Best old action star films

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As far as Errol Flynn goes, I like the films already mentioned but my fave is Gentleman Jim, and I'd add The Charge of the Light Brigade, Dodge City, The Dawn Patrol and The Prince and the Pauper.

Tyrone Power was also very good, especially in The Mark of Zorro, The Black Swan, Son of Fury, Jesse James and Captain From Castile.

All a matter of perspective. At my age, a 30-year-old movie made in 1983 doesn't seem all that "old" at all. But I suppose as a kid watching movies in 1970, something made in 1940 would have indeed seemed old. Funny how that works.

Regarding Stallone and Schwarzenegger: good in their time, but I don't agree they have no equal these days. Jason Statham for one.

Errol Flynn: To me he was always epitomized the difference between a "star" and an "actor." Great star. Mediocre actor. Even when he was trying to give a serious performance, there always seemed to be the ghost of a smirk on his face, as if he could never really take acting seriously.

Comparing action of yesterday with action of today: filmmakers of today reach greater heights because they are standing on the shoulders of those who came before them. Only natural that they would be more technically proficient, especially when you consider the computer technology and astronomical budgets now being invested. Still, every now and then you come across really astonishing scenes in those "old" movies. In Zulu ('64), the battle scene in which the British troops repel a wave of attacks, step back, reform their lines, absorb another charge, step back, reform ... as thrilling as anything you'll see today.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Dolph Lundgren in The Punisher (MUCH better movie than it's remake), Universal Soldier, Showdown In Little Tokyo, BlackJack, The Minion.
The original Punisher. I really do not see the problem with it. Its no Oscar winner, but its meat and potatoes 80s action and its unapologetic in its violence.
Sure, the character was changed and people moan about his origin, but writers have messed with almost every comic origin.
Warzone goes back to the book much closely and is also a favorite of mine, but Jane's Punisher film didn't impress me at all.

Back on topic:

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Van Damme getting his butt kicked in Expendables 2

back on topic... Indiana Jones... minus 4.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Let's be honest, the "action" movies from the 30s and 40s do not match the standards set by Arnie and Sly in the late 70s and most of the 80s. Throw in Willis and JCVD and you have a generation of action stars who were still great going into the 90s.
What does that mean, "do not match the standards?" Does that mean they're aren't enough explosions and corny one-liners? Errol Flynn starred in some amazing adventure pictures, and even some damn great dramas. His career easily outshines Arnie, Sly and Willis combined. As for JCVD... he blows.

Furthermore, I think Errol Flynn's career could have gone on strong for longer than any of those you mentioned if he hadn't been a lazy, impulsive booze-hound, and one who didn't know how take care of either his health or his finances. He's a rather tragic figure really, but still fantastic at what he did.
As far as Errol Flynn goes, I like the films already mentioned but my fave is Gentleman Jim
That was Flynn's favorite film of his career, and it's easy to see why. Excellent film.
Errol Flynn: To me he was always epitomized the difference between a "star" and an "actor." Great star. Mediocre actor. Even when he was trying to give a serious performance, there always seemed to be the ghost of a smirk on his face, as if he could never really take acting seriously.
How can you watch The Dawn Patrol or They Died With Their Boots On and think he's a mediocre actor? The man was one of the most under-appreciated actors of his era, and it's sad that even now some people just don't see it. He's very talented, and when there's a "ghost of a smirk on his face" it's because it fits either the role or the scene. Most action-picture actors are known for this tongue-in-cheek style acting, but none are as good at it as Flynn.