How come movies shot in 1.85:1 come out at 16:9 on my TV?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Basically if I insert a DVD into the player of a movie that was shot at 1.85:1, the DVD player and TV display it at 16:9.

I tried messing with the player and TV settings, but the only option is 16:9, full 16:9 and 4:3 letterbox.

So none of those options will display the movie in 1.85:1. This goes for all movies shot in that aspect ratio. Anyone know what I can do?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
First off, dividing 16 by 9 gives you 1.78 which is close. To get the true aspect ratio you either need better discs, players or TVs.

Well I feel like some of the picture is being cut off if the TV chooses to round it up to 1.78 instead 1.85. If I get a new TV or disc player later on, what should I be on the lookout for, if I don't want the TV or disc player to round it up?

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
There should be a zoom setting on the TV itself. Set it to "direct" or something like it and nothing will be cut off.

Okay thanks, but I did this and it still comes out 16:9 and not 1.85:1.

My DVD player has also been playing movies shot in 1.33:1, such as old movies, and displays them as 16:9 as well. Is there anyway to fix the DVD player so it will just play the movie in it's original aspect ratio whatever that may be, instead of deciding that every movie is 16:9?

Ok, thanks again New Yorker. I will mess around with this as you said and try some different modes.

Until then.

Bye and thanks

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ok, thanks again New Yorker. I will mess around with this as you said and try some different modes.

Until then.

Bye and thanks

Np, North Dakotaite! Glad to help. Modes can be tricky, but the good thing is there's always more than one.

Keep us updated on your status.

VR,
yn