The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A thumbs up for 3-3.5 movies?!? This is the 100 best though!
Are you implying that one should have more than a hundred 4+ rated movies per decade? I have a couple 3.5 rated on my own ballot, FFS

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Are you implying that one should have more than a hundred 4+ rated movies per decade? I have a couple 3.5 rated on my own ballot, FFS
I don't think my own top 100 would all be 4 or more. But probably if I saw as many as Mark and Holden, then yes.

I think my 100 would all be 3.5 or above though, could be wrong.

Trivia

Batman Begins

Did you know that...
  • writers Christopher Nolan and David Goyer used the story of "The Man Who Falls" as an inspiration and starting point for their script? Goyer also incorporated elements from Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Dark Victory, and Batman: Year One.
  • they chose Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul because they hadn't been featured in previous Batman films nor in the 1960s TV show?
  • Christopher Nolan didn't use a second unit in order to keep his vision consistent?
  • according to an interview, Christian Bale became interested in Batman after a friend loaned him the Arkham Asylum graphic novel in 2000? After reading it, he told his agent that if anyone made another Batman film, he wanted in.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Nice. Got some from my list on here, finally. Batman Begins was #9 and Unbreakable was #21.

Trivia

The Secret in Their Eyes

Did you know that...
  • this is the fourth collaboration between director Juan José Campanella and actor Ricardo Darín?
  • the impressive continuous shot at the soccer stadium took three months of pre-production, three days of shooting and nine months of post-production?
  • Guillermo Francella shaved his mustache, which he had worn for 20 years, at the request of Campanella?

My rating system is anything 3+ gets a thumbs up. 3/5 is above average. It's decent/good. Check it out, you might like it, maybe even more than me. Or you might not. Who knows. For me, 4/5 is considered great. I've seen thousands of movies. From the 90s onward probably 8-12 4/5 or higher movies a year. A personal top 100 of the decade would all be 4/5 minimum.

If you want to get technical. I guess I did! But that's just how I rate movies.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Batman Begins is a fine movie and I really liked the time it took to build its world (even though it was another redo of the origin story) and at least we saw Bruce Wayne a bit before he became Batman---I liked his training as a fighter and how he chose to call a certain group of foes "practice." I liked that coolness about him. And even though we got a new, more militaristic Batmobile, I think they based at least part of its design from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns classic comic of the late 80s. Miller's Batmobile was huge and more like a tank! I liked the casting, yes, even Katie Holmes (I'm definitely not one of her detractors). I mean, that cast was top-loaded: besides Bale and Holmes, we get Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Ken Watanabe, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Cillian Murphy...even Rutger freakin' Hauer! I felt they would have to really screw up in a big way to fail with this one and they didn't. I'm kind of in the mood to see it again. Hmm. Anyway, I didn't vote for it.

The Secret in Their Eyes is a film I had never heard of. Not even when it won Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards! D'oh! So, no vote.

#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#20. Iron Man 83
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

I forgot I had written my own review of The Secret in Their Eyes when I saw it earlier this year for a HoF, but here it is...

The Secret in Their Eyes

I was so impressed by that scene in that film that I started reading about it. Back then I saw a "Making of" video about the scene that I just can't find now, but it was great to see how they pulled it off. If I find it, I'll post it later.

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Oh, the stories of underdogs
Who fight valiantly forever
Against virile machismo
or vile government, "never!"

Remember their feats
Victorious or not
against treasonous vipers
or with illness fraught

Putting gloves or masks on
you fight your way through
Against men and vixen
or villains and crew

Sorry about the OT, everyone

My rating system is anything 3+ gets a thumbs up. 3/5 is above average. It's decent/good. Check it out, you might like it, maybe even more than me. Or you might not. Who knows. For me, 4/5 is considered great. I've seen thousands of movies. From the 90s onward probably 8-12 4/5 or higher movies a year. A personal top 100 of the decade would all be 4/5 minimum.

If you want to get technical. I guess I did! But that's just how I rate movies.
I don't get the math here (unless all the numbers are referring to 2000s movies only). Those numbers only result in approximately 300 4+ films. That's max three decades where your personal top-100 would be 4+ only, and that's assuming there are no 4+ films outside those three decades.

Other than that, our rating systems are pretty much the same: 3 is above average, 3.5 is good, 4+ is different stages of greatness.

A contribution besides nitpicking about math...

Out of the last four, I've seen three. I may have seen all, but I have no recollection of ever fully watching Spider-Man 2. I've seen parts of it, and probably started it on TV, but I'm quite sure I've never watched it in its entirety.

Unbreakable I've seen once when it was new. I don't remember much, but I haven't been at all impressed by mrimpossibletospellcorrectly's films since the Sixth Sense. Batman Begins is my favorite of the trilogy (if I'm allowed to say that as I haven't even seen the third film), but that only means it's somewhat watchable. The Secret in Their Eyes I watched for an HoF and liked it. It was among the initial list of films I considered but got cut quite early.

Seen: 20/42

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Oh, the stories of underdogs
Who fight valiantly forever
Against virile machismo
or vile government, "never!"

Remember their feats
Victorious or not
against treasonous vipers
or with illness fraught

Putting gloves or masks on
you fight your way through
Against men and vixen
or villains and crew

Gladiator and Million Dollar Baby I'll go with.

Batman Begins was #51 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List as well as #2 on the MoFo Top 50 Comic Book Movies. El Secreto de sus Ojos had never appeared on one of the collective lists before.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The only movies I haven't seen from #70-59 are A Serious Man and The Secret in Their Eyes. For the most part all of these movies are enjoyable enough but were never on my radar for top 25. Of the ones I have seen, Mystic River and Batman Begins made my ballot at no.'s 15 and 13.

Mystic River is just fantastic and on a different day I could have placed it higher and felt fine. Knowing Clint's directing style (Take 2: It's perfect! Print it!) and seeing the performances each character gives makes it that much more impressive. This is a movie where the story is solid but the acting is what push it into my top 25. For my money, Sean Penn has the most to work with and gives the best performance, maybe of his career (Dead Man Walking is a pretty ****ing good performance as well). Robbins is very good, even though I'm not a fan and Bacon, who has probably the easiest role, doesn't muck it up. It's one of those movies where you never feel comfortable - ever.

Batman Begins is my favorite superhero movie of the 2000's, second fav of all time (can't beat Catwoman!) so I felt like I had to include it. When it comes to these types of movies, origin stories are always my fav. I enjoy seeing what made them who they are and if that means I get a nice little training montage to "Eye of the Tiger" or "Hero" I'll take it. Of course we don't get anything THAT fun in Batman Begins but the origin story takes up the first hour or so and it was pretty interesting. Scarecrow is a good first enemy. An enemy that I don't remember at all from the "BIFF, POP, POW" Batman shows of my youth but do remember a little from the Justice League cartoons. Add in the fact that the teacher gets schooled by the student and you have a winner in my book. If there's a knock against it it's the same knock with all of Nolan's movies - ease up on the music, dude.

My Ballot:

A system of cells interlinked
I have some catching up to do!

I have seen all the recent additions except for The Secret in Your Eyes. That looks interesting, I will have to check that out soon.

No points for me on any of the most recent additions.