Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Well, the film is basically set around college guys sleeping around, partying, and sleeping around some more. Questionable may not have been the right word; it just seems like the type of film a younger filmmaker would make.
True enough, but the fact that he was able to make it feel so young-spirited and authentic with only Linklater's signature dialogue giving it a little more weight and substance than such time and place might have had, I think it's quite an accomplishment. Looking behind the scenes he was also very professional about it, wanting it to be extremely spot on, at least in terms of how he lived it and it's pretty clear it's a very personal piece.

But yeah, I think it just shows that he is a great director. Same with how Scorsese went and made a film like Wolf of Wall Street... It's not exactly clear that film is made by a guy past his 70s.

I do. I know it by heart.

Star spangled banner
It's a banner of stars
Star spangled banner
Eat your hot dog and watch baseball
Damn skippy.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Bridges of Madison County - 6/10

I saw this only because of Clint/Meryl, but they weren't that great, and the screenplay wasn't good.

Damn that's a shame. I went with some girlfriends and they were howling

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Damn that's a shame. I went with some girlfriends and they were howling
They must be some real lookers
Docked tails and only 2 legs each

Them (Mureau & Palud, 2006)

You know how movies love to advertise with the most cliche phrases plucked from crappy movie reviews? "This one will have you on the edge of your seat!" "it's a real nail biter!" "A thriller sure to have your heart racing!" Well, this movie actually did that for me. My heart was actually racing. The anxiety was palpable. It was terrifying.

This French-Romanian horror masterpiece begins with one of the strongest cold opens imaginable. Right away you're clued in as to how this movie will operate. FIrst and foremost, that it will maintain the Lovecraftian notion that “the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”. It does this by keeping you in the dark as to what exactly lurks in the shadows and behind every corner. It's an absence that doubles as an omnipresence. Pretty standard horror fair. Secondly, and most importantly, that if it can't peer into the void, then it can at least make you hear every creak and groan which emanates from its maw. It proceeds to deliver sound design unrivaled by anything else as far as I'm concerned. With those two simple guidelines in place, Them conveys the hyper alert state of fear in a disturbingly visceral manner.

Oh, and when it finally does decide to pull the curtain back, you aren't disappointed. Unveiling the beast doesn't really provide an answer here, only more questions. Killers without motives have always enthralled the public. Pure evil is inexplicable, and humans who dabble in it will always be scarier than ghosts or ghouls. Always.

Oh damn. Definitely going to bump that on my watchlist now.
Make sure you have good headphones/speakers! Also, not many others have lauded this as much as I have here. That's not too uncommon when it comes to my horror ratings.

Make sure you have good headphones/speakers! Also, not many others have lauded this as much as I have here. That's not too uncommon when it comes to my horror ratings.
Definitely, I've heard mixed opinions about it but I'm always game for stuff that is polarizing like that.

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

I have such fond memories of this movie and was my favorite Disney movie in the 90's. The movie is very true to the original however small changes they made sort of frustrated me. I understand some of the changes like Belle wearing boots instead of the slipper like shoes. However Maurice is less crazy, they dont live on a farm anymore, the cupboard having a lover, I could go on. Also not adding in some things like the moving carriage that take Maurice into town, the beast was less opposing ect ect. Anyways the good parts were the songs were still solid and some of the new ones were ok. Some of the back story for Belle was also done quite well and making the Beast educated was smart. I had not watched the cartoon in a long time so this was still enjoyable to watch, I do agree that Emma Watson is not a solid actor but was good enough for the part. Overall it was still worth the cinema experience but nothing to write home about.

3/5 Stars

Le Rayon Vert (1986, Eric Rohmer)
+++

My favorite movie of all time. OK, maybe not THE favorite because there are a dozen other contenders but let's say, it's consistently in the top 5. Films come and go but this one remains near the top, always.

Memories of Murder (Joon-ho, 2003)

I have a habit of watching movies blind. This isn't the first time that I've found out after the fact that a movie was based on true events. This could be the first time that it somewhat hurt the experience. I didn't see that coming.

I've seen enough South Korean thrillers to know what kind of director Bong Joon-ho is, and I've seen enough serial killer murder mysteries to know exactly what movies clearly inspired this one. Normally that kind of context would be helpful in understanding a movie. Here, I admit I thought I cracked the case about an hour into it, thus the last 30 minutes or so felt very long-winded. I was disinterested in a foregone conclusion, so I really kind of ruined it for myself.

I definitely shoulder the blame, but I can't help but feel like there's an easy case to be made for the detective from Seoul to have been the killer. Of course that relies on having seen your fair share of "muh mind****" aka "muh twist" cinema which will poison your brain. I won't waste time laying out the bits and pieces here. I will say Memories of Murder is a hilarious edition to a quite sullen and grim collection of films about serial murder. It's also gorgeous, set in a wonderfully distinct period, and its characters are quite vivid. Read up before going in, and you'll probably enjoy it more than I did.

This is my first time here. And because there's an upcoming movie Pirates of The Carribean, I watched again the Pirates of the Carribean: Worlds End.. My Rate is 8/10

Well this was the polar opposite of Perfect Blue. Where as Perfect Blue was a very dark, urban, and adult oriented psychological thriller. Totoro was rural, bright, and whimsical kids movie. I can see why Disney would want to distribute it in the States. My biggest fear here was that I would not like it as much since I just saw it after having such an amazing experience with Perfect Blue. But it is Miyazaki, so yeah it was very good. In fact I liked it better then Nausicaa. It is just a very simple story about two kids moving into their new home and meeting the weird giant fuzzball who lives nearby. There is no epic struggle between good and evil, not plot to save the world, and to be honest their is not a whole lot of plot period. Plenty of story though. And so sweet I thought I was going to need an insulin shot.

I guess I will watch Takahata next.

Been Rewatching this, in more better version and wow
some of problems (still) like too much imposed negavity toward US hegemony, kiyoko ann paterson' s engrish-and the the rest of jap's engrish as well, gojira dorsal laser, as well there's moments when evolved godzilla walk clumsily and sometime it's like menacing but plainly walking in dead sleep
In the end I considered those as minor as overall I still astonished by the gojiira factor and how the story build + no much point for personal/individual heroism or somethin like that - joking on bureucracy - I think it will be rewarded if audiences familiar with hideaki anno stuff like the his typical ultraman laser beam, nge, or his creation giant god warrior - also feel treasured to known many jap actress-actor-filmaker whenever the screen change even for small roles and small cameo