Total Recall 1990 question

Tools    

I have watched this movie many times but I have just recently wondered, is Douglas Quaid/Hauser actually good or bad. Was the video that Quaid and Melina set up by Quaid to trick Cohaagan or is it Hauser just being Hauser and trying to mess with his own mind?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's the point of the movie - which is it? There are contradicting clues. What do you think?

That's the point of the movie - which is it? There are contradicting clues.
Well thats what I assumed originally but why does he choose to be good in the end... does all movies have to have a happy ending?

What I took from the basic story was that Hauser was in league with the bad guys and infiltrated the good guys to kill Kuato.

His mind was erased and he was turned into Douglas Quaid and was set up with a fake marriage.
When he went to Rekall... it jogged his memory and the bad guys had to then kill him because of the secrets he would reveal. He then goes on that big adventure.

If you notice, he's paid for the dream and lays down in the machine, the next thing is he's a split personality babbling about not being Quaid and talking about Mars.
This scene where he flips out and Rekall have to stick him in the taxi and erase all their records that he's been there and refund his money, is the very very beginning of the Secret Agent dream he paid for.

Or is it?
This is the big question I took from the film... was he really a secret agent and his trip to Rekall really did jog his old erased memories and what we're watching actually isn't a dream?

Is he really Quaid or Hauser? Is he really living his own life or a dream from Rekall?
Are you really mark f or Mark? Are you living your own life or a dream from the internet?

I just rewatched this movie.

Have to say that it's far more enjoyable than the 2012 remake, which retained many of the twists, including the tri-mammary hooker, but not the humor. In that respect, the 2012 version is like a gutted fish out of water, gasping for oxygen.