Next Countdown: decade, or something else?

Tools    

What kind of countdown should we do next?
48.28%
28 votes
Decades List (2000s, 2010s)
51.72%
30 votes
Anything Else (Comedies, Noir, Foreign, etc.)
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Action
Comedy
Foreign Language
Musical
Noir
War
I think that's all we need really, @Yoda - take some notes I think you got your answers on what the poll options will be

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

honestly it’d be a really tough choice between foreign, noir, and comedy. action or war definitely sounds better than sequels. like we should finish genres before second order stuff

We already did an unofficial Action countdown and doing another would seem like a repeat. I think we should do the main important countdowns before we start doing repeats.

A system of cells interlinked
Noir!

I'd like to see Foreign split between a general foreign and region based. A general list is going to be very predictable, and we just did a very predictable countdown.

Comedy
Foreign (General)
Foreign (French)
Foreign (Japanese)
Musical
Noir
Thriller

I don't agree with the claim that the previous list was predictable, both in that it had several genuinely surprising inclusions and that there were several surprising placements.

The only way to have a really surprising list is to have very few people participate, since the people being "surprised" are literally the people here, voting, and aware of what everyone likes. Expecting a higher level of surprise than we got seems incompatible with the very nature of the voting.

Anyway, I don't think one Foreign list would be a problem, and in fact splitting it into more than one would probably just have the effect of splitting the vote and ensuring none of them win.

Anyway, seems like the consensus so far is:

Action
Comedy
Foreign Language
Musical
Noir
War
Gonna give you guys the rest of the day to confirm/dispute this, I suppose, but barring any huge changes I'd like to post the poll, perhaps with the above options, tomorrow.

Welcome to the human race...
I have to wonder exactly how many region/language-specific countdowns you could put together, though, and whether or not it would be fair to give up once you got the major ones out of the way (e.g. French, Japanese, Italian) - where exactly do you draw the line in determining which languages are "important" enough to warrant their own lists? I assume it's going to be put up to a vote, but you could readily predict it going to East Asia and Western Europe a bunch of times and then fizzling out. At least region makes more sense since there's only a handful of continents to go through.

Yeah, if you had to do it region makes the most sense, for sure. But we have to be realistic, too. Foreign will already be a more challenging list to get submissions for, and if you split the vote among regions (let alone countries!) the more likely result is you just never allow it to win in the first place.

As always, I need to emphasize that these lists are never going to be Platonic ideals, they're always trade offs between the fairest incarnation and the one that can happen in reality and be engaging for the most people. If the topic were just chosen and not polled on, and the participation were fixed, we'd pick different things.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, maybe see how a general foreign list does in terms of vote quantity before trying to spin it off into any sub-lists.

I have to wonder exactly how many region/language-specific countdowns you could put together, though, and whether or not it would be fair to give up once you got the major ones out of the way (e.g. French, Japanese, Italian) - where exactly do you draw the line in determining which languages are "important" enough to warrant their own lists? I assume it's going to be put up to a vote, but you could readily predict it going to East Asia and Western Europe a bunch of times and then fizzling out. At least region makes more sense since there's only a handful of continents to go through.
Top 100
France
Japan
Italy
Germany
South Korea

Top 50
China (Hong Kong)
Mexico
Spain
India
Poland

I'd like to see Foreign split between a general foreign and region based...
Some form of your idea could work for a group of specific regions / film moments Foreign Language HoFs. Which would help us MoFos make a more diverse voting ballot.

Though for the countdown itself I agree with Yoda that splitting a countdown into sections would make for more work. But for a series of HoFs it's a good idea.

Doing it by regions would likely be less work because you are going to get thousands of entries which will be ultimately pointless because we know what the top 100 is roughly going to be.

And really do you want a list where you only get 1 Gallo film, 1 studio Ghibli film, 2 or 3 French new wave ones.

Doing it by regions would likely be less work because you are going to get thousands of entries which will be ultimately pointless because we know what the top 100 is roughly going to be.
Since I'm almost definitely building a ballot submission tool for future lists, this doesn't really apply. Also, I think by "more work" he means having to run a number of lists as opposed to one, which is a valid point. Not that the work is a major impediment either way, if the idea is otherwise viable/good.

And really do you want a list where you only get 1 Gallo film, 1 studio Ghibli film, 2 or 3 French new wave ones.
Compared to what? A poll with five foreign options that split the vote? The result of that is probably zero of those, because the list never happens in the first place.

I really do want to hear all the feedback here, but I'm trying to explain some stuff about the feasibility of this process and I think some of it's getting talk past a bit. People can express any desire they want, but if it's to be taken seriously it needs to take these concerns on board, rather than just express what our respective perfect taxonomies would look like.