third choice lol

Up (Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, 2009) Another that I just love and was heavily tempted to go as a secondary.

Monsters University (Dan Scanlon, 2013) One I actually haven't seen, but pretty happy to finally check out. Surprised the first one didn't make this list, but glad to see a chance to check this one out

I was actually considering nominating the original one. Would've been interesting having 2 films from the same series in here.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

"Gorgeous animation, but it views like the product of an unholy union between Brother Bear and How to Train Your Dragon - and is inferior to both in every other way. "

There, my write up is done.

Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, 2003)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/3/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by rauldc14
Rewatch: Yes

Finding Nemo was the first Pixar film I ever saw in the theater, having been released a relatively short time after I had come out of the anti-animation phase of my adolescence. I remember being absolutely blown away by the color and the detail. It was truly spectacular. But I also remember laughing at Coral's death (because animation studios just seem to feel the need to kill off their protagonists' parents) and rolling my eyes at the often juvenile humor ("He touched the butt!").

As time has gone on and I've rewatched the film, I've found myself having much greater respect for what the film does well and being less annoyed at its weaknesses. It boasts truly amazing visuals, a great voice cast, and an engaging story. It's quite the technical achievement. Unfortunately, however beautiful and entertaining it may be, for me it lacks the emotional wallop of the studio's better films.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
A Bugs Life and Monsters University are my two blindspots, but I honestly haven't seen Toy Story in forever so that will feel like a new watch too.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wish I saw this earlier, could have included my son in the viewings!!!

Suspect's Reviews

I wish I saw this earlier, could have included my son in the viewings!!!
It's only been about two days or so since it started and there was an agreement about allowing late arrivals, so. . .
If our host and everyone else is kosher with it, shouldn't be a problem.