So, how do we feel about Ultraviolet movies?

Tools    

I know I personally love them. Portable, no lugging discs around, the girlfriend can't complain about the clutter...I have about 1500 movies on Vudu.

How do the rest of you feel about digital copies?

Not a fan of any kind of streaming myself.
Lacking quality in sound and picture... hardcopy every time for me.

One thing that gets my goat recently is these adverts for "box sets".
"You can get the box set on our site"

Erm, a digital stream of a series, entire series or not, isn't a box set.
False advertising.

Used to be big on the hard copies, but I care less as time goes on and I'm more about convenience.

I'm not nuts about a digital copy that only works through a specific service, or has to be streamed, but I don't mind them if I have enough control over how/where I watch it.

Used to be big on the hard copies, but I care less as time goes on and I'm more about convenience.

I'm not nuts about a digital copy that only works through a specific service, or has to be streamed, but I don't mind them if I have enough control over how/where I watch it.
That's why I like ultraviolet over the itunes ones.

One thing that gets my goat recently is these adverts for "box sets".
"You can get the box set on our site"

Erm, a digital stream of a series, entire series or not, isn't a box set.
False advertising.

....true. But I think that's just to speak in terms consumers are used to.

I agree about streaming - as it takes alot of power to stream a decent version of anything.

But "hard copy only" for quality isn't really true - I have a few digital copies of my movies that are extremely high quality. Granted they are 10GB - 20GB filesize but they aren't hard copy. They work just as well as a BluRay.

I know I personally love them. Portable, no lugging discs around, the girlfriend can't complain about the clutter...I have about 1500 movies on Vudu.

How do the rest of you feel about digital copies?
Love em, not only is it handy to have access to films on mobile devices, It's also nice to have them via the vudu app on my players... Real nice if I'm upstairs and want to watch a movie, just open the vudu app, pick something, no need to run get a disk.

Now that I'm replacing my library with Blu-Ray I go out of my way to only gets sets with the digital code, that way I can watch the disc, put it away, and next time I want to watch, just watch the digital copy. same 1080 surround sound quality, no need to ever touch the disk again unless the digital copy isn't accessible (which has never happened)

Plus I mentioned that to a lot of my movie friends who have no use for UV codes and whenever they buy something new, text me a pic of the UV code so I have tons in my library on top of what I've bought.

I only stream if it's a movie I'm uncertain about or if I'm bored and it's on Amazon, Netflix, or available through the Comcast app. If I decide to buy something, I get the hard copy every time.

I usually sell them once I buy the blu ray on an Ultraviolet group I'm part of on Facebook. I have nothing against them, but why have two copies of the same movie? I'm never really watching the movie in a different place, or anything. I'll be willing to buy a cheap code every now, and again however if there's a movie I want to watch that I don't necessarily care enough about to have in my blu ray collection, or I haven't watched it yet.

I'm not a fan of expiration dates on digital copies. If I love the film, I'll buy a hard copy.
A lot of those they don't even enforce, like I just bought the entire Resident Evil set on blu-ray in a box set from Amazon, then noticed people in the reviews complaining because the digital codes were expired, got mine in, decided "What the hell" put the code in and all 5 movies unlocked.

It had a master code to unlock the whole set at once, then the last film had it's own code so I guess that's a spare to trade away.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever checked the dates, but considering I'm replacing a lot of films several years old, I'd lay money a lot of the codes I get are expired but to date not one has kicked back with an error.

Not a fan of streaming films, especially when I have the physical copy also. I just shove the codes up on my facebook page and let friends and family battle for them.

Love collecting films so until they stop selling physical copies...

What I do hate, is the horrible stickers they shove on the slipcovers of blu-rays to say there is a UV digital code in it, some of the stickers are hard to remove and tear bits off the slipcover, bugger off.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
well, look at it this way: in time [or no time at all] physical copies will be redundant [and they already are becoming]

I'm all for having an extensive videotheque that occupies no physical space [and thus, no clutter]. Same thing with music and books.

I never use any disc format anymore I find home video streaming or downloads to be enough for my needs. I rarely buy a film though because I am not a huge fan of watching the same thing over and over again as I normally have a back catalogue of things i am trying to catch up with all the time and these days watching something twice is a rare and watching something three times is pretty much unheard off.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
well, look at it this way: in time [or no time at all] physical copies will be redundant [and they already are becoming]

I'm all for having an extensive videotheque that occupies no physical space [and thus, no clutter]. Same thing with music and books.
Ugh...I will always prefer a physical copy of a book.

Suspect's Reviews

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Many do. I, for one, hate carrying them around, letting them collect dust [I really hate dust] or writing on them. Ever since the early 2000's I got into the PDF thing for underlying/editing any study material. It can damage your eyes [and it sure does] but even so, I prefer it for quick access and all around availability.

^ Same.

Also, digital music, MP3s, music online... all awful. Hard copy on CD is the best format going for music.
A digital representation of sound (MP3, online streaming), is like a digital representation of 3 dimensional images on those crappy 3D movies that show up every 20 years to rope in the new generation to spending their cash.
It simply doesn't work.

Online movies and streaming, downloading et al, are low quality images and sound when compared to DVD and Blu-Ray... which is exactly what a movie or a song shouldn't be.

I used to feel the same way, but there is something great about having 1200 books sitting in one device ready to go. Add that and the 300 audiobooks on my iphone and my solar charger and I am so ready to live out Cast Away.

I have personally love these movies.