Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

How Green Was My Valley (1941) - Very well made and enjoyable tale despite its lack of realism

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
VICE (2015)

A "Westworld"-type employee escapes.

What a hack job. Where do I start? Cast. First off, Bruce Willis, who basically has the capability to show a personality, offers up a dull, banausic performance. Why even bother? Lose a poker game Bruce?. Or maybe just succumbed to Leading Man syndrome, where the performance spectrum has been whittled down to near nothing. Whatever the reason, it was a major bait and switch showing his face on the poster. He phoned it in, and that's being generous.

Our greasy long-haired hero cop looks like Joe Perry who hasn't showered in a few weeks, clearly a 7-year-old's version of what a "cool dude" looks like. And he chews on matchsticks. A particularly douchey piece of business that's cheesy and overused and whatever possessed ya?

Kelly our female lead, is a very pretty little blonde sex machine. No, she is literally a sex machine. And she grows emotions, realizing she wants out of that place. She runs, endures some generic shootouts, yet always keeps her lips glossy and looks perty. Meanwhile our greasy Joe Perry cop chews on matchsticks and spouts horrible dialogue, which by the way is rampant throughout this bland, uninspired ripoff.

This garbage is the worst of what Hollywood comes up with. I'm double-bagging it cause it stinks that bad.

1/2 uninspired-shootouts-out-of 5

movies can be okay...
Fargo (1996) -
Oh Yeah....

I LOVED her ^^^
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Unregistered User
Trying to give a few more 40's flicks a run-out for the upcoming countdown:

That Brennan Girl (1946) - Nice enough but drags in places
The Upturned Glass (1947) - Decent but hurt by it's option for being code friendly
The Woman In The Window (1944) - Very solid but shame about the code friendly addendum
Young Widow (1946) - Takes far too long to settle imo

I really liked TWITW. I think I'm about the only one here who does! I do agreed with what you've said though.

I really liked TWITW. I think I'm about the only one here who does! I do agreed with what you've said though.
Don't get me wrong, it's still generally a very solid fillum aside from those last cpl of minutes and my (invisible) rating of it reflects that

13 Rue Madeleine (1946) - Moderate first half, comes alive in the second

House of Cards (Season 5): Stopped watching halfway through. Great characters, mess of a plot as usual.
Master of None (Season 2): Way better than the first season. The preachy topical stuff is way more organic.
Girls (Season 6): Terrible sendoff for one of my favorite hate watches. All conclusions are rushed. No satisfactory closure.

On a side note, I started Breaking Bad last night. I'm on the 4th episode now and totally hooked. I always thought nothing would come close for me, to The Soprano's but this could be the one.
So jealous of you right now .

Fargo (1996) -
Oh Yeah....

I LOVED her ^^^

She's simply amazing in everything she does. For those who like her and haven't seen "Olive Kitteridge" (4 part mini series) - I would strongly recommend it. Her and Richard Jenkins give some of the most amazing screen chemistry I've seen on tv and film in recent times.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3012698/

Angel On My Shoulder (1946) - Begins brightly but can't maintain the same level and drags too much

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Besetment (B+): Amanda is looking for a new job so she can eventually stop living with her alcoholic mother. She finds a job as the new coworker at a small town's motel. She soon discovers her new boss and boss' son have sinister things in mind. Really shocking at times with a great performance from veteran actress Marlyn Mason as the evil motel owner.

Camera Obscura (B+): Jake, a former war photographer suffering from PTSD, is given a vintage camera from his fiancee to help him regain his passion for taking photos. However, when he learns that the photographs show imminent deaths, he goes even into a further downward spiral when he learns his fiancee is the next victim, forcing him to go to great lengths to save her. A really good directorial debut from Aaron B. Koontz, a self-confessed horror film fan, who meshes a few subgenres in the horror film to craft an interesting storyline all driven by a great performance by lead actor Christopher Denham.

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (A): I took my kids to see this and we all were cracking up. Kevin Hart and Thomas Middleditch were great as George and Harold, breaking the fourth wall on a few occasions with Ed Helms being hysterical as the titular Captain Underpants and his alter ego, Principal Grubb. Nick Kroll gives ample support as villain Professor Poopypants and I didn't even know Jordan Peele was in the film as the very annoying suckup Melvin. Fun family film...could see a sequel in the midst.

Live By Night (2017)

For those who like her and haven't seen "Olive Kitteridge" (4 part mini series) - I would strongly recommend it. Her and Richard Jenkins give some of the most amazing screen chemistry I've seen on tv and film in recent times
I loved Olive Kitteridge. Then I read the book & it's also good.

Stripes 9/10