Nausicaa: DVD & Blu-Ray Collection

Tools    

Two of my Criterions arrived today - one from the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale and the other from Amazon for a few £ cheaper than getting it from the Barnes & Noble sale.

Z - Region 1(America) - don't believe it's out on Blu-ray yet.

Monsieur Verdoux - Region A(America) - my second Charlie Chaplin film from Criterion.

Two more from the Barnes & Noble sale came through today:

Missing - Region 1(America) - Yet to be released on Blu-ray.

Medium Cool - Region A(America)

Three additions, two are gorgeous steelbook editions:

Before Sunrise - Region 2(Britain)

Evil Dead(remake) - Region B(Britain) - Steelbook edition with DVD also. For those in Britain who don't want the steelbook but would love a slipcover, Sainsbury's are doing a limited edition 2 disc collector's Blu-ray with a slipcover.

The Place Beyond The Pines - Region B(Britain) - Steelbook edition with DVD also.

This fantastic looking Blu-ray fell through the post today. I was worried because it took it's time and thought customs had caught it but obviously not as it's come through.

The Battle of Algiers - Region A(America) - Criterion Collection digipak style 2 disc edition with slipcover.

All the following I got from France:

Les Revenants/The Returned - Region 2 - I prefer the artwork to the British release out next month for this wonderful television series.

Welcome to the Punch - Region B - with slipcover

Twixt - Region A, B & C - with slipcover

Taxi - Region B - The original French film, 15th Anniversary edition with slipcover and booklet.

Oslo: August 31st - Region B - in special cardboard packaging.

Some I got in the last couple of days:

The Trigger Effect - Region 1(America)

Adventures in Babysitting - Region A, B & C - I really can't wait to see this again, the last time I saw this was when it was out on VHS only and I watched it so much growing up that the VHS eventually didn't work anymore, so haven't seen it since. Got it for around £7 on Blu-ray, it's not a great transfer from what I saw but it's a huge improvement over the VHS.

Don Mckay - Region A(America) - It actually says the disc is Region A, B & C on the back cover but it must be a misprint because it would not play on my Region B player saying it can't play the region disc...

^ You might have noticed a connection with those three films above.

Breaking Bad(series 2) - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover. I'm about half way through series 1 and I'm really enjoying it, so saw this cheap in one of my local supermarkets and decided to get it ready for when I finish series 1.

Top of the Lake - Region 2(Britain) - Digipak edition with slipcover. Really recommend this series, especially if you are a fan of Jane Campion and haven't seen it yet.

House of Cards - Region B(Britain) - A digipak fold out edition with slipcover. Yet to see this 'remake' series so looking forwards to it.

Oblivion - Region A, B & C(Britain) - Steelbook edition of this fantastic science fiction film. This film looks absolutely stunning on blu-ray.

Got some today:

Some Guy Who Kills People - Region B(Germany)

Under The Bed - Region B(Germany)

Agora - Region Free(Germany) - with slipcover

A Clockwork Orange - Region B(Germany) - 2 disc edition digibook with a see through protective slipcover.

Halloween H20 - Region B(Germany) - Digibook 'uncut' edition with DVD. With Halloween coming out in a few months in a steelbook edition, I will finally have both of my favourite films from the series on blu-ray.

Various arrivals and buys during the last few days. The last of my Criterion orders from the Barnes & Noble sale came through also:

Close-Up - Region A(America) - Criterion Collection edition

Ministry of Fear - Region A(America) - Criterion Collection edition

The Devil's Backbone - Region A(America) - Criterion Collection edition

The Bleeding House - Region Free(Britain) - With slipcover. I was going to get this DVD from America as I prefer the artwork on the cover but this was much cheaper so decided to go for the British release instead.

Daughters of Darkness - Region Free(America) - 2 disc special edition. At the time I didn't realise it came with a second separate film and it was the first disc I saw in the box and thought they had sent me the wrong DVD disc... but anyway, it has a second film called The Blood Splattered Bride, anyone seen this? any good?

Escape - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover. Apparently the Blu-ray release has Swedish dubbing and no original audio, so went with the British DVD release instead that has the original audio.

Hadewijch - Region 2(Britain)

First Born - Region 1(America)

Police - Region 2(Britain) - 2 disc edition from Masters of Cinema - basically the closest Britain has to the Criterion Collection.

I'm not sure if I've seen The Blood Spattered Bride or if I just have a copy somewhere, maybe on VHS. The plot sounds familiar, but after a while they all start to sound familiar. If I have seen it, I don't think it's since I was in my early teens.

Daughters of Darkness is wonderful, though. Have you seen it before?

Yes, I'm hoping it's wonderfully odd.

New buys:

Hannibal(series 1) - Region B(Britain) - With a rather dashing slipcover. I didn't see this on television because I wanted to wait for the Blu-ray box set. Love the look of it so looking forwards to this series.

Shoot First, Die Later - Region A(America) - With alternative artwork slipcover. Wanted to see this Italian film for ages but been waiting for the price to come down.

Reprise - Region 1(America) - got the DVD from America because the DVD seems to be going for high prices in Britain for some reason. There are even some people selling the above Region 1 DVD for over £70... when you can just get it from America for £5 like I did... it's silly.

Simon Killer - Region B(Britain) - This was a pre-order that just came out this week. Masters of Cinema decided to add it to their collection to release.

No One Lives - Region A(America) - Comes with a DVD also. Out here at the end of the month but I preferred the artwork and wanted to see it earlier. A lot seemed to hate this film but I ended up liking this horror film. Luke Evans is going to make a wonderful lead in the new adaptation of The Crow.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - Region Free(Britain) - Steelbook edition. Normally I wouldn't buy a Star Trek film but I adore Benedict Cumberbatch.

A Hijacking - Region 2(Britain) - With reflective style slipcover.

Intolerable Cruelty - Region Free(Britain)

Donnie Darko - Region A(America) - 10th Anniversary 4 disc edition. I sold my two DVD versions of Donnie Darko to upgrade one of my all time favourite films to Blu-ray.

I'm still unconvinced by Hannibal. By the last few episodes I was close to giving up on it, however, I have to say that I liked the last episode and it appears to set up what may be an interesting second season.

^ I'm four episodes into Hannibal and I adore it.

New arrivals and buys for this week, all Blu-ray steelbooks:

Firefly - Region A & B(Britain) - One of my favourite television series, decided to upgrade it to Blu-ray. I got it for a bargin price in my eyes, down from £39.99 to £13, and it's now back up in price. So glad I got in the order at the right time.

Iron Man 3 - Region B(Britain) - My favourite film in the series.

Byzantium - Region B(Britain)

The Rocketeer - Region A, B & C(Britain) - Haven't seen this film in years since I saw it in the cinema so I'm looking forwards to watching it again.

Got rather a lot to get through on here, a collection of new additions from last week and this week - mostly online orders as online had the lowest prices.

The Body - Region B(Britain) - All the shops near me only had this on DVD so had to order it online to get the Blu-ray edition, got it for the same price as the DVD price in all the shops... This horror film is suppose to have a stunning ending.

Banshee(Series 1) - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover. Television series I've been interested in seeing for some time, the DVD set finally came down to a reasonable price in my eyes.

Black Rock - Region 2(Britain) - With shiny slipcover. Heard it described as 'mumblecore feminist' horror... we shall see.

Amer - Region B(Britain) - Found this brand new in HMV for only £4.99. I think that was a bargin.

A Bottle in the Gaza Sea - Region 1(America) - Not available here in Britain at the moment and can't see a release date last time I looked so got it cheap from America. Been excited to see this ever since I saw the trailer.

Confessions - Region B(Britain) - 2 disc edition. Kamikaze Girls, from the same director, is one of my all time favourite films so I'm very interested to see what the director has done with a very very different kind of film.

Citadel - Region 2(Britain) - With shiny slipcover. Was getting sick of waiting for my rental place trying to get this in stock to rent out, so decided to buy it instead when I saw it got a new release in the shops.

Dancer in the Dark - Region 2(Britain) - Had this on DVD for years but had to replace it, so I got this new edition from Film4, I actually prefer the new artwork on the cover this time around.

Found Memories - Region 1(America) - Again, a film that I don't believe is available in Britain so I got it cheap brand new off a trader from America that I usually shop with when getting releases from America. It was recommended on this board in someone's top films list.

Frankenstein's Army - Region 2(Britain) - Been looking forwards to seeing this twisted horror film for ages, looks mad!

The Hunt - Region B(Britain) - Another Blu-ray I found cheap in HMV, think it was about £6 brand new. Heard very good things about Mads Mikkelsen's performance in this film.

Outpost 11 - Region Free(Britain) - with shiny effect slipcover. Saw this in my local supermarket and liked the sound of this horror/psychological thriller film, think it's a British made film.

No - Region 2(Britain) - With alternative artwork slipcover.

Political Animals(Complete series) - Region 1(America) - Another television series I have wanted to check out for a long time. A mini series that's suppose to be rather decent.

Starbuck - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover and orange edition DVD box. Wanted to see this French film before the American remake that's out soon with Vince Vaughn in the lead.

The Prestige - Region Free(Britain) - Steelbook edition that was released this week, I now have all the Christopher Nolan films I like in special packaging editions.

Kamikaze Girls - Region B(Britain) - 2 disc edition. I mentioned this above, I've upgraded from the DVD to Blu-ray so can't wait to see this again. The extras on my DVD edition didn't have English subtitles as I got it from Hong Kong.

World War Z - Region Free(America) - Comes with a lovely slipcover. Britain did get a steelbook but I didn't like the artwork on it, so went for the unrated cut release from America that comes out earlier than Britain.

Rebellion - Region B(Britain) - With slipcover. My rental place only has the DVD to rent and I wanted to see this on Blu-ray so decided to buy it. From the director of La Haine, so it's one I'm looking forwards to seeing.

Stoker - Region A, B & C(France) - with slipcover.

Trance - Region A, B & C(France) - with slipcover.

I'd be interested to see what you think of Frankenstein's Army. I'm unconvinced but it does have the potential to be a fun, made ride. Trance and The Hunt are both films I'd like to see. While I hope you enjoy Banshee, I couldn't get on with it. I think I made 3 or 4 episodes before giving up.

^ Even though I liked Frankenstein's Army it was a horrible experience to watch for me. For 81 minutes I had horrendous motion sickness because it's a 'found footage' shot film - one of the army officers is using a film camera all the way through.

If it had been shot normally and they had a bit more money for the effects then it would have been excellent and disturbing(a few things were laughable). There is one amazing eerie thing on stilts, not as tall as in the poster below though. I would have liked to have delved deeper into the mind of the Doctor and his past, and the film being more of a psychological horror than soldiers chased by all sorts of weird things.

While I hope you enjoy Banshee, I couldn't get on with it. I think I made 3 or 4 episodes before giving up.
I watched episode 1 last night after Frankenstein's Army and I really enjoyed it so looking forwards to the rest of the series. I was going to watch two episodes but I felt so sick I just wanted to go to sleep.

Thanks, Nausucaa. I think I'll skip it then. I tend to avoid "found footage" films.

If you made it past episode one without wanting to turn it off, I think you should be ok. I was tempted to turn it off about seven times in that first episode, including right at the start when he's walking across the road to that bar. I can't take anyone seriously as a 'hard man' if they walk as if they've got a stick up their arse.