The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Have yet to see The Apartment, but based on its description, I'd think I'm likely to see this one sooner rather than later. I like Billy Wilder films. I like dramedies. I like Jack Lemmon.

Saw Private Ryan for the first time on a charter bus as we were leaving a group outing to Six Flags over Arlington. It hit me right in the heart from the opening beach invasion to the final reel. Compelling story, interesting characters keep you enthralled. Only a scene here and there kept me from placing it in my top 25.

Tomorrow's hint:

Parting Shot, hmm?

Based on the dictionary, it's a form of an insult that happens at the end of a conversation.
The name is loosely taken from Parthian shot which archers would fire bows at the enemy in retreat.

I'm going to guess:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

WARNING: "" spoilers below
Seems too soon for All About Eve

and 300

The Departed is too early also , Godfather part 2 don't need to be on this list when we know the first one will make it lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm not a fan of Dazed and Confused, but Hubby likes it. (However I doubt that it would have made his top 25 list if he had submitted one.)

To Kill a Mockingbird was #6 on my 1960s list, and it was one of the movies that immediately went on my potential list for this countdown. It stayed on my potential list all the way up until the day I submitted my list, but it was one of the last few cuts that I made from my list. I think the only reason that it didn't make my final list is because doesn't have as much rewatchability as the movies that made my final list. But I'm glad to see that it made the countdown, even though I think it should have been higher.
Does he actually hang out here? If so, I had no idea and would love to know who he is.
If not, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

The Departed is too early also
As a massive Scorsese fan The Departed is so low on the list of Marty's accomplishments, a middling and uninteresting genre effort from a great filmmaker, that I'm sad if it makes the list at all. But that is probably the correct answer to go with the hint. Unfortunately.

Oh, well.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In This Corner of the World was my 1 pointer which I selected in my top 25 as the last place because I knew nobody else would but I would rate it as the best-animated film of this century since Spirited Away (2001). Its a realistic drama movie set in Japan in WW2 focusing on the daily life of a housewife trying to survive through the war. It happens to be animated since it is based on the same visual style as the source manga. It accomplished the very rare feat of being placed 1st in Kinema Junpo's critics pool for the year it was released (only animated film to do so besides My Neighbor Totoro).
Paint me intrigued.
On the Watchlist it goes!
THANKS Guap!!

Boldly going.
Saving Private Ryan is my #22. It's my favourite war movie (strictly speaking - I have other favs which take place during WW2, but aren't war movies strictly speaking). The other scene which sticks out in my mind (that is, other than the one everyone has talked about,) is the German tank rumbling towards Private Ryan and you see the earth shaking and crumbling with the vibrations - talk about intensity! SPR takes on a lot of topics: courage, cowardice, honour, loyalty, mercy, etc.

I only had one Spielberg on my ballot and I don't think it's going to make the cut this time.
I've got one of his as well, and it may make the list between 70 and 40 IF it makes it.

Barbershop

. . . and

Slap Shot

Confidence level:

I'm torn between the idea of Slapshot making this permafrosted Canadian feel welcome, and it completely ruining the integrity of the list.

Ok, so... I've seen five Wilder films

Sunset Boulevard
Double Indemnity
The Apartment
Some Like It Hot
Sabrina

What other film of his should I prioritize? Ace in the Hole is the one I hear/read more of and the one that intrigues me most, but anything else? The Lost Weekend? The Seven Year Itch?
All three and whatever catches your eye if you look over his list of films, actually. And that should include where he has writing credit. For me, it's his writing that really shines - not to diminish his ability as an excellent director.
I'd also suggest Stalag 17 Which does hold the @Holden Pike Approval -- a seriously high honor in my eyes.

While I haven't seen The Lost Weekend, it is very much on my watchlist along with Irma la Douce where Lemon and McLain join up again in a Wilder film.

Have Seen:
Sunset Boulevard
Double Indemnity
The Apartment
Some Like It Hot
Sabrina
Ace in the Hole
The Seven Year Itch
The Major and the Minor
Witness for the Prosecution
One, Two, Three
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Yeah, even most of Wilder's "lesser" films are watchable. For me his last film and third and final pairing with Lemmon & Matthau, Buddy Buddy, is the only wholly inept effort. But his best films are usually some order of brilliance.

Not a big fan of Saving Private Ryan and I remember enjoying The Apartment but it’s been a while on both. It’s a film that I’ve seen a lot of scenes and analysis from since watching it that I’ve enjoyed too, I probably need to have a Wilder rewatch spree because I’m a big fan of his overall.

18/18 seen.