"Librium" now "Equilibrium"

Tools    

Anyone know when this movie is going to be released? (It's about a futuristic society that forces every resident to use a tranquilizer to keep them numb...)

I heard that the name was changed from Librium to Equilibrium. Librium is the name of the first drug in the class that Valium belongs to... so maybe the drug company that produces it made them change.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing it(sounds scary yet realistic at the same time). If anyone has info on this movie let me know.

By the way, I liked the name "Librium" better -- it just made the movie seem more realistic...

Didn't see it.
I heard they changed the name to distance the movie from the actual drug named Librium(R) that is used to treat anxiety, panic disorder, symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, tremor, and tension headaches.

And the release date I saw was TBA 2001. LOL! Not much help.

Yeah, I know that that's why the name of the film was changed. LIBRIUM is a real drug; EQUILIBRIUM just does not, to me, really get to the point.

You're probably asking, "Well what IS your point"? My point is that, since sometime in the 1950's when the introduction of Thorazine occurred, people have been seeking just the "magic pill" - - Then of course, we had Librium, Miltown, Valium, Xanax, (now Prozac)... the drugs keep getting stronger, targeting specific areas of the brain, and changing people who are BY SOCIETY'S STANDARDS behaving irresponsibly to becoming "FUNCTIONING MEMBERS OF SOCIETY".

This film, from what I have read, just takes it one step further: rather than hospitals, psychiatrists, etc. dispensing these medicines, the government is the chief dispensor of Librium (or Equi-Librium or whatever). It raises, I believe, some thought-provoking questions: What IS normal? Who, if anyone, in society has the right or wisdom to determine "Normal"? Is "Normal? conformist or is "Normal" the feelings, opinions, and actions that we each express? Does personality boil down to a bunch of neurotransmitters or are we a bit above that? I, myself, am looking forward to the release of this film. I hope people actually look at the film's message rather than just look at it as a Sci-Fi Flick.

My best advice to people who want to view "Librium|" or "Equilibrim" is to first read "Prozac Nation", one woman's struggle to survive in this messed up world. The book ends on quite a note: that we are now giving our pet dogs and cats drugs like Valium, Librium, Prozac, antidepressants - - to "rid them of their social phobias, etc." I feel that the release of this film, IF THE FILM DOES THE RIGHT THINGS TO CONVEY THE MESSAGE, will make people think a little bit harder about how we now look at medicine in general, psychiatric, "oh-face-lift-made-me-younger", what I call "cosmetic psychiatry" (I am not sociable enought -- give me a little booster), etc. . Well have babbled enough.

Talking to Myself Now.. that's a new one.

LIBRIUM is a book that studies governmental control over citizens' lives by ensuring that each citizen recieves a dose of LIBRIUM per day -- controls the government. Only problem is that Librium is the brand name for the first "benzodiazepine anti anxiety agent .... lots followed, like Valium, Tranxeme, Xanax, Dalmane) ... But I remember seeing I think the Andromena Strain. They named a drug - - called SOMA -- that would help you live longer. Turns out SOMA is a real drug (a muscle relaxant that helps people with movement disorder) .. I didn't see them change the name of that movie to Equi-Soma.

Soilent Green was originally named Spam.
God, I hope no one that can sue me reads that.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Soma was originally (I believe) from the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. A drug that "calmed" and gave a dreamy sense of happiness that replaced anyone's need or desire (or the prepensity for) individuality or inspired/self-motivated action.