Defining Roles

Tools    

Pretty simple, what’s the defining role for your favourite actors.

For example:

Eddie Murphy – For me it would be Beverly Hills Cop but a lot of newborns say Dr Dolittle

Robin Williams – Mrs Doubtfire, without a doubt

etc etc

Hopkins will never escape the character of Hannibal, no matter what else he does.

I also have to doubt that Hugh Jackman will find it easy to be thought of as anyone or anything but Wolverine.

An obvious choice is Anuld, he will always be remembered as the terminator. And add Christopher reeves as Superman to the list.

Anthony Perkins was a wonderful actor, but he became trapped by his most famous role: Norman Bates in Psycho. A blessing and a curse for an actor.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, and Harrison Ford in Star Wars, were all propelled into the stratosphere with these roles. There are so many others, like Pulp Fiction for example, how many careers did that movie propell? But I think the biggest "defining role" of all time is Judy Garland's Dorothy.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

My life isn't written very well.
John Travolta: Saturday Night Fever

Roy Scheider: Jaws

Henry Thomas: E.T.

Clint Eastwood: Dirty Harry

Jamie Lee Curtis: Halloween

Betsy Palmer: Friday the 13th

Linda Blair: The Exorcist

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Tobey Maguire as Spiderman…
Jason Scott Lee as Mowgli in The Jungle Book…
And I always associate Sam Neill with The Omen III before I do Jurassic Park…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
But I think the biggest "defining role" of all time is Judy Garland's Dorothy.
Good call. I think Hopkins' Lecter and Ah-nuld's Terminator rival her for the title, but she's definitely up there.

Nic Cage will always be remembered as Con Air man to me and also Neo will ALWAYS be Neo, non of his other movies really compare to the success of The Matrix.

And see, for me, Nicolas Cage is defined by neither Leaving Las Vegas, nor Con Air, but Adaptation [where I thought he shone most brightly], thus I think we can basically rule out the probablity of him ever been defined by one of those three films.

Elijah wood ~ Radio flyer
Sean astin ~ Goonies
Tobey Maguire ~ Cider House rules
Jerry O'connell ~ Stand by Me
Josh Hartnett ~ The Faculty
Jim Carey ~ Ace Ventura

I'm sure I'll add more later!

Piggle
x x x x

http://www.2madcowsmoovies.com/image...moolinkani.gif

I don't fear the Insanity! I Enjoy it!

Originally posted by Piggle_Humsy
Elijah wood ~ Radio flyer
Originally posted by Piggle_Humsy
Tobey Maguire ~ Cider House rules
Um...I'm kinda thinking both of these young men are better-known for their starring roles just last year...roles in films that made over $300 million domestically. You may have heard of them.

Yes of course! I've met Elijah so I think i'd know it!
But this is what defined them for me! what made me notice they were really good actors!

Piggle
x x x x

Put me in your pocket...
Originally posted by LordSlaytan
But I think the biggest "defining role" of all time is Judy Garland's Dorothy.
I definately agree with you Brian.

Everyone's made some nice calls. I'd also like to add...

Julie Andrews~ Mary Poppins and Maria

Viggo Mortensen~ Aragorn. No matter what he does in the future I will always think of him as Aragorn.

Good clall, Annie. Ironic that they were shooting for roughly a week with Stuart Townsend in the role of Aragorn at first, before creative differences force them to recast.

Turned out pretty well, eh? Divine intervention, perhaps?

I dunno, Slay... Harrison Ford is always Indiana Jones to me.

and Stallone is always Rocky

and Keaton is always Batman

and I wish I were always drunk.