Inland Empire and the purpose of a film

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Well, I think Lynch really did something special with Mulholland Drive, because he was able to create a thoroughly surreal film but exercise enough restraint. It also makes quite a bit more sense on first (ok second) blush. Also, he has created some of his most beautiful and elegant shots and scenes ever in MD. The walk up the hill near the end just after Camilla meets Diane at the car is one of my favorite moments in film ever.

I am kind of the opposite to this. Whilst I think Mulholland Drive is a great film, I feel it suffers on repeat viewings as it loses the element of mystery as the plot is actually quite straightforward, I think.

I love mystery and would prefer the film to leave huge gaps leaving you thinking what on earth just happened, like Sedai's sig says, Lynch likes the film to leave room for the imagination, Inland Empire is like one massive puzzle and part of these long, weird, surreal scenes are in fitting with its mystery.
I just let the film wash over me at this point. It's quite visceral, so it just does its thing and I revel in the images, sounds and feelings the work inspires in me. This is why I feel it is one of the best examples of true cinema ever made.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
On a side note, Laura Dern in Inland Empire is absolutely fantastic and displays one of the best performances from an actor/actress I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

Reviews

I'm more of a conventional films fan.I've seen both Eraserhead and Holy Motors and I didn't like them.Eraserhead was one of the toughest films to watch for me.

But I can understand if someone does adore them.It's just another type of films and if they exist,it means that they have an audience.If there are comedies,romance then there's also surrealism and arthouse.

And there's no need to explain why this film is good unless you're a critic.I know tons of people who love Eraserhead and when I asked them why or it's about,they just replied "I don't know what it's about,I just love it."

As for looking objectively,I think that films which have no plot should have awesome style(visuals).For example,Eraserhead manages to create the right mood so it can be considered a good film.The content,B&W,acting,basically no dialog makes this film uneasy and disturbing and I think was the purpose of the film.That means that it is a good film.

Finally,the purpose of the film is to each his own.Once my teacher told me that art is made to make people better.I've also heard that art is what separates us from animals.For me,art(movies) is an emotional experience or just a treat for the eyes.

People who dislike these kinds of films aren't likely to be won over by either a Mulholland or an Empire, but as much as I like surreality in films, I don't much enjoy it unless the film also includes something of deeper significance to work with...

Un Chien Andalou got tedious the longer I watched it; Mulholland did not because I felt there was a definite story being told, just not in typical fashion, and I'm satisfied at this point what that story and its significance is. I don't believe Lynch's films are merely random weirdness for weirdness' sake. There are themes being played out, emotional and psychological dynamics that are complex but not pointless. They may include a degree of nonsensicality, but that is also an element and not an overriding style.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I loved Mulholland Drive, and I loved Eraserhead even more. David Lynch does like his movies open to interpretation, so he can be a bit vague. Now I had no idea what was going on at the end of each movie the very first time I watched it. But as I let it swirl around in my head for a bit, I start to put the pieces together more and I go from that starting point on the next viewing. From there the movie gets better. Especially with Eraserhead. With that in mind I think he did too good a job being vague with Inland Empire. I can't call it a bad or even a mediocre movie, I just like his other movies better. Maybe with subsequent viewings the movie can become clearer, but until then I say it is the movie of his I enjoy the least.

I am glad you enjoyed it Daniel!

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Inland Empire reminded me a lot of a film from last year, the French Holy Motors and I believe that both film-makers had similar things to say. Both are films about films, about the evolution of films, digital film making, identity, the roles we play, characters and relationships. And I hope someone who has seen both films can see why I am coming from.
Inland Empire?
I can't really see where you're coming from on this and, in fact, I believe that what each film was saying was far different. Holy Motors was very straightforwardly about the death of film. It opens with the sleepiest movie theater in the world, and continues to follow Oscar as he performs and is told that his art is dying. The implication that Carax believes that film is dying is very explicit. The only thing I see in common between the two films is quite obviously the use of a surrealistic plot.

Inland Empire however, has very little at all that can be directly read as implications on the future of film. If anything, the film's harsh digital footage that was so praised by Lynch as revolutionary, shows an acceptance and appreciation or the course that film has taken. The Rabbits section criticizes sitcoms of course, but besides that, it's a pretty archetypal Lynch story. The dark seeds hidden in a seemingly perfectly beautiful film evoke the darkness under the surface. The main plot revolves around what most Lynch films revolve around, a woman in trouble. And it, like Mulholland Dr. criticizes and analyzes Hollywood culture.

Inland Empire is one of my favorite Lynch films. It has a lot in common with Mulholland Drive in that both films are concerned with "the dark side of Hollywood" but I agree with Daniel that it is more focused on the evolution of film, digital video, etc. I remember it feeling almost like a "greatest hits" album for Lynch; there were so many great moments that I felt were totally emblematic of his work that by the end I knew I could ask for no better summation of his career. As much as I would like for him to make at least one more movie, he'd have a tough time topping this one and it really is quite a finale. And it is a very scary film- Lynch's most disturbing, IMO.

As for the Holy Motors connection, yes, they do have a lot in common. When I saw Carax' film I didn't really connect it with Inland Empire in particular but I was immediately struck by how Lynch's influence was written all over it.

I can't really see where you're coming from on this and, in fact, I believe that what each film was saying was far different. Holy Motors was very straightforwardly about the death of film. It opens with the sleepiest movie theater in the world, and continues to follow Oscar as he performs and is told that his art is dying. The implication that Carax believes that film is dying is very explicit. The only thing I see in common between the two films is quite obviously the use of a surrealistic plot.

Inland Empire however, has very little at all that can be directly read as implications on the future of film. If anything, the film's harsh digital footage that was so praised by Lynch as revolutionary, shows an acceptance and appreciation or the course that film has taken. The Rabbits section criticizes sitcoms of course, but besides that, it's a pretty archetypal Lynch story. The dark seeds hidden in a seemingly perfectly beautiful film evoke the darkness under the surface. The main plot revolves around what most Lynch films revolve around, a woman in trouble. And it, like Mulholland Dr. criticizes and analyzes Hollywood culture.
As that not though still the evolution of film? I'll copy something Jim Emerson wrote about Holy Motors:

" "Holy Motors" is about movies -- about making them and watching them and living them -- and it's about acting, not just for the camera but the roles we all play every day, the faces we put on and take off for different audiences, and for ourselves. "Holy Motors" is about movies -- about making them and watching them and living them -- and it's about acting, not just for the camera but the roles we all play every day, the faces we put on and take off for different audiences, and for ourselves"

I don't think the film was as pessimistic and about death as you say, although maybe I should watch it again. And are you saying then you don't see similarities about what I mention 'digital film making, identity, the roles we play, characters and relationships', because they definitely both deal with them, even if it's in different ways, although I feel that the blur between reality/acting is quite similarly shown.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I believe the holy motors refer to more than just movie cameras. If you pay attention to the cars talking at the end in the Holy Motors garage, there's an implication that the cars are a transport to and from another world, and that world may well be the movies, but it may well be spiritual or a way of tying the spiritual to the movies. A lot happens at the end of the movie, and I prefer to believe it has meaning rather than just being straight surrealism.

Now, the ending of IE on the other hand...

As that not though still the evolution of film? I'll copy something Jim Emerson wrote about Holy Motors:

" "Holy Motors" is about movies -- about making them and watching them and living them -- and it's about acting, not just for the camera but the roles we all play every day, the faces we put on and take off for different audiences, and for ourselves. "Holy Motors" is about movies -- about making them and watching them and living them -- and it's about acting, not just for the camera but the roles we all play every day, the faces we put on and take off for different audiences, and for ourselves"

I don't think the film was as pessimistic and about death as you say, although maybe I should watch it again. And are you saying then you don't see similarities about what I mention 'digital film making, identity, the roles we play, characters and relationships', because they definitely both deal with them, even if it's in different ways, although I feel that the blur between reality/acting is quite similarly shown.
I've read Emerson's take on it (it's a shame he hasn't been writing recently) and I agree that Holy Motors is very much about film and acting and life as art (and vice versa). What I don't see is how Inland Empire relates to that. Yes, the film has its moments where the boundaries between film and life are crossed, and its where the film takes a dive into Lynch's brain, but the lines here blur too much for the film to simply be about the way we act in life or any cinematic connection to life. Lynch's meta-film is just another Lumberton in Blue Velvet or City of Dreams in Mulholland Dr. It's a seemingly sweet and innocent thing that actually turns out to be sinister. If the film ended with the revelation that the Dern's death was in the film, the case would be more clear to single out a similar theme. But it ends in its strangely cathartic way with the observer in the beginning. A case could be made about Lynch's feelings on film at the time via the observer's role, but I think that misses the core of the film's tale that is exactly as Lynch said it is, a woman in trouble.

I also thought that the two were very tonally and visually different. Inland Empire is all about experimentation. He pushes what many believe to be the negative components of digital shooting (poor lighting and grainy imagery) to their limits with uncomfortably lit shots like this:

And he frames and distorts characters faces in uncomfortable ways:

Pushing it to its obvious extreme as well:

Carax, on the other hand, shoots his film very soberly. Besides goofy iris shots and on stage (instead of in the camera) distortions like the motion capture scene, his camera is very calm and observant. Carax's effects are all physical, while Lynch's are all digital. A similarly uncomfortable image like the rose eater character's big reveal is framed slightly askew, but besides that, the shock comes entirely from the makeup:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holy motors.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	10864

If this says anything about Carax's view on the new technology (as well as the motion capture scene with the woman) it's that he prefers the old, hands on methods, and prefers the camera to be just an observer. Don't et me wrong, I love both films, but I think that Holy Motors is purely and uniquely cinema while Inland Empire is purely and uniquely David Lynch.

I believe the holy motors refer to more than just movie cameras. If you pay attention to the cars talking at the end in the Holy Motors garage, there's an implication that the cars are a transport to and from another world, and that world may well be the movies, but it may well be spiritual or a way of tying the spiritual to the movies. A lot happens at the end of the movie, and I prefer to believe it has meaning rather than just being straight surrealism.
That's an interesting take Mark, and the importance/meaning of the cars was something I hadn't really considered, I'll be honest. The name Holy Motors could also hint at a spiritual connection to the vehicles. I love the scene with the cars and the woman in the mask, but like you say I never really considered it more than surrealism.

I haven't seen Holy Motors or Inland Empire yet, but I've seen a few David Lynch films, his most surrealistic being Eraserhead, and I enjoyed them so far.

First of all, I think surrealism SHOULD have a purpose, whether it is to send a bigger message or to just entertain and I do want some kind of 'meaning' if I watch a (feature length) "movie" (I'm not talking about pure artistic films, which can be whatever they want to be).

I don't need a typical plot, but I do need something that grabs me and induces some sort of feeling/meaning/ideas in an original and interesting way.

An example:
One could just make a film from a woman crying the whole time in an exorbitantly expensive-looking apartment or something like that. It would induce certain questions and one could search several explanations for it, but it wouldn't be particularly interesting to watch, in my opinion. It wouldn't keep my interest.

Eraserhead is different, because practically every piece of that film has something recognizable in it. Frustrations of parenthood, the search for escapism, a feeling of emptiness and nihilism (indicated by the rather brilliant metaphor of the 'eraser'), the constant self-pity, etc.
Another thing that makes it interesting and above all entertaining is the constant presence of dark humor/cynicism and the several horror elements of the story. The atmosphere also complements the situations of the film perfectly.
I felt this film had something to say about life or at least, I found it to be interesting and meaningful in some sort of way for me personally. It did not feel aimlessly.

I haven't seen Inland Empire yet and I'm kind of avoiding it to be honest, because, from what I've heard from some people whose opinions I respect, it's just beauty and disturbing images, without any meaning or anything to grab at all. I can't speak for my own experience, as I haven't seen it, but I'm not sure if Lynch could grab my attention with purely artistic images for three hours without really having anything to say. I'm not saying Inland Empire is that kind of film, but if it is, I'm afraid it would leave me cold.
I'm sure a lot of people can find meaning in just about everything, but I need something that's just a tiny bit clearer than pure speculation.
I'll be happy to give my own opinion about Inland Empire after I've seen it.

To answer Daniel M's main question: I enjoy (but don't necessarily prefer) films from filmmakers that use the medium of film for a different purpose and I certainly like ambiguity and space for thought, but I'm not a huge fan of the pure concept of "l'art pour l'art". There has to be 'something' I can relate with. Up to now, I've always found that 'something' in Lynch's work (Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead).

I will be popping Inland Empire in the DVD player this evening. All this discussion has given me that ol' Lynch itch.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I think I love Inland Empire even more than Mulholland Drive.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Agreed. Mulholland Dr.'s first acts were too cohesive for me for the last act to work entirely for me. But Inland Empire was such surreal pleasure throughout, and it's ending is indescribably cathartic.

Why is that?

Agreed. Mulholland Dr.'s first acts were too cohesive for me for the last act to work entirely for me. But Inland Empire was such surreal pleasure throughout, and it's ending is indescribably cathartic.

Are you saying that a surrealistic film can only work fully when it's sustained throughout the whole film?