"Rocky VI"

Tools    

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
"Let's start buildin' some hurtin' bombs."

That line from the trailer never fails to make me laugh. I'll watch the movie hoping for more gems like that.

i was always a rocky fan. but i dont think this upcoming movie would still be a hit. imo.

I love stallone especially rocky and it's the only time I don't mind seeing him in a role made him super heroe.
He IS old but let's first see the film and then we can critique him.

Originally Posted by ellinas
I love stallone especially rocky and it's the only time I don't mind seeing him in a role made him super heroe.
He IS old but let's first see the film and then we can critique him.
it would not be a bad try.

Rock-n-Roll hoochie koo
Those rocky movies are kind of old, what are they about again?

I now a lot of people will say he shouldn't make Rocky vi but I can guarantee it will make million, I'll be there in the front of the que!

WARNING: "[U]MAJOR[/U] [B]Rocky Balboa[/B]" spoilers below
Rocky’s wife, Adrian, dies before this movie, making him a widower. He reunites with “Little Marie” from the first Rocky movie (he walked her home, and she said, “Screw you, creapo!”), and plays mentor to her and her son, Steps (short for Stephen).

Mason “the Line” Dixon is the reigning boxing champ, but he keeps knocking people out so fast that people think he cannot go the distance with a “real” fighter. Rocky decides he needs to fight again, so he gets a license. A computer simulation shows Rocky being the victor if the two fought at their primes. Dixon’s crew, looking to add drama and attention to Dixon’s career, approach Rocky for the fight; Rocky agrees.

The two fight in Las Vegas. Dixon approaches it as a joke exhibition, but Rocky is serious. Rocky is knocked down twice (8-count, then 9-count) in the first round (may have been 2nd round, they went by fast), almost losing to a TKO. Then, Rocky knocks Dixon down for an 8-count. Next round, Dixon does a low hook and hits Rocky’s hip, causing Dixon’s hand to break. In the end, they both go the distance; Dixon and Rocky each earning both the crowd’s and the sport’s respect.

Rocky leaves the ring before the winner is announced; he won just by going the distance. Dixon wins the split decision (95/94, 94/95, 95/94). Despite this, the crowd still chants, “Rocky, Rocky, Rocky!”

In the epilogue, Rocky is once again standing by Adrian’s gravesite (reoccurring theme of an enduring husband-wife connection). He whispers “Yo Adrian, we did it,” and walks away, fading out of existence.

how the hell can he fight now he will older than apollo was when he was killed in 4

I'm probably the biggest rocky fan on the boards... and I will be seeing the movie in a couple hours from now!!!!!

Originally Posted by jrs
Heck, it seems that he's physically fit enough to do so.
I dont know. How old is he supposed to be exactly in these movies. Total fantasy to believe a 60 year old, even a 55 year old boxer who hasnt fought in awhile can even compete against a very much younger Champ of the world. Still, I'm planning on catching this one during boxing day sometime........hey, i'm watching a boxing movie on boxing day.......Get it.

Ok Ok, it wasnt that funny.

It's a stretch, but not an outrageous one. George Foreman came out of retirement and regained the World Heavyweight Title at 45. He won several more fights at the age of 47 before narrowly losing a 12-round decision that, had he won, would have earned him another title shot (against then-champion Lennox Lewis).

And, of course, there's the issue of whether or not Rocky Balboa is set in the same year as its release. Is Rocky 60 in the film? He could pass for early 50s, I think, which is entirely within the realm of possibility.

no matter i will still watch it , as i am a rocky fan

Originally Posted by Yoda
It's a stretch, but not an outrageous one. George Foreman came out of retirement and regained the World Heavyweight Title at 45. He won several more fights at the age of 47 before narrowly losing a 12-round decision that, had he won, would have earned him another title shot (against then-champion Lennox Lewis).

And, of course, there's the issue of whether or not Rocky Balboa is set in the same year as its release. Is Rocky 60 in the film? He could pass for early 50s, I think, which is entirely within the realm of possibility.
Yeah I dunno. 45 is still a far cry from 55 or 60 if he is supposed to be around those ages of course. But that fight you speak of back in '94, I actually watched it then and Foreman was still just a shadow of his former self from the 70's. He also happened to be very lucky Tyson was in jail at that time. That fight actually was quite boring to watch too as I recall. Both looked like a couple of slow tired amateurs to be honest.
But still, 45 years of age I can see that as a possiblilty if Rocky happened to be around there but over 50 is definitely pushing it.

60 yrs. becomes a circus act.

Rocky Movies are pretty good, but I think Stallone would be using a walker. come on. the dude's freakin old. like in the game series metal gear. in the new upcoming one your action hero/asassin stealthy dude is like 65! wtf. thats all. im not doubting that this movie could be good, because it probably is. but i think we need to give Stallone a freakin break.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Rocky is said to be "in his 50's" in the film...

Posted this in the movie tab thread but here it is again:

I've seen Rocky (1976) lots of time, the sequels not that many times. Rocky Balboa was okay. What I liked the most with it was the way it looked and the settings. I was immediately drawn into the ragged feel of the movie which suited the story perfectly. Then I think Stallone was excellent. This character he knows inside out. I like how the film was more of a drama than a beat-em-up flick. Except for the end of the film of course. The Fight was totally uninteresting, unexciting and completely unrealistic and almost more computer game-like than the computer simulation in the movie. The conflict between Rocky and "the other boxer" was never there. Rocky wasn't pissed off at Mason Dixon (who was a pretty decent but not very charismatic character), not even during the fight it seemed. I can think of a million other ways the story could have taken that would have been more interesting and suitable for the plot. To me it would have been really cool if they'd just skipped the whole "end fight concept" and focused on the drama between Rocky and his friends and family, but that is too much to ask for, I know. But why not have Rocky begin fighting in small local clubs against young fighters who lack in respect of the old Champ and then Rocky has to struggle to come back and then beat the crap out of them? No. Rocky, storming towards his 60's, goes to Vegas and gives the undefeated, undisputed heavyweight champion of the world the match of his life. Moderation, Stallone. Moderation...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This film sets itself apart from the rest of the series because it's more realistic.

Decide for yourself if that adds or subtracts from the climatic fight scene experience.

Suspect's Reviews

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
This film sets itself apart from the rest of the series because it's more realistic.

Decide for yourself if that adds or subtracts from the climatic fight scene experience.
You mean the anti-climatic fight scene experience?

On a sidenote, I saw the last 20 mins or so of Rocky IV last night on TV. Maybe the producers believe that the audience expect the end scenes of the series to be crap, and that's why the one in Rocky Balboa is rubbish.

IS it good? I'm reluctant to see it? Rocky is soooo old!!!

fbi
"Let's start buildin' some hurtin' bombs."

That line from the trailer never fails to make me laugh. I'll watch the movie hoping for more gems like that.
u mean that sarcastically or mean it in a genuine way?

Rocky is said to be "in his 50's" in the film...

Posted this in the movie tab thread but here it is again:

I've seen Rocky (1976) lots of time, the sequels not that many times. Rocky Balboa was okay. What I liked the most with it was the way it looked and the settings. I was immediately drawn into the ragged feel of the movie which suited the story perfectly. Then I think Stallone was excellent. This character he knows inside out. I like how the film was more of a drama than a beat-em-up flick. Except for the end of the film of course. The Fight was totally uninteresting, unexciting and completely unrealistic and almost more computer game-like than the computer simulation in the movie. The conflict between Rocky and "the other boxer" was never there. Rocky wasn't pissed off at Mason Dixon (who was a pretty decent but not very charismatic character), not even during the fight it seemed. I can think of a million other ways the story could have taken that would have been more interesting and suitable for the plot. To me it would have been really cool if they'd just skipped the whole "end fight concept" and focused on the drama between Rocky and his friends and family, but that is too much to ask for, I know. But why not have Rocky begin fighting in small local clubs against young fighters who lack in respect of the old Champ and then Rocky has to struggle to come back and then beat the crap out of them? No. Rocky, storming towards his 60's, goes to Vegas and gives the undefeated, undisputed heavyweight champion of the world the match of his life. Moderation, Stallone. Moderation...
I dont think that a rocky movie should not have a fight at the end. thats silly. The movie would definitley be pointless.

but yeah, i agree that the so called boxing villain wasnt even a villain.
come on, how flat and boring was mason dixon? stallone tried to avoid being called cliched by giving the bad guy compassion and not make him the stereotypical evil boxer out to destroy balboa.

this i understand but this just made the movie boring. No matter how cliched it gets, people love a movie with a bad guy vs the good guy. Without it, the film falls flat on its face.

and franky, no one cares.

and antonio tarver who played dixon was an ok actor but lacked charisma. a lot of it. miscast.

when mason dixon says to balboa "theres no need for either of us to get hurt. I'll do my best to carry u", that just KILLED the movie.
So when it came to the fight, i didnt really worry too much about rocky getting hurt cos i knew dixon wasnt out to hurt him.

And when dixons trainer tells him to "take it easy on balboa, its just an exhibition", that just made it even worse. That buried the film period.

due to this, there was no tension in the fight whatsoever.

there was no need to make another clubber lang or drago (who were great) but stallone should have made dixon much more menacing.

Hey, tommy morrison (tommy gunn) was just a boxer who was given the role of rocky opponent and he was actually a decent actor.
He at least made a decent bad guy.

He should be given more acting roles.