The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Andrei Rublev is a film I would consider to be a masterpiece. It's probably the least accessible of all the Tarkovsky film's I've seen, largely due to its length, so I'm pretty surprised to see it quite high up this list.
Funny, I saw it recently and thought it was one of his more easily accessible films, despite it's length. I think I was expecting something more in the slow cinema realm like, say, Stalker, but it was instead fairly normally paced, at least by comparison. A wonderful film though.

Knew I had it somewhere... Pan's Labyrinth is one of the handful of 101% movies in my reviews...

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...821#post999821

Ok... on a '5' at the mo so may as well make it a special one... and use my new stamps too...
Review #205, Movie #275
Pan's Labyrinth
El Laberinto Del Fauno

Year Of Release

Director
Guillermo Del Toro

Producer
Guillermo Del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron, Bertha Navarro, Frida Torresblanco, Alvaro Augustin

Writer
Guillermo Del Toro

Cast
Ivana Baquero, Sergi Lopez, Maribel Verdu, Ariadna Gil, Alex Angulo and Doug Jones with Pablo Adan as Narrator

Notes
Del Toro was inspired my many fairy tales for Pan's Labyrinth... he has even been quoted as saying this was "his Narnia", and with good reason too; Del Toro actually turned down the opportunity to direct The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe to make Pan's Labyrinth and the result is something far more special than the butchery that was TLTWATW.
Most of the ideas, creatures and visuals in the film were also comprised from simple doodles Del Toro had made on scraps of paper... to add to that, CGI used to make his vision come to life was incorporated into the film sparingly too, and most of the effects and wonderful visuals were actually immensely complex sets, animatronics and makeup design.

---
Ofelia, a little girl living in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War (and with the rest of the world enthralled in WWII), has been moved with her heavily pregnant Mother to live with her Mother's new husband the Falangist Captain Vidal.
Vidal is a particularly brutal man with little remorse or emotion (other than anger) who is hunting the remnants of the Spanish Maquis and Ofelia and her Mother, along with their Maid/Helper live in constant fear of doing the wrong thing by Vidal.
But being an adventurous girl, Ofelia wanders into the nearby woodland and discovers a Faun...

... and the Faun tells Ofelia that she is the reincarnation of a Princess called Moanna... and she must accomplish a number of tasks so that she can re-join her people in a magical land and rule with her long dead Father.
---
Simply.
Breath-taking.

Del Toro's creation is an absolute marvel to watch. He's incorporated some of the most special pieces of almost every Fairy Tale going and updated to whole lot into what I can only describe as a modern classic.

The very essence of Labyrinth is a real treat for anyone who has grown up with fantasy films. The filmmakers have made a genuinely hard hitting, heart-wrenchingly touching, heart-poundingly exciting and visually stunning movie for adults that delivers on every front.

What makes the movie stand apart is the sheer detail that Del Toro has put into the film. The look of the world, whether it be at the small town that Ofelia and her family are occupying, the wooded area she frequents or even the more fantastical places she visits on the adventures the Faun sends her; the eye for detail is simply immense.

Not just highly realised when it comes to originality, it's also highly recognisable in the fact that a lot of it is based around Fairy Tales and Fantasy of old and it gives a much more believable edge over other Fantasy features.

The story too is incredibly simple. Yet, so simple it gives yet more of an edge over other films of this type.
Little girl, reincarnated Princess, has to do tasks. That's it.
But then they overlay all of this with Ofelia's family and friends and then create a genuinely frightening antagonist in her Step-Father and back that up with the backdrop of a war.

What you're watching here is 3 films intertwined and written so brilliantly that it's easy to follow... and enjoy the whole lot at the same time.
Another thing that's special is that the audience never knows whether Ophelia's adventures really happened or if they're just her imagination. It's very cleverly put together in the screenplay.

The acting is also incredible.
Ivana Baquero as Ofelia is wonderfully out of her depth in the circumstances. Whether in the presence of her Step-Father, witnessing the war or in the middle of her adventures, she has an brilliant innocence about her that just draws the viewer in to loving her portrayal of the character and her strengths too.

Sergi Lopez is also on top form as Captain Vidal. His quiet unassuming persona makes for a genuinely disturbing character and when the going gets tough, his meaner side really shows through nicely.

Maribel Verdu as the Maid, Ariadna Gil as Ofelia's pregnant Mother and Alex Angulo as Doctor Ferreiro are more side characters but they have their own part to play within the "real world setting" amongst the war and fear of Captain Vidal.

The standout role though comes from Doug Jones in two roles... as the Faun, and also as the evil Pale Man.
Jones is barely seen under his makeup and prosthetics but his acting and, what is basically a mime act in both roles, are possibly the finest pieces of physical acting I've yet to see in a film.

There's little to no action exactly. More based around the puppetry and occasional CG that backs up the events around Ofelia.
But the sheer atmosphere of every set and set piece makes for highly entertaining viewing.
When the little hits of "action" do occur though, they're well pieced together in choreography and style and add more to the story as they're there for a reason, rather than just action for the sake of it.
The film is really more about story, atmosphere and character than just explosions and war.
One thing I will say though, is that the film doesn't shy away from gore and guts. Always a good thing especially when used to enhance the scene.
---
All in all, a modern classic and I can almost guarantee will reach ranks of actual Classic not far from now.
Incredible storytelling, visually beautiful and "engaging" just doesn't sum up the character writing at all.
One of the best I've seen.

My rating: 101%

I thought that was one of the strongest points tbh.
If you watch as the movie progresses, the Faun actually changes.

Also, the legs weren't CGI...
Each to their own, I wasn't impressed with that particular aspect. Also, just FYI, 'rendition' doesn't simply refer to CGI rendering so no idea why you went with the .

Pan's Labyrinth is a fine film. I think it is probably Del Toro's best and definitely the one I liked most by him. Like Mann, he's a singular voice in modern movies, an accomplished filmmaker, but even though he should be right up my alley I can't say I've straight out loved any of his films. I did get to see him introduce the film Aracano Incantatore once, and he's got a marvellously cinema obsessed mind, and is fascinating to watch just talk about film. Pans Labyrinth was something that should have been injected directly into my veins, but was somehow only something I thought was very good.

Andrei Rublev is in a handful of maybe three or four films I view as being at the Mt Olympus of movie perfection. The prologue is one of my favorite things in any movie ever, and the actual film can be described as a weightless dirge through the act of creation, which is seen as both a miserable and divine act. It's take on articulating the creative mind to its audience is the only fictional film that I would put alongside the greatest documentaries about the nature of art (Exit Through the Gift Shop, F is For Fake, Crumb, Tim's Vermeer and Mystery of Picasso). If you watch those five along with Rublev, you will know everything you need to know about the bull**** and beauty of the artworld. You will be a God. Unfortunately, I deliberately left it off my own list because I preferred to put a bunch of other dumb things on instead. No Tarkovsky made it, even though three or four of his films I rank as easily the best I've ever seen.
I've given you +rep for this post because I agree with most of what you've said, but cool to see someone else who has seen Mystery of Picasso. I watched it either earlier this year or last year when I was on a Clouzot spree. A great film.

I've given you +rep for this post because I agree with most of what you've said, but cool to see someone else who has seen Mystery of Picasso. I watched it either earlier this year or last year when I was on a Clouzot spree. A great film.
Any film that find a way to map the thought process of Pablo Picasso, revealing him to be as much a daredevil and trickster as he is a genius, is essential stuff. I watched it compulsively for a few days years ago and the experience never left me. I always like how I've read some people say Clouzot, a master of suspense, was perfect for such a movie like this because we end up hanging on every brushstrock committed to the screen. We root for certain artisitc flights of fancy he takes off on, groan at the occassional stumble, and mourn when decides to just scribble out everything we just watched him labor over for long stretches.

The other four docs are also just as important, but all in very different ways of how they expose and illuminate the artists life

Pan's Labyrinth is a fine film. I think it is probably Del Toro's best and definitely the one I liked most by him. Like Mann, he's a singular voice in modern movies, an accomplished filmmaker, but even though he should be right up my alley I can't say I've straight out loved any of his films. I did get to see him introduce the film Aracano Incantatore once, and he's got a marvellously cinema obsessed mind, and is fascinating to watch just talk about film. Pans Labyrinth was something that should have been injected directly into my veins, but was somehow only something I thought was very good.

Andrei Rublev is in a handful of maybe three or four films I view as being at the Mt Olympus of movie perfection. The prologue is one of my favorite things in any movie ever, and the actual film can be described as a weightless dirge through the act of creation, which is seen as both a miserable and divine act. It's take on articulating the creative mind to its audience is the only fictional film that I would put alongside the greatest documentaries about the nature of art (Exit Through the Gift Shop, F is For Fake, Crumb, Tim's Vermeer and Mystery of Picasso). If you watch those five along with Rublev, you will know everything you need to know about the bull**** and beauty of the artworld. You will be a God. Unfortunately, I deliberately left it off my own list because I preferred to put a bunch of other dumb things on instead. No Tarkovsky made it, even though three or four of his films I rank as easily the best I've ever seen.
This is close enough to my own views on these two movies that I'll just generally endorse it, down to the fact that even though I consider Andrei Rublev one of the finest achievements in film, it didn't make my own list (though I did include one Tarkovsky, which I wonder now if it will appear).

As for others on the list since my last comment, A Woman Under the Influence and Heat are two more I have yet to see, American History X I have only the vaguest recollection of (my rating tells me I thought it was... fine), and T2 is a decent action movie but I'm a much bigger fan of the better, rawer original.

Pan’s Labyrinth is very good even if it didn’t quite live up to all the hype for me.

I think I saw Rublev? I know I’ve seen Stalker and Solaris.

I remember having some issues with Pan's Labyrinth, but I'll need to revisit it to remember what they were as it's been too long since I last watched it.

As for Andrei Rublev, on the other hand, it's a masterpiece and the first film on my list to make it on here (I had it at #12). As for my thoughts on it, I'll just link the analysis I wrote on the film:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=59941

There are a couple parts to it which I'd like to change near the end of it, but overall, I think it's a pretty substantial analysis of its main themes.

Currently seen: 25/36 (26/37 if you count the honorable mention)

My list:

12. Andrei Rublev: #67

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two artistic films I didn't vote for here but worthy.

Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth begs the question "How does one differentiate between a fairy tale and a historical tragedy?" Are fairy tales just tragic historical stories which have been passed down through the ages to serve as warnings/object lessons for the young? Or do historical tragedies just lend themselves to becoming "fairy tales"? This film has fairies, history and tragedy, yet it's also uplifting, depending on your perspective and what you believe to be real. I think one of the great things about this film is your interpretation of whether you believe that evil can actually accomplish a good thing or if a child's innocence can see true evil and still interpret it as something which can be overcome, even through tragedy.

Set during the Spanish Civil War, the film tells the story of a terrifically scary and violent Captain (Sergi López) who brings his pregnant wife (Ariadna Gil) and stepdaughter Ofelia (the beguiling Ivana Barquero) to his remote war compound where he and his men try to quash the nearby rebels. One of the Captain's servants, Maribel (Maribel Verdú) becomes a surrogate mother to Ofelia as her real mother approaches childbi

Ofelia loves to read and is even reading a fairy tale at the beginning of the film which seems to tell and foretell her own life's story. Actually, this scene occurs just after the actual beginning of the film, which, coincidentally, is also the ending of the movie. Afterwards, Ofelia immediately becomes involved with fairies, a mystical faun, a labyrinth, and a series of quests she must accomplish to be able to reunite with her King and Queen parents and take her rightful place as a Princess loved by all.

The girl's inner life (or is it?) is contrasted with the Captain's world where torture, violence and oppression rule. I may be making this film sound deadly serious and oppressive, but actually it's full of life. The cinematography and editing are VERY alive and place you right in the middle of the story. I can appreciate the Wow! logistics and results of the photography of the wonderful Children of Men the same year, but even though it cost me a point in my annual Oscar voting contest, the cinematography of Pan's Labyrinth seems borderline 3-D and is truly spectacular, especially seen on a BIG screen.

Ultimately, it's up to each viewer to decide whether this film is realistic, a fairy tale, or a combination. It's also up to you to decide if the ending is sad or happy. Additionally, you have to decide if this film comments truthfully on the subject of the Spanish Civil War or does it actually "whitewash" it in the name of a kid's movie. I'm not really sure how anyone could watch this violent film and think it's a kid's movie, but, as I say, the film is open to interpretation. I interpret it to be an enthralling work of art, both heartbreaking and life-affirming.

To me, Andrei Rublev is Tarkovsky's masterpiece, but I realize that some members believe that the man can do no wrong. To me, that seems really weird. Tarkovsky went out of his way to make films which people could not understand on any basic level. If I could somehow magically understand everything which an artist goes out of his way to make sure that I cannot understand on first appearance, then I would have to think that I was some sort of Idiot Savant. Tarkovsky wants people to understand but I'd say it's impossible to understand most of his flicks without repetitive viewings and discussions with similar viewers. This film is about an artist who makes no art whatsoever during the film. It's also about a monk/iconographer who believes in beauty but is completely surrounded by ugliness, pain and death. Obviously, the film is full of contradictions and bizarre, unique visuals and characters. I watched the restored version. The claim was that the Criterion version added 20 minutes to make it go from 165 minutes to 185 minutes. I'll admit that the first time I watched this, long ago, it was 165 minutes, and this version included much more spiritual material, but it was NOT 185 minutes. It was actually about 198 minutes, and of course, the highlight of the film was the conclusion where the B&W film turned to color, and while some intense 2001-type soundtrack was playing, we can see the actual icons which Rublev painted. I easily found this the most moving Tarko, but it's also incredibly repulsive in the way it shows how far Man truly is from God.

Welcome to the human race...
Pan's Labyrinth is pretty good and I won't argue its status as the best GDT, but I never considered voting for it. I haven't seen Andrei Rublev in ages but I remember it being spectacular. Have been meaning to go through every Tarkovsky film so I think I'll give it another shot.

Andrei Rublev, I'm not interested in watching it due to real animal torture that was done and shown in the film.
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
I liked it OK. It seemed like an odd mix of two genres and to be honest I liked the fairy tale aspect, but didn't care for the one dimensional fascist captain story line.

I'm not sure why a fairy tale in the style of Harry Potter, was combined with R rated violence. To me both styles got in the way of each other...An R rated, serious look at fascist Spain during WWII and the resistance fighters that they pursued, would've made for a good serious film.

OR, the fairy tale story with the little girl and the underground secret kingdom would have been cool if done by itself. But the two stories got in the way of each other. I didn't buy the fascist Captain story as it was so cliched and predictable that I was bored with that. But I did really like the story and adventures of the girl. I thought that was all well done. The journey into the dead fig tree with the giant toad, was pretty cool! I wanted more of that kind of stuff.

The trick is not minding
Loved Pans Labyrinth. Should one day rewatch it, as it’s been well over a decade. And I own it!

I knew a Tarkovsky film would appear, given his stature as a director. Sad to say I have yet to watch any of his films, which is odd considering how small his filmography is. I had hoped for a few of his being picked for me during the personal recommendation HOF but none were.
Oh and 23/36 seen. 24/37 if counting the honorable mention.
Two of those films will be watched soon, however. One this week (Metropolis) and the other after the new year for the aforementioned Personal Recommendation (A Woman Under the Influence).

I think I admire and is fascinated by Pan's Labyrinth more than I outright love it. I feel like the concept and approach on paper is a lot more amazing than how I actually experience the movie. I've seen it at least twice and while it's solid I've always walked away from it hoping it would do more for me.

Andrei Rublev is Tarkovsky... and that man frustrates me like hell. I've seen a lot of his films now but I struggle more than with any other director. I'm intrigued though and I do my best to invest in the material but he sure doesn't make it easy. I liked Andrei Rublev more than I thought I would and it's probably one of the films of his I've gotten most out of. That and Stalker.

I have seen both films. I'm a big fan of del Toro's work and enjoyed Andrei Ruble but its been years since I saw it.

I think I admire and is fascinated by Pan's Labyrinth more than I outright love it. I feel like the concept and approach on paper is a lot more amazing than how I actually experience the movie. I've seen it at least twice and while it's solid I've always walked away from it hoping it would do more for me.
I'll second this. I really liked it, and was deeply impressed, but there's a weird distance there, too, as I have very little desire to see it again. But I saw it with a friend of mine and in many ways we couldn't be more different, and we both loved it, which I decided was to the film's immense credit.

I'll second this. I really liked it, and was deeply impressed, but there's a weird distance there, too, as I have very little desire to see it again. But I saw it with a friend of mine and in many ways we couldn't be more different, and we both loved it, which I decided was to the film's immense credit.

Actually what gets me was the villain. I really can't stand facism in politics, so I had some trouble watching it. Ironically, I write villains like that, too, so on the off chance a novel I write gets an adaptation, I'll even have a hard time watching that. In fact, he was one of the reasons why I wanted to see more of the fantasy world, that way I got less of him.