The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Spirited Away

Aogaeru: Welcome the rich man, he's hard for you to miss. His butt keeps getting bigger, so there's plenty there to kiss!

While I tried to watch films in their original language, I came across this dubbed version which I was rather happy about. Since Chihiro was voiced by Daveigh Chase, who had done Lilo in Lilo and Stitch was ideal for voicing her. Along with Susan Pleshette doing both Yubaba and Zeniba.

I have yet to see all of Hayao Miyazaki's films, and while I've always loved the artwork in them, I do kinda meander off, attention-wise. Not with this one. I vaguely remember seeing this in a movie theater that specialized in arthouse films when this came out. So, this was very much like a first-time view, and I enjoyed Chihiro's character from the first moment I saw her glumly looking out the car window as they passed her new school, and she stuck her tongue out at it.

This is a film about loneliness, consumption, and the attempt to fill one's emptiness by consumption. All of which is beautifully expressed using the usual fantastical cosmos that Miyazaki is so skilled at rendering. Something I always seem to get more caught up in than the "meaning" and heart lessons that Miyazaki teaches within his films. Which appear to register after the film is complete, and my heart informs my brain what my eyes have been experiencing and the whys within the beautiful imagery.

Additionally, my #16 is Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

Equal parts comedy and homage to the seventies kung fu films, Director/Writer Stephen Chow plays the leading role of a bumbling wannabe gangster who runs afoul of the Axe Gang and a very dangerous landlady in Pig Sty Alley. He eventually discovers that he just might be a Kung Fu master.
A favorite film that we've watched over and over and over again in dubbed because the dialogue is funnier than in the subtitled version.

Films Watched 70 out of 96 (72.91%)
1. Amélie (#16)
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (#21)
3. Ratatouille (#23)
5. Gladiator (#40)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (#7)
8. The Incredibles (#36)
9. V for Vendetta (#58)
10. The Dark Knight (#10)
11. WALL·E (#13)
13. Memories of Murder (#27)
14. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (#76)
16. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
17. Mother (#96)
18. The Departed (#19)
19. The Beat That My Heart Skipped (2005)
20. Memento (#11)
21. In the Mood for Love (#12)
22. Downfall (#28)
23. Quills (#67)
24. Oldboy (#22)
25. A Bittersweet Life (One Pointer)

One Pointers: 10 out of 38 (26.31%)

Spirited Away

Aogaeru: Welcome the rich man, he's hard for you to miss. His butt keeps getting bigger, so there's plenty there to kiss!

While I tried to watch films in their original language, I came across this dubbed version which I was rather happy about. Since Chihiro was voiced by Daveigh Chase, who had done Lilo in Lilo and Stitch was ideal for voicing her. Along with Susan Pleshette doing both Yubaba and Zeniba.

I have yet to see all of Hayao Miyazaki's films, and while I've always loved the artwork in them, I do kinda meander off, attention-wise. Not with this one. I vaguely remember seeing this in a movie theater that specialized in arthouse films when this came out. So, this was very much like a first-time view, and I enjoyed Chihiro's character from the first moment I saw her glumly looking out the car window as they passed her new school, and she stuck her tongue out at it and continued to throughout.

This is a film about loneliness, consumption, and the attempt to fill one's emptiness by consumption. All of which is beautifully expressed using the usual fantastical cosmos that Miyazaki is so skilled at rendering. Something I always seem to get more caught up in than the "meaning" and heart lessons that Miyazaki teaches within his films. Which appear to register after the film is complete, and my heart informs my brain what my eyes have been experiencing and the whys within the beautiful imagery.

Additionally, my #16 is Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

Equal parts comedy and homage to the seventies kung fu films, Director/Writer Stephen Chow plays the leading role of a bumbling wannabe gangster who runs afoul of the Axe Gang and a very dangerous landlady in Pig Sty Alley. He eventually discovers that he just might be a Kung Fu master.
A favorite film that we've watched over and over and over again in dubbed because the dialogue is funnier than in the subtitled version.

Films Watched 70 out of 96 (72.91%)
1. Amélie (#16)
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (#21)
3. Ratatouille (#23)
5. Gladiator (#40)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (#7)
8. The Incredibles (#36)
9. V for Vendetta (#58)
10. The Dark Knight (#10)
11. WALL·E (#13)
13. Memories of Murder (#27)
14. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (#76)
16. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
17. Mother (#96)
18. The Departed (#19)
19. The Beat That My Heart Skipped (2005)
20. Memento (#11)
21. In the Mood for Love (#12)
22. Downfall (#28)
23. Quills (#67)
24. Oldboy (#22)
25. A Bittersweet Life (One Pointer)

One Pointers: 10 out of 38 (26.31%)
I love Kung Fu Hustle too! Didn't somebody else put this on their list? The landlady is one of my favorite characters in any movie ever! Such a fun time. I need to break that DVD out and soon! In hindsight, I wish I had put it on my list but there were a few I like as much that I swapped for, and now I'm sure they won't make it. Oh, well.

I don't think I've seen Spirited Away. I know I've seen another Miyazaki film a while back but I think it was Princess Mononoke. Looking at the clips from it, I'm pretty sure that was the one. I've not delved too deeply into Anime but I'm open to it.

#2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 8
#3. The Dark Knight 10
#4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 15
#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#15. Shaun of the Dead 20
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#20. Iron Man 83
#21. Finding Nemo 44
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

No more from my list will be showing up. So here it is! Obviously my taste is a lot different than most MoFos, hence all the red.

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) #51
2. Wendy and Lucy (2008)
3. Still Walking (2008) #101
4. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) #100
5. Amélie (2001) #16
6. Cast Away (2000) #69
7. Catch Me If You Can (2002) #72
8. Chicago (2002)
9. V for Vendetta (2006) #58
10. Downfall (2004) #28
11. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) Yes, seriously!
12. Goodbye Lenin! (2003)
13. Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

14. Gran Torino (2008) Can't believe this didn't make it
15. In the Mood for Love (2000) #12
16. School of Rock (2003)
17. Moon (2009) #48
18. Open Range (2003)
19. Best in Show (2000)

20. Riding in Cars with Boys (2001)
21. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008)
22. Antwone Fisher (2002)

23. Donnie Darko (2001) #24
24. Starsky & Hutch (2004) Yes! I'm serious again
25. My Dinner with Jimi (2003) My one pointer

Wendy and Lucy, and Good Night and Good Luck are great films, CR. Could have made my top 100. I think I had 13 from my list that didn't make the countdown - just over half.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
No more from my list will be showing up. So here it is! Obviously my taste is a lot different than most MoFos, hence all the red.

2. Wendy and Lucy (2008)
5. Amélie (2001) #16
6. Cast Away (2000) #69
8. Chicago (2002)
10. Downfall (2004) #28

17. Moon (2009) #48
18. Open Range (2003)
19. Best in Show (2000)

Big thumbs up for Anyone Fisher and Gran Torino. Fisher was a difficult last minute cut on my list.

Wendy and Lucy, and Good Night and Good Luck are great films, CR. Could have made my top 100. I think I had 13 from my list that didn't make the countdown - just over half.
I thought both of those had a chance to make the countdown, but nope.

Big thumbs up for Antwone Fisher and Gran Torino. Fisher was a difficult last minute cut on my list.
I assume you had Gran Torino on your list?

I love Kung Fu Hustle too! Didn't somebody else put this on their list? The landlady is one of my favorite characters in any movie ever! Such a fun time. I need to break that DVD out and soon! In hindsight, I wish I had put it on my list but there were a few I like as much that I swapped for, and now I'm sure they won't make it. Oh, well.

I don't think I've seen Spirited Away. I know I've seen another Miyazaki film a while back but I think it was Princess Mononoke. Looking at the clips from it, I'm pretty sure that was the one. I've not delved too deeply into Anime but I'm open to it.

#2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 8
#3. The Dark Knight 10
#4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 15
#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#15. Shaun of the Dead 20
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#20. Iron Man 83
#21. Finding Nemo 44
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76
If I remember correctly, it was TUS (@TheUsualSuspect) that talked about it.

2. Wendy and Lucy (2008)
5. Amélie (2001) #16
6. Cast Away (2000) #69
8. Chicago (2002)
10. Downfall (2004) #28

17. Moon (2009) #48
18. Open Range (2003)
19. Best in Show (2000)

Great little list.
I CANNOT believe I forgot all about Open Range. That would've been in my Top Five easy

Great little list.
I CANNOT believe I forgot all about Open Range. That would've been in my Top Five easy
And you're the reason I seen it too Actually several of those on there are HoF noms that I seen for the first time thanks to the people who nominated them.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Great little list.

I didn't think about it until like a week ago, =\

Welcome to the human race...
Spirited Away was my #3. One of those films where not voting for it would've just felt wrong.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I rewatched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for this list, and it was even better than I remembered it. With this movie, Jim Carrey proved that he can do more than just a bunch of crazy comedy movies. It was #19 on my list.

I've watched Spirited Away a few times, but I don't really understand the spirit world, and I just don't get the love for this movie.

I don't expect anything else from my list to make the countdown, (unless there's one he!! of a shocker coming up ), but I'll wait until the countdown is over to post my compete list.

My list so far:
1. WALL·E (2008)
2. Monsters, Inc. (2001)
19. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
24. Ocean's Eleven (2001)
25. Beyond the Sea (2004)

I nominated Goodbye Lenin! for the first Hall of Fame I joined here, and it's nice to see someone still liked it enough to have it on their list as well.

07. Goodbye Lenin! (2003)

A comedy about trying to keep German reunification a secret from your ill, Party-supporting mother is actually more accessible than you'd expect. Some of the political satire might be missed, but to copy what I said in the 11th HoF, nostalgia for a place that no longer exists and the desire to create an idealized world, even if it is only for the sake of a sick family member, is not something you need to be German to understand.

This film was my first introduction to Daniel Brühl (an actor I'm quite fond of), and it's his performance that sticks out to me the most - other than the flying statue, of course haha. It's clever, and heart-warming, and in my opinion: criminally under-seen. It was #7 on my list.

Anchorman is pretty funny. I've watched it a couple of times.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
And you're the reason I seen it too Actually several of those on there are HoF noms that I seen for the first time thanks to the people who nominated them.
Nowhere near my list, but I did enjoy open range. Anchorman is pretty good. It definitely would deserve a spot on a comedy countdown which maybe is where we are headed next.

A system of cells interlinked
Agreed - It just HAS to be Mulholland Drive.

592 points, 35 lists
Mulholland Drive
Director

David Lynch, 2001

Starring

Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Justin Theroux, Ann Miller

Mulholland Drive was my #2.

I've shared this story before, but I rented this back in 2001, and saw it three times back-to-back-to-back. I was just so mesmerized by it that I couldn't stop thinking about it. I've seen it 3 or 4 times since and every time I find myself caught up in it. For anyone interested...

I think I say this in both my review and the podcast, but I think it captures how I feel about the film pretty well, even if it sounds cliché... and I see this as a film that doesn't need to be understood, but rather felt. Every time I see it, I find myself so emotionally drawn to it, especially during that climatic scene at Club Silencio. I love it.

3 more to go!...

Seen: 79/97

My ballot:  

My mind was way too invested in this being number 4 behind the 3 coming. I just don’t appreciate this film at all. I don’t think it looks particularly good. I don’t think there is a puzzle to be solved. I don’t find it creepy. I don’t think there is anything going on thematically. It is simply one of those movies I don’t “get”. I’m sure I must be wrong, but I honestly don’t ever see myself giving it two more hours to find out. Mulholland Drive was my #15