The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It was either that or be really late as I'm about to go out for like four or five hours.

Anyway, I enjoyed Fantasia a lot when I was a child, but I've not seen it in many years and it didn't get my vote. A little surprised it only made #20 though.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
My list so far*** [/COLOR************ Its Place in the Countdown

1. Fantasia 20
3. Persepolis 28
4. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit-Wallace and Grommit *
7. Bambi**
10. Le Planete Sauvage
16. Coraline
20. Corpse Bride *
21. Ice Age
**Missed the Cut
22. Shrek 21
23. Alice in Wonderland
24. Pinocchio 23

Totals 11/25

Fantasia was my number ten. A childhood classic that still holds up even to this day.

1. Frozen
2. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
3. The Little Mermaid
4. Sleeping Beauty
5. Heavy Metal
10. Fantasia
11. Fantastic Planet
13. Bevis and Butthead Do America
17. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
19. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
21. Bambi
23. The Lady and the Tramp

Watership Down should of been higher. In my opinion A LOT higher. At least in the top 30.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I had the first Shrek on my list, good film. The rest of the series, not so much.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had Fantasia at #8. The whole concept is still pretty "out there". Abstract images of music segue into Mickey Mouse and an army of walking broomsticks which later turn into hippos in tutus dancing with alligators and finish up with a scary devil overcome by a calm, avant-garde "Ave Maria" processional. There are lots of other visual wonders and plenty of awesome classical music. Here are a couple of highlights.

I didn't much like the look of the animation and didn't feel the characters were very well developed. Also, that would've put it a lot higher than a lot of movies that I feel were of much better quality. #75 is a good spot for it, especially considering the quality of some of the films that didn't make the countdown at all.

Shrek and The Iron Giant are both very entertaining films, but neither were ever major favourites of mine. Fantasia desperately needs a rewatch, haven't watched it since i was 11 or something.

Assuming the 20 in FM's post are correct this is my prediction for the remaining 19:

1.Up
2.Wall-E
3.Spirited Away
4.Toy Story
5.The Lion King
6.Toy Story 3
7.Princess Mononoke
8.Ratatoille
9.Grave of thee Fireflies
10.Toy Story 2
11.My Neighbour Totoro
12.Nightmare Before Christmas
13.Monsters Inc
14.The Incredibles
15.Beauty and the Beast
16.Fantastic Mr.Fox
17.Finding Nemo
18.Alladin
19.How To Train Your Dragon

1.Up
2.Wall-E
3.Spirited Away
4.Toy Story
5.The Lion King
6.Toy Story 3
7.Princess Mononoke
8.Ratatoille
9.Grave of thee Fireflies
10.Toy Story 2
11.My Neighbour Totoro
12.Nightmare Before Christmas
13.Monsters Inc
14.The Incredibles
15.Beauty and the Beast
16.Fantastic Mr.Fox
17.Finding Nemo
18.Alladin
19.How To Train Your Dragon
I think there may have been some wishful thinking in this list as well, but you did actually get the placement of a few them right.

I didn't much like the look of the animation and didn't feel the characters were very well developed. Also, that would've put it a lot higher than a lot of movies that I feel were of much better quality. #75 is a good spot for it, especially considering the quality of some of the films that didn't make the countdown at all.
Well considering that it was made by a small British studio in the 70's it wasn't going to have Walt Disney quality animation. I thought the animation was fitting since the story is much darker and grittier than any other "kids" movie.

My only gripe is that sometimes it's hard to tell a couple characters apart because they are drawn the same and have the same color.

I'm not saying it's the best ever, I just think it's underrated. Hopefully when it's released on the Criterion Collection it'll gain more exposure.

I think there may have been some wishful thinking in this list as well, but you did actually get the placement of a few them right.
Not really actually it's just very difficult to figure out which ones are most popular, since Animation is rarely discussed by quite a few of the voters. With the Decades lists i always feel pretty confident in what the top ten will be (not the order) and i'm usually right, with this list i'd only say i was completely confident on about 5 making it.

Well, that settles it. Up is #1.