Better remakes than original or highly regarded remakes

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I was there when it was released, and no, nobody was thinking about that old show, because all us comic fans were still basking in the glory of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. When the first hints of the flick started emerging, which at that time, visually, was restricted to film clips shown on Late Night talk shows when they interviewed the actors, everybody flipped out because it looked like Burton was channeling Miller perfectly.

Alas, Burton just couldn't resist the urge to add a bunch of camp to the flick, go way over-the-top, and make it the Jack Nicholson show.

Not a great movie.

I saw it twice in theaters, though, because it was definitely the best we had for comic flicks at the time, save Superman : The Movie.

People Need To Re-Read **** Twice on Here
halloween remake.
from rob zombie.

killed the original

"There's No F***ing Ice Cream In Your F***ing Future"

I prefer 1977 s hills have eyes, its much better than the remake,much more atmospheric

I have trouble calling a film a remake if both are from another source like a novel.

This.

Many people quote The Thing, The Fly, Scarface, Cape Fear as remakes... hell even Wiki and IMDb class them as remakes... when they're simply based on the same novel/comic etc.
Is Man Of Steel a remake of Superman: The Movie or is Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy a remake of the Burton/Schumacher Batman series?
No.

Hell even True Grit (2010) isn't a remake.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) was much better than Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956).

Ben-Hur (1959) was much better than Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925).

The Bachelor (1999) was much better than Seven Chances (1925).

and

Twelve Monkeys (1995) was much better than La Jetee (1962).

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think The Fly remake is better than the original, and The Thing at least equals the original, perhaps better.

Am I the only one who thinks that both King Kong remakes are better than the 1933 original?

I cannot disagree more - oh, not that War of the Worlds was pants, because it was, but most films are allegorical in nature. This is one of the main reasons I watch and enjoy film, for the symbolism and metaphor contained within.

Most films have a subtext that deals with deeper concepts other than what appears on the surface of the narrative. I mean, do you really want The Lord of the Rings to be about jewelry?
Tolkien was rather keen on stating LOTR was not direct allegory of course and I think that shows you the different, applicability to certain subjects and wider themes are one thing but when something is made such an obvious reference to 9/11 it becomes rather limited as cinema IMHO.

Tolkien was rather keen on stating LOTR was not direct allegory of course and I think that shows you the different, applicability to certain subjects and wider themes are one thing but when something is made such an obvious reference to 9/11 it becomes rather limited as cinema IMHO.

In what way did LOTR purposely reference 9/11?

The title "Two Towers" or that Uruk who commits suicide at the Battle of the Hornburg?

I can see what you mean... however, all that stuff was written way before 9/11 and our current understanding of suicide bombers.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Dick Maas' 1983 "killer elevator" film The Lift has a pretty good remake that Maas himself directed, called Down (which was temporarily re-titled The Shaft).The remake, set in New York City's Millennium Building (Empire State Building), adds a twist involving the belief of a terrorist plot, was made shortly before 9/11, adds more intrigue to the film with James Marshall's mechanic teaming up with Naomi Watts' journalist. Ron Perlman is Marshall's boss and the always great to watch Michael Ironside is the scientist who created the biochips that create the "killer elevators".

Better remake than original? A Star is Born (1937) is a good movie, but the 1954 remake -- even with all the cuts it suffered immediately after its release -- is incredible.

Better remake than original? A Star is Born (1937) is a good movie, but the 1954 remake -- even with all the cuts it suffered immediately after its release -- is incredible.

(2018) A Star is Born, one might end up winning both the Oscar for BP and the Grammy for Best Album of the year.

But you've got plenty of good remakes, Three Men and a Baby(1987) 3:10 to Yuma(2007), An Affair to Remember(1957), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)