Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lady Gangster (1942) - Crime/prison b-movie that's fun enough for a watch.

The Lodger (1944) - Decent Jack the Ripper offering.

I was able to knock out three films I've been meaning to watch this weekend:

1.) The Phenix City Story (1955) -

You can read my (lengthy) thoughts on the movie on my Netflix thread

2.) The Racket (1928) -

It was a privilege to watch the The Racket. Thought to be lost to the ages shortly after its release, it was found 70 years later in Howard Hughes' private collection. TCM first aired the film in 2004, after its restoration, and has been playing it ever since. What blew me away is how this film was shot; excellent cinematography. There's a funeral scene where mob boss Nick Scarsi (Louis Wolheim) attends the funeral of a rival gangster. All of the other gangsters are sitting in their chairs with their hats on their laps, facing each other. Scarsi looks left, then right, the hats then disappear (I don't know the name of the film technique) as if Scarsi is seeing through them, and each man is holding a gun under his hat. Though, this funeral is small. It wouldn't be until Little Caesar (1931), where the gangster would have the large, lavish, parade type funerals.

The Racket works really well with Josef von Sternberg's Underworld (1927) in bridging the gap between silent and the first sound gangster film, Little Caesar.

3.) War on Everyone (2016) -

I'm mixed on John Michael McDonough’s War on Everyone. What’s great is that this movie has a black heart; it’s hilarious to see Alexander Skarsgård and Michael Peña being dicks to everyone (Peña being a complete ******* to his kids is great). Though funny, the story is all over the place. I do like the look of the film, though modern, a lot of the characters and cars look straight out of a 1970s action film.

Tiresomely boring. Benicio del Toro in a long black wig was the final straw for me.

The Girl with all the Gifts (2016)

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That was a pretty decent sci fi. I didn't like it as much as you but I was still glad to have watched it. I reviewed it too on my review thread here at MoFo

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...47#post1648247

LOL. Great review, CR. I havent seen this but absolutely love Emily. Your description of her is gold. Now on my list.

LOL. Great review, CR. I havent seen this but absolutely love Emily. Your description of her is gold. Now on my list.
I have another review plug too I seen Gideon just reviewed The Lady in the Van. I believe he seen that one on my review thread here when I reviewed it:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...78#post1559278

I'm like a commercial

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I have another review plug too I seen Gideon just reviewed The Lady in the Van. I believe he seen that one on my review thread here when I reviewed it:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...78#post1559278

I'm like a commercial
Both of you have great review styles. I might not always share the PoV but good reading, and I always like to get the other side.

Both of you have great review styles. I might not always share the PoV but good reading, and I always like to get the other side.
I forgot what I said in my review about Lady in the Van..but I need to go read my fellow reviewer Gideon's review. I've been meaning to do that but have been busy.

“I was cured, all right!”

Raw, violent, sick, very well acted and epic directed by Fukasaku!
This film was the pillar to The Yakuza Papers film series.

American action masterclass. One of the best of the 80's.

Sorry but I have to rate the episode 8 of Twin Peaks because it was one of the BEST THINGS that I EVER saw on TV!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Get A Job

(Dylan Kidd)

Getting a job right after college is hard, it's even harder to get one in your field of study. Despite this film's attempt at making it seem challenging, it comes off as pretty easy. Teller's frustration feels fake and the film makes it hard to find one single genuine character.

Miles Teller was an intern for months and was about to start his first day on the job being paid when he is surprisingly "let-go". Now he must go on the hunt to get a job and become a contributing member to society. Once he gets one, is he able to keep it? Or will his juvenile hi-jinks ruin it.

Here is a film that doesn't know what it wants to be. At one point it is happy to gross you our with a character drinking deer semen as a right of passage at his work, then vomiting it all over some co-workers, the next it wants to make a social commentary on millennials in the work force. The aforementioned gag is something you'd expect in an "American Pie" type teen comedy, but Get A Job doesn't seem to fit there. It wants to make a statement about the hardships of finding work and be a voice for a younger generation. It's an odd juggling act that fails to maintain both aspects. The comedy side is at best, smirk worthy, but you get a sense of Déjà vu when you realize you've seen these gags before in better films. I'm reminded of one scene where Teller has to give a urine sample to prove he is drug free, the scene seems lifted from Austin Powers and spray going everywhere. Funny, but done before and done better.

The characters are your cookie-cutter stereotype stoners all living in one house. Anna Kendrick is the generic girlfriend, given nothing to do, which is a shame and Bryan Cranston plays Teller's father, a man who loses his job and feels out of place with the youth of today. The film casually reminds us that there are other characters here in the story by jumping back to them every so often at their own jobs. The film feels disjointed in that aspect and as a whole is not funny, which is a crime for a so called comedy.

Suspect's Reviews

Gilda (1946) - Sexually charged relationship drama that doubles as a fine noir

The Salesman (2016)

-

This is from the same director who made A Seperation, a brilliant movie in my mind. I thought this movie was a step below, but again there seemed to be strong drama created in a very natural way. The way the husband acted throughout the movie bothered me a bit. His way of going about things infuriated me, and I'm not sure if that was the intention. I also feel unsure as to what exactly happened during the central event in the film, although that may be intentional. Still, excellent performances and a strong story made this a great watch.