Your Favorite Movie Effects

Tools    

movie effects have developed and changed quite a bit over time. from stop-motion and various on-set techniques to digital, computer animation, & CGI. Additions can be made digitally in post-production, or practical/mechanical on-set effects can be filmed in shot.

This thread will be dedicated to ones we find memorable. a good effect doesn't need to be complex, it can be simple. comes down to execution, sound effects, fitting the story & serving the narrative. or hell, other times, they're just damn cool

these won't be presented in any particular order. for some, it all may be silly. but for me, it's when i get to see people's imagination come to life. and while it's easy for some to laugh or criticize a special effect, people can put lots of time, effort and love into them. simply with the intent to create something special that people will enjoy. and i think that's a really cool thing

feel free to add your own

the T-1000, liquid metal

in T2: Judgment Day
(James Cameron, 1991)

Stan Winston Studio, the special effects team for T2, broke unprecedented new ground with the T-1000 liquid metal effects
The endoskeletons, which had been the big deal on Terminator, were the least of our problems on Terminator 2,” said 25-year SWS supervisor and Co-Founder of Legacy Effects, John Rosengrant. “By far, the most challenging things we did for Terminator 2 were these physical effects involving the T-1000 character. We did a lot of in-camera magic tricks for that — splitting open bodies, finger blades, heads blowing open, bullet-hit wounds. Every day, there was something new and challenging to do.”

favorite part with the t1000 is when it starts malfunctioning in the steel mill after it is frozen by liquid nitrogen & shattered by Arnold

it becomes damaged, loses control of its morphing ability, & starts glitching

↓ dude working on the Pretzel Man effect at the end of the film ↓

and the final product:

basically, the liquid metal concept is f#ing awesome

you read my mind swan, had this set up and ready to publish a few hours ago

Talos, the guard of Crete

& the Skeleton Army

in Jason & the Argonauts
(Don Chaffey, 1963)

the special effects magician is Ray Harryhausen. he created a form of stop-motion model animation called 'Dynamation.' He died in May of last year (2013), but his work still lives. and is still awesome. There's something about that huge giant statue coming to life, that just works.

I need to revisit a few of the Ray Harryhausen movies. i think i saw a lot of them when i was really young, but they're hazy in my memory. i watched Jason & the Argonauts just a couple years ago tho

Jason and the Argonauts is a perfect pick to represent Harryhausen. Talos, the giant Titan statue, is one of my all-time favorite effects, although like Swan said, the hydra is awesome also. And the harpies and the skeleton army and the...am I leaving anything out? My favorite Harryhausen film, but I love them all. Thanks for going through the whole spectrum of effects, old school and new.

Finished here. It's been fun.
In my eyes Blade Runner is the most visually stunning film ever made, and the special effects are marvelous. I might be a bit biased however considering its my favorite film of all-time.

Mezmerized, what movie is the gif that you posted from?
A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Will there be any practical blood effects on this list? One of my biggest pet peeves in horror flicks these days is CGI blood!

Blood is either CGI or chocolate syrup. I rarely see real blood used in movies.

Mezmerized, what movie is the gif that you posted from?

Yes. Artificial Intelligence. Directed by Steven Spielberg. One of the few movies where I appreciate CGI.

If so, whether you like it or not, Kill Bill needs a mention!

I was very disappointed with Kill Bill. It supposedly starred David Carradine, and yet I never saw him in the movie. Master Po would be very upset about this.

Ah, fear not, Grasshopper.