Television Tab

Tools    

Started watching Mr. Mayor. The promos seemed funny and it stars Ted Danson so you'd think this is clearly a winner, right? Surely a good time to be had, yeah? No. 3 episodes in and it's pretty terrible.

Started watching Mr. Mayor. The promos seemed funny and it stars Ted Danson so you'd think this is clearly a winner, right? Surely a good time to be had, yeah? No. 3 episodes in and it's pretty terrible.
i never watched it but loved ted danson on CSI, he did a great job on it on few seasons of it, i started to rewatched 9-1-1 again when the season 4 premiered last week.

4 seasons that ended in 2011, I think, on British tv.

Billie Piper is a very good actress and she gave it her all to put it mildly.

First 2 seasons were pretty good. Season 3 was unwatchable & I survived season 4.

I would say rather a tacky cheap-looking show compared to modern tv. Hair & makeup left much to be desired.

The sex scenes were boring as heck & some were very cringeworthy.

“I was cured, all right!”

One step back!
The last four episodes were great, but the first 8 episodes were ... just ok ...
Some of the new characters, like ZIG, oh man, I just wanted that guy to disappear. Boring character.

Starting this weekend:

One step back!
The last four episodes were great, but the first 8 episodes were ... just ok ...
Some of the new characters, like ZIG, oh man, I just wanted that guy to disappear. Boring character.
Interesting how tastes differ. IMO, season 2 is brilliant. My fave of all the seasons.

James Ransone was so good as Ziggy. He was boring?! I loved his arc.

I always considered Greg Davies as the best storyteller on TV. That is until I discovered Bob Mortimer and 'Why would I Lie to You'. This is frankly brilliant.

Interesting how tastes differ. IMO, season 2 is brilliant. My fave of all the seasons.

James Ransone was so good as Ziggy. He was boring?! I loved his arc.

I also loved his character. Maybe because I knew a friend who was like Ziggy.

And I too don't get the hate towards season 2. It's really good (my favorite is the 4th). But season 2 allows the character of Stringer Bell to quietly develop in the background. And the story about the docks was brilliant.

And the story about the docks was brilliant.
It totally was. I related to those guys more than anyone else in the series. So frickin sad when he was walking to his death at the end. Dark powerful stuff.

It totally was. I related to those guys more than anyone else in the series. So frickin sad when he was walking to his death at the end. Dark powerful stuff.
That scene was great. The way the Greek just says, "Your way won't work" and
WARNING: "Season2" spoilers below
Frank
walks during the fade out. Awesome. The anime / manga Death Note has a scene like that, but not that powerful, I think they got they inspiration here.

I couldn't relate to Ziggy, he was off. Every time he was on the screen I was wandering when someone is going to put a bullet in his head. He's that kind of character "calm like a bomb", we know that there is only one possible ending for characters like this.

After season 3, everything about the docks looks even more like a filler.

------

Hell of a season!
So many small scenes that were great moments. Like THAT scene with String in episode 11.
WARNING: "Season3" spoilers below

Stringer's death was so shocking. Couldn't believe!
-The amount of small moments that I loved...
The way String and Avon embrace each other, as if were goodbye, not knowing that the two will act against each other that same night.
McNulty having dinner with the politician and his realisation that shes using him. Loved how he just throw the key on the table when he reached, and without drink or saying anything about his realisation, he just walk away.
Bubbles and Colvin on the last scene.
The list goes on...

I just can't wait for season 4. Saturday

I couldn't relate to Ziggy, he was off. Every time he was on the screen I was wandering when someone is going to put a bullet in his head. He's that kind of character "calm like a bomb", we know that there is only one possible ending for characters like this.
The inference was that his mother was on drugs or drink & that Ziggy was a disappointment to his dad so I cut him a lot of slack. So frickin sad in his final scene since we know the guys in the jail are gonna beat the crap out of him & there’s nothing his dad can do to help him.

The scene with the duck in the bar was hilarious! And when he put the screenshot of his d**k on the other guy’s computer. “Hey Ziggy, get your d**k out of my computer!”

Stringer's death was so shocking. Couldn't believe!
-The amount of small moments that I loved...
The way String and Avon embrace each other, as if were goodbye, not knowing that the two will act against each other that same night.
Avon knew that Stringer would have to go. All women, including moi, were devastated when Idris was out of the show.

McNulty having dinner with the politician and his realisation that shes using him. Loved how he just throw the key on the table when he reached, and without drink or saying anything about his realisation, he just walk away.
Even a better scene to me was when Stringer finally realized he was being played by numerous people. Avon saw it from the start, but Stringer came to it too late. He could recognize a fellow gangsta, but he didn’t realize politicians, bankers, realtors can also be crooks.

The truth is in here
@Citizen Rules

Laverne & Shirley - The Mummy's Bride

Shirley arrives home to ecstatically tell Laverne some news: She's getting married. Laverne is initially happy for her, but starts to worry about ending up alone after getting taunted. And how will Carmine react once he finds out about the marriage?

Let's get the negatives out of the way: It's difficult to buy into this relationship at first. Not because I don't believe Shirley wouldn't eventually fall in love with and marry a doctor, but the fact that this is someone who we've never even met nor heard of before creates a level of confusion.

And if you thought that was much, Carmine met someone and is in a serious relationship as well. I think they missed an opportunity at an interesting conflict by only having Shirley finding someone new while Carmine still has feelings for her. It feels a bit forced, like they want to avoid the whole thing feeling too depressing.

Lastly, if Walter is getting shipped off to sea and Shirley stays with Laverne for a year more until he's back, how will they explain her leaving earlier than that?

But thankfully, the weaknesses in the story are overcome by the laughs. Maybe it's because this is one of her last showings, but I continue to be impressed by Cindy Williams' gift of making every little gesture and line reading funny. Her sudden shock and disgust at Carmine finding someone new even though she was just telling him remorsefully she's getting married is a stitch. Not to mention her sudden mood shift shortly after when she says she's happy for him. I'm gonna miss the dynamic between them almost as much as her banter with Laverne.

Frank serves a good role as well, being so enthusiastic about Shirley's marriage like she was his second daughter. The part where he starts to cry just before the ceremony is some hilarious physical acting from Phil Foster.

Lenny and Squiggy (who sadly say goodbye to Shirl even earlier than Laverne) get a lot of great scenes. It's both surprising and kinda sweet that they are genuinely happy for her sake instead of getting jealous and upset. Though Squiggy is still somewhat suspicious about her new partner, which is just what you'd expect from him. The remarks they make about Laverne though somewhat cruel are still funny, such as Squiggy's nonsensical joke that he's gonna be riding on a dinosaur 100 years from now.

The wedding itself is perfectly absurd. Walter got into an accident and broke every bone in his body, so he's all wrapped up in bandages. Essentially, Shirley's marrying the mummy. The priest (played by character actor Richard Stahl) has a very memorable line:

"You may now kiss the bride... if you're able.

Squiggy compares the husband to The Mummy's Bride and starts making ghostly noises, which scares Lenny. Eventually he goes so overboard he frantically runs out of the room. Gotta love the silly games they have with each other.

Most importantly, what makes this episode work is the friendship and respect Laverne and Shirley show towards each other. This has been evident from the start, but is extra important to be reminded of towards the end. When they hug and wish each other luck in life, it feels so painfully real and sad. This is pretty much the end of an era. It's not gonna feel the same when I'll have to watch Laverne living all on her own.

8.6/10, rounded up to

@Citizen Rules

Laverne & Shirley - The Mummy's Bride

Most importantly, what makes this episode work is the friendship and respect Laverne and Shirley show towards each other. This has been evident from the start, but is extra important to be reminded of towards the end. When they hug and wish each other luck in life, it feels so painfully real and sad. This is pretty much the end of an era. It's not gonna feel the same when I'll have to watch Laverne living all on her own.
Reading your review and especially the above passage made me feel a bit teary eyed. It's been 7 years since I last watched Laverne & Shirley, I can't believe how time flys. It seems like only yesterday I was the one watching The Mummy's Bride and getting ready to say goodbye to the charming Cindy Williams.

I'm glad you tagged me and it's good to hear that you're still watching and loving Laverne & Shirley. One of these days I'll revisit my old friends via the magic of DVDs.

The truth is in here
To hear that one of my reviews made someone teary-eyed is one of the best compliments I've ever received. Thank you! I always love reading your input

What are your thoughts on season 8 as a whole? Besides the final Shirley episode I'm not looking forward to watching it that much. Not only does she disappear from the show, but even Lenny is barely in it since he worked on This Is Spinal Tap at the same time. I honestly worry it's gonna turn into a depressing experience.

The truth is in here
@Citizen Rules To hear that one of my reviews made someone teary-eyed is one of the best compliments I've ever received. Thank you! I always love reading your input

What are your thoughts on season 8 as a whole? Besides the final Shirley episode I'm not looking forward to watching it that much. Not only does she disappear from the show, but even Lenny is barely in it since he worked on This Is Spinal Tap at the same time. I honestly worry it's gonna turn into a depressing experience.

@Citizen Rules To hear that one of my reviews made someone teary-eyed is one of the best compliments I've ever received. Thank you! I always love reading your input

The 8th season of Laverne & Shirley is the weakest of the show's run IMO. There's not that many great episodes in the 8th, but there are some and Penny Marshall and the cast still do a great job...So yeah the 8th season is still worth watching.

Finally started watching Glow. Had this in my queue for the longest time. I'm 7 episodes in and I am loving every minute of it. The way they manged to make it feel as if I'm actually watching a show from the 80's, to the writing, the characters, the humor, it's all first-rate. There's a level of rawness to the show that you really don't see much these days and it makes me feel really nostalgic and kind of sad. Also, it's making me want to start watching wrestling again.

Ha. I really liked Glow too. Still hoping for one more season someday!

Finally started watching Glow. Had this in my queue for the longest time. I'm 7 episodes in and I am loving every minute of it. The way they manged to make it feel as if I'm actually watching a show from the 80's, to the writing, the characters, the humor, it's all first-rate. There's a level of rawness to the show that you really don't see much these days and it makes me feel really nostalgic and kind of sad. Also, it's making me want to start watching wrestling again.
Maybe I should take a look at this show. I have less than zero interest in wrestling, but I just saw Gilpin in The Hunt & she was terrific.

Next time I start streaming Netflix again, I will take a look at it.

The Wire goes beyond police work and gangstar doing their usual stupid things and starts to show more about the system (and its failures).
The first episodes were hard to watch for me: Where's McNulty? Where's Daniels? Where's Buck? What about Lester? I just want to see them dong police stuff. That's what got me hooked, anyway - but I realized that this series is about Baltimore too, and I appreciate how it can criticize politics, without taking any sides. Good old times...

McNulty changed and I loved his transition.
WARNING: "S04" spoilers below
Omar should be dead at this point - the fact he is alive, it's just... off... Not realistic for a overall realistic series.

I realized that this series is about Baltimore too
Heck, yes, that’s what made it so real. Especially in season 2. And especially if one has never been to Baltimore like me.