Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Roger Waters: The Wall -

Trying to determine if I'd like this more or less if I hadn't actually been to one of these concerts.

Almost Famous (Cameron Crowe, 2000)
+
Eminently likeable drama that's rock 'n' roll but with soul

they call me mr wayno
Alien: Covenant --

A fairly decent continuation from Prometheus, IMHO getting back to the roots of the Alien franchise. Nothing spectacular here, just a crew that encounters more xenomorphs and gets chewed up. No spoilers, but you figure out pretty quickly how the show will end, and who will survive.

What's missing for me was the horror of the first two films. With this, yeah, lots of blood and violence, but not that impending sense of doom and fear from the crew members -- it failed to bring me into their world.

Overall, a fun flick, no regrets.

movies can be okay...
Elena (2011):

So after initially watching "Elena" a couple of months ago, I've always planned on revisiting it again, the exceptional cinematography alone should be a reason to return to the film multiple times, trust me, it is so pleasing to the eye. Director Andrey Zvyagintsev who's notably known for his debut feature film "The Return", proves once again how much of an expert at his craft he is, in fact, I find "Elena" to be his visual masterpiece, and how can I not when every single scene feels meticulously calculated. The lingering shots of quietude have an increased level of substance once there is not only purpose behind them but also beauty. If you haven't guessed already, I was pretty blown away by how phenomenal the film looked!

As for the story, I wouldn't necessarily call it complicated, on the contrary, it is very simple and easy to follow, but there is definite depth and layers under its surface. Elena lives in a luxurious apartment with her luxuriant spouse Vladimir, they lead routine urban bourgeois lives, which is the complete opposite of the life lived by Elena's son and his struggling family. Our main character is found caught in the middle of two worlds, classes and men, and she fights to balance the two opposing and incompatible branches of her life.

It seems like the vast majority of Russian films, from what I've seen at least, love to depict this inescapable contrast between the divided classes of Russia's modern society, and this theme also appears in Zvyagintsev's 2014 film "Leviathan". The director showcases this subject in a blunt, truthful and almost objective manner that refrains from sugar coating the reality, every character that appears on screen including the one we follow is heavily flawed, and they all contribute to a never ending cycle of corruption. On the other hand, we have Elena's innocent and oblivious newborn grandson, who is unaware of the ugliness committed around him, he may be an indication of possible hope for the next generation, or just another apple that will most likely not fall far from the tree, and grow to be a typical member who'll learn nothing but contribution to the depravity.

"Elena", is certainly a character study, not necessarily of the main character, but more so of society and how low it is willing to go and act, just for its own selfish benefits, this is all perfectly put together and portrayed with a fantastic accompanying score by Philip Glass, the music is scattered sparingly while also hitting the perfect amount. My issues with the film are just three minor nitpicks that would seem unfair if mentioned. This happens to be my favourite entry by Zvyagintsev, who is not only currently one of my favourite modern directors, but also seems to be a promising master who's name will be stamped on cinema's history.

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Play (Ruben Östlund, 2011)

Swedish socio-drama that doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as it should

Zoolander 2 (2016)

My wife picked this one out as she liked the first. She didn't even know there was a sequel until a couple weeks ago when we saw some previews before another movie. It is completely idiotic, but I was amused and laughed throughout. I liked all the cameos too.

A Letter to Three Wives (1949)

Three married women from an average city set out on a day trip with some underprivileged children. As they're boarding the boat, a courier brings them a letter from a 4th friend. The letter says that she is leaving town with one of their husbands, but she doesn't say which one. I thought this was a brilliant set-up that brought mystery and a cliffhanger without the usual crime. With the three woman away from home for the day, they each look back at their marriage and the issues that it has, and they wonder if it's them that will be without a husband when they get home. This is a great cautionary tale for women; treat your men right! This is from the same director as All About Eve, and I liked this just as much. I don't quite feel an intense passion for the movie after my first viewing, but it was outstanding and I think it would grow if I watched it again.

Alien: Covenant --

A fairly decent continuation from Prometheus, IMHO getting back to the roots of the Alien franchise. Nothing spectacular here, just a crew that encounters more xenomorphs and gets chewed up. No spoilers, but you figure out pretty quickly how the show will end, and who will survive.

What's missing for me was the horror of the first two films. With this, yeah, lots of blood and violence, but not that impending sense of doom and fear from the crew members -- it failed to bring me into their world.

Overall, a fun flick, no regrets.
Missing in action are Jerry Goldsmith and/or James Horner. I wasn't impressed at all with Prometheus so I can only imagine this continuation is also less than impressive. I believe your review.

More like a spring roll,

that **** jumped right in my face yo
My first thought was a soft mushroom...and only now, as a full grown adult, am I wondering, "well, if they were getting frisky, why was it soft?", that disturbs me. Deeply. I'm sorry. Horrible...

My first thought was a soft mushroom...and only now, as a full grown adult, am I wondering, "well, if they were getting frisky, why was it soft?", that disturbs me. Deeply. I'm sorry. Horrible...
I see the mushroom. I'll try to unsee it though. I like mushroom.

Anyways,I did actually know the twist beforehand. But the movie was really good still. That's how you do twists right. You mustn't rely on it. It's a bonus, that extra edge, not your entire fundament...

I see the mushroom. I'll try to unsee it though. I like mushroom.

Anyways,I did actually know the twist beforehand. But the movie was really good still. That's how you do twists right. You mustn't rely on it. It's a bonus, that extra edge, not your entire fundament...
I agree, although I'm not sure I can 100% get on board with a noodling spring rolled mushyroom being a bonus, but I know what you mean.

I agree, although I'm not sure I can 100% get on board with a noodling spring rolled mushyroom being a bonus, but I know what you mean.
Oh ****... cant come back from that one...

TokeZa, as soon as I saw that pic from Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees, I instantly knew that was Tomisaburô Wakayama carrying the woman on his back. Upon many an occasion he'd carried his son on his back in the Lone Wolf and Cub series of movies, which are some of my favorite flicks. Strangely enough, even though I loved him in those movies, I never followed his career in anything else. So I went to the IMDB and was surprised that he was in Black Rain (1989), the Michael Douglas movie, which I loved. I may have to revisit that movie soon to catch him in it, but thanks for posting that picture from the movie you reviewed so I would know he's in it.