Listing off my favourite film from each decade

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
1920s: The General
A fantastically done action-comedy on every front, especially in its main character. He's a man who fully thinks in terms of ''I must'' rather than ''I deserve''. Definitely a hero who inspires you to be more like him.

1930s: N/A
Never found anything that really struck a chord with me to the same degree that the others on this list did. The closest to a film like that, I guess, would be King Kong.

1940s: Rope
Gimmicky on the surface, but made good mostly by the dialogue. It's incredibly sharp, full of character, and often darkly funny. The murderer's constant subtle provocations had me laughing like a howler monkey.

1950s: Seven Samurai
I love rural settings, being a village guy myself, and I have lots of nostalgia for Usagi Yojimbo, so it's to be expected that Seven Samurai would go down so smoothly with me. 3 and a half hours, and it went by in a heartbeat.
It is also one of the most accessible epics I know of. I feel like that often goes unmentioned.

1960s: An Event
The strongest decade for cinema overall. There's plenty of films from this time I wanna talk about, but An Event remains my favourite, mainly for how well its 3 main talents fit together. Anton Chekov, from whom the film was adapted, brings his strong understanding of human psyche, the director Vatroslav Mimica his knack for visually portraying terror, and the actor Boris Dvornik his 11/10 performance as the villain.

1970s: Fritz the Cat/Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat
Fritz is my favourite comic book of all time, and seeing two cartoons do justice to his horny antics, with added 1970s groove, made my day. I put both, because the more ambitious original is easier to appreciate when you see the more conventional sequel, while the more relaxed sequel is easier to appreciate when you see the more neurotic original.
I realize they're not for everyone, though.

1980s: Excalibur
An adaptation of the Arthurian legend made with so much respect and reverence, modern-day standards (including the hollywood style of storytelling) mean absolutely nothing to it. The visual style makes you feel like a little kid dreaming of slaying dragons, something many have attempted but none have pulled off this well. Anyone complaining about the cynicism of modern movies will be delighted with Excalibur.

1990s: A Taste of Cherry
An iranian character study drama about a man looking for someone to help him commit suicide. A little touchy-feely, yes, but when you have a high enough EQ to make it both convincing and interesting, then you can get away with that, and A Taste of Cherry is exactly that. Also, the lead performance is pitch-perfect. Words don't do it justice.

2000s: Apocalypto
To begin with, you don't see many action movies, or pop culture items in general, revolve around the Mayans or Aztecs, so that alone made Apocalypto noteworthy, but the depiction of it all is so good you'd think they spent the budget on a time machine. The action is so well directed, it embarrasses any and all competition.
while the chin-stroking parts are very simplistic, they're still good because you can tell Mad Mel meant evry word of it.

2010s: The World's End
A very complex one to talk about. I will definitely have to give it a full review one day. But to sum it up quickly, it's comedy, action, drama and serious sci-fi done in equal measure, but not only are all those good, but they all meld in a way that they boost, rather than interrupt, each other. The sci-fi is especially notable, because it's essentially England apologizing for writing Childhood's End. Total Giga Chad move.
Just pretend those last 2 minutes don't exist, they probably had to do that to get past the censors.

1900s; A Trip to the Moon
1910s: Intolerance
1920s: Man With a Movie Camera
1930s: It Happened One Night
1940s: Late Spring
1950s: Vertigo
1960s: 2001: A Space Odyssey
1970s: Stalker
1980s: Come and See
1990s: A Moment of Innocence
2000s: The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
2010s: The Tree of Life
2020s: Da 5 Bloods

I'm too lazy to make my on list so I'll just comment.

I love Excalibur for the reasons you mentioned and more. Nice choice.

1900s; A Trip to the Moon
1930s: It Happened One Night
1940s: Late Spring
1960s: 2001: A Space Odyssey
1970s: Stalker
Those might be my choices for those decades. I know for sure It Happened One Night would be mine for the 1930s. Nice choices.

I'm too lazy to make my on list so I'll just comment. ...

Those might be my choices for those decades. I know for sure It Happened One Night would be mine for the 1930s. Nice choices.
I suspect you might list In a Lonely Place or another GG noir for 1950...

Cool list; I suppose if I had to make one of my own for the decades (starting with the 30's), it'd look something like:

30's: All Quiet On The Western Front
40's: The Third Man
50's: Vertigo
60's: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
70's: Aguirre: The Wrath Of God
80's: Once Upon A Time In America
90's: Schindler's List
2000's: No Country For Old Men
2010's: Arrival

Without putting much effort into this...

1910s: J'accuse
1920s: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
1930s: M
1940s: Double Indemnity
1950s: The Seventh Seal
1960s: Once Upon a Time in the West
1970s: The Exorcist
1980s: Robocop / Blade Runner / Conan / Aliens
1990s: Ringu
2000s: Let the Right One In
2010s: Brimstone

20's Metropolis
30's Snow White
40's Citizen Kane (obligatory answer)
50's 12 Angry Men
60's Lawrence of Arabia
70's Star Wars
80's Back to the Future
90's Pulp Fiction
00's No Country for Old Men
10's Meh...

1920s - Battleship Potemkin
1930s - Bringing Up Baby
1940s - The Third Man
1950s - 12 Angry Men
1960s - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
1970s - Apocalypse Now
1980s - The Breakfast Club
1990s - Dazed and Confused
2000s - Almost Famous
2010s - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Here is a list of the favorites that I have seen:
1900 The Great Train Robbery
1910 Intolerance
1920 The General
1930 M
1940 To Be or Not to Be
1950- Streetcar named Desire
1960-Dr. Strangelove
1970 The Godfather Pt 1
1980 Blade Runner/Hannah and Her Sisters
1990 GoodFellas
2000 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2010 Parasite (Need to watch more from the last decade.)

Mine:
1910s: The Cameraman's Revenge
1920s: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
1930s: Freaks
1940s: Bambi
1950s: The Hanging Tree
1960s: Persona
1970s: Charlotte's Web
1980s: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
1990s: Being John Malkovich
2000s: Quills
2010s: Her
2020s: N/A. I've watched very few new movies in the last few years and none have left much impression. I'm hoping C'mon C'mon will change that, but I've not watched it yet.

20s Sherlock Jr
30s. Duck Soup
40s Day of Wrath
50s. Rear Window
60s. Persona
70s. Chinatown
80s. The Elephant Man
90s La Haine
00s. The Pianist
10s The Florida Project

You might give "M" a watch. Peter Lorre gives a good performance. A good film from the 30's.

1920s: The General
A fantastically done action-comedy on every front, especially in its main character. He's a man who fully thinks in terms of ''I must'' rather than ''I deserve''. Definitely a hero who inspires you to be more like him.

Never found anything that really struck a chord with me to the same degree that the others on this list did. The closest to a film like that, I guess, would be King Kong.

1940s: Rope
Gimmicky on the surface, but made good mostly by the dialogue. It's incredibly sharp, full of character, and often darkly funny. The murderer's constant subtle provocations had me laughing like a howler monkey.

1950s: Seven Samurai
I love rural settings, being a village guy myself, and I have lots of nostalgia for Usagi Yojimbo, so it's to be expected that Seven Samurai would go down so smoothly with me. 3 and a half hours, and it went by in a heartbeat.
It is also one of the most accessible epics I know of. I feel like that often goes unmentioned.

1960s: An Event
The strongest decade for cinema overall. There's plenty of films from this time I wanna talk about, but An Event remains my favourite, mainly for how well its 3 main talents fit together. Anton Chekov, from whom the film was adapted, brings his strong understanding of human psyche, the director Vatroslav Mimica his knack for visually portraying terror, and the actor Boris Dvornik his 11/10 performance as the villain.

1970s: Fritz the Cat/Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat
Fritz is my favourite comic book of all time, and seeing two cartoons do justice to his horny antics, with added 1970s groove, made my day. I put both, because the more ambitious original is easier to appreciate when you see the more conventional sequel, while the more relaxed sequel is easier to appreciate when you see the more neurotic original.
I realize they're not for everyone, though.

1980s: Excalibur
An adaptation of the Arthurian legend made with so much respect and reverence, modern-day standards (including the hollywood style of storytelling) mean absolutely nothing to it. The visual style makes you feel like a little kid dreaming of slaying dragons, something many have attempted but none have pulled off this well. Anyone complaining about the cynicism of modern movies will be delighted with Excalibur.

1990s: A Taste of Cherry
An iranian character study drama about a man looking for someone to help him commit suicide. A little touchy-feely, yes, but when you have a high enough EQ to make it both convincing and interesting, then you can get away with that, and A Taste of Cherry is exactly that. Also, the lead performance is pitch-perfect. Words don't do it justice.

2000s: Apocalypto
To begin with, you don't see many action movies, or pop culture items in general, revolve around the Mayans or Aztecs, so that alone made Apocalypto noteworthy, but the depiction of it all is so good you'd think they spent the budget on a time machine. The action is so well directed, it embarrasses any and all competition.
while the chin-stroking parts are very simplistic, they're still good because you can tell Mad Mel meant evry word of it.

2010s: The World's End
A very complex one to talk about. I will definitely have to give it a full review one day. But to sum it up quickly, it's comedy, action, drama and serious sci-fi done in equal measure, but not only are all those good, but they all meld in a way that they boost, rather than interrupt, each other. The sci-fi is especially notable, because it's essentially England apologizing for writing Childhood's End. Total Giga Chad move.
Just pretend those last 2 minutes don't exist, they probably had to do that to get past the censors.

If you don't mind, here are some recommendations I find to be worthy from that decade...

Le Jour se Lève
M
Duck Soup
The Invisible Man
Vampyr
Captain Blood
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Things to Come
All Quiet on the Western Front
Freaks

Hitchcock also had a pretty nice run in the late 1930s with his "spy" thrillers (The 39 Steps, Secret Agent, Young and Innocent, Sabotage, and The Lady Vanishes), and although none of them are spectacular, they are all a lot of fun and worth a watch.

hell yeah.. finally someone who apprciates the masterpiece excalibur.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
1910s - Shoes
1920s - Battleship Potemkin
1930s - Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
1940s - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
1950s - La Strada
1960s - They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
1970s - Harry And Tonto
1980s - Shadows In Paradise
1990s - Buffalo '66
2000s - There Will Be Blood
2010s - I, Daniel Blake

1910s- Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (1916)
1920s- Safety Last! (1923)
1930s-Gone with the Wind (1939)
1940- Citizen Kane (1941)
1950-Ben-Hur (1959)
1960s- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
1970s- Apocalypse Now (1979)
1980s- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
1990s- Schindler's List (1993)
2000s- The Departed (2006)
2010s- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)