How high would you rank Interstellar among Sci-Fi films?

Tools    

i saw it twice now, and loving the second viewing, the score is very involving also, the plot is superb, the direction also, i think this movie is a perfect imitation of what humans would do in case of catastrophe when earth is unlivable anymore. space scenes, i was left in awe for the warm hole and black hole design, superb experience.

I just seen Interstellar a few day ago and thought highly of it. I would call it a great sci-fi film. I liked the plot and especially the direction. The director avoided the usually gimmick camera moves.
My review:
http://www.movieforums.com/reviews/1...erstellar.html

I don't know it's above mediocre sci fi action movies but i don't think its as good as something like Sunshine (2007) or 2001 and it's my least favourite film by Nolan.
You don't have to be the bad guy. You are the most talented, most interesting, and most extraordinary person in the universe. And you are capable of amazing things. Because you are the Special. And so am I. And so is everyone. -Emmet, The Lego Movie.

I'm a bit of a science fiction nerd. I read tons of sci-fi from Greg Bear, Dan Simmons, Orson Scott Card, William Gibson, Joe Haldeman, and more. I post that because, IMO, Interstellar is the type of film that is inspired by forward thinking, huge idea writers like those. It's the type of film that just rarely gets made because, honestly, most people want to see sci-fi like The Terminator or Jurassic World where the emphasis is on the action and not the big ideas.

I'd say, because of it's scope and big ideas, I'd rank it easily in the top five science fiction films of all time. Easily. It's not a flawless film, but it's unlike the vast majority of science fiction that gets made. I'd probably put Blade Runner and 2001 above it but not much else.

I don't know it's above mediocre sci fi action movies but i don't think its as good as something like Sunshine (2007) or 2001 and it's my least favourite film by Nolan.
I would say Sunshine was one of the all times great sci-fis, if they hadn't stuck the shock-horror sequence into the the middle of it.

My short review of Sunshine
http://www.movieforums.com/reviews/1...-sunshine.html

I would say Sunshine was one of the all times great sci-fis, if they hadn't stuck the shock-horror sequence into the the middle of it.
Completely agree.

Welcome to the human race...
I remember when I saw Interstellar and my reaction to the reveal of

WARNING: "Interstellar" spoilers below
Matt Damon's character

was basically "This movie's not going to go all Sunshine on me, is it?"

WARNING: "Interstellar/Sunshine" spoilers below
It did.

i was really left in awe for the warm hole and black hole scenes, i was like: wow look at that...

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Visually it's one of the best ever done. But it's empty, so empty... Wherever you rank it, it's light years away from 2001 or Blade Runner.
It's still one of the best done in the past 20 years.

I remember when I saw Interstellar and my reaction to the reveal of

WARNING: "Interstellar" spoilers below
Matt Damon's character

was basically "This movie's not going to go all Sunshine on me, is it?"

WARNING: "Interstellar/Sunshine" spoilers below
It did.
Except it actually made a lot of sense. In Sunshine the guy just goes mad. In Interstellar he's been isolated in a very harsh environment for years. That life took its toll on his mind. It's not like it's completely out of nowhere or unexplainable...

Visually it's one of the best ever done. But it's empty, so empty... Wherever you rank it, it's light years away from 2001 or Blade Runner.
Steady on. It's on a par with Blade Runner and 2001. It's certainly the best space based sci-fi since 2001. Gravity, despite all the unwarranted flak it gets, is also up there as well. Do get me wrong, it's NOT as good as 2001 or Blade Runner, but it's the best film since.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Steady on. It's on a par with Blade Runner and 2001. It's certainly the best space based sci-fi since 2001. Gravity, despite all the unwarranted flak it gets, is also up there as well. Do get me wrong, it's NOT as good as 2001 or Blade Runner, but it's the best film since.
Not saying it's not the best since 2001, but that says more about the quality of the Sci fi in a recent past than of the quality of interstellar! As amazing as it is visually, it's horribly written and it's empty!

Except it actually made a lot of sense. In Sunshine the guy just goes mad. In Interstellar he's been isolated in a very harsh environment for years. That life took its toll on his mind. It's not like it's completely out of nowhere or unexplainable...
*unmarked Sunshine/Interstellar spoilers ahead*

So one type of going mad doesn't make sense, but the other one does? Sunshine at least foreshadowed the idea that the sun might actually drive someone mad by having the ship psychologist slowly develop his own morbid fascination with it. The fact that the second ship has its own psychologist suggests that NASA or whoever was concerned with the team going insane en route to the sun, which is what was revealed to have happened to the first ship and its captain. The ships are cut off from contact with Earth after a certain point, which would also help to drive up the isolation (and the second ship's crew are getting into fights at the start of the film even with a psychologist on hand). These factors, combined with whatever psychological issues the first ship's captain already had, clearly sent him off the deep end and caused him to sabotage his own mission, then spend several years going even more insane, then sabotaging the next mission.

Besides, even if the logic of Sunshine didn't make as much sense, it still did the whole "crew meet survivor of failed first mission who then tries to murder them" thing first and still made Interstellar feel derivative as a result, more plausible reasons notwithstanding.

Not saying it's not the best since 2001, but that says more about the quality of the Sci fi in a recent past than of the quality of interstellar! As amazing as it is visually, it's horribly written and it's empty!
I can't argue with that point. To be honest, I thought the story took a sideline to the special effects. Still, it looks amazing and has Matthew McConaughey in it.

I'd probably put it in my third tier or near the bottom of my second.

Top tier - in my short favorites list: Akira, Alien, The Prestige, Sunshine, 2001.
Second tier: The Brother From Another Planet, Blade Runner, Inception, Knowing, The Thing, Aliens, Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Third Tier (still quite good): Mission to Mars, Avatar, Blindness, Children of Men, District 9, Gravity, The Matrix/Reloaded, Edge of Tomorrow.
Lower Tier(s): Ghost in the Shell, most Star Trek movies, most M. Night Shyamalan movies.
Bottom Tier: The kind of stuff that can only really be watched in Mystery Science Theater mode (though there are actually a few MST3K movies I'd rank a higher) - Sci-fi originals, Left Behind.

*unmarked Sunshine/Interstellar spoilers ahead*

So one type of going mad doesn't make sense, but the other one does? Sunshine at least foreshadowed the idea that the sun might actually drive someone mad by having the ship psychologist slowly develop his own morbid fascination with it. The fact that the second ship has its own psychologist suggests that NASA or whoever was concerned with the team going insane en route to the sun, which is what was revealed to have happened to the first ship and its captain. The ships are cut off from contact with Earth after a certain point, which would also help to drive up the isolation (and the second ship's crew are getting into fights at the start of the film even with a psychologist on hand). These factors, combined with whatever psychological issues the first ship's captain already had, clearly sent him off the deep end and caused him to sabotage his own mission, then spend several years going even more insane, then sabotaging the next mission.

Besides, even if the logic of Sunshine didn't make as much sense, it still did the whole "crew meet survivor of failed first mission who then tries to murder them" thing first and still made Interstellar feel derivative as a result, more plausible reasons notwithstanding.
You're basically speculating the cause of the captains madness in Sunshine where as it's pretty explicit what the cause of the madness was in Interstellar.

You're basically speculating the cause of the captains madness in Sunshine where as it's pretty explicit what the cause of the madness was in Interstellar.
Taken from the synopsis on Wikipedia (yeah, I know, it's Wikipedia):

Mace finds a video left by Captain Pinbacker, a radically religious man who states the mission was purposely abandoned by him, thinking it was the "will of God" that humanity should die.
That goes some way towards explaining the only part of my last post that could be considered speculation - the first captain's pre-existing psychological issues being exacerbated by the isolation of deep space. Not everything is as ludicrously out-of-nowhere as the "space dementia" from Armageddon nor does it need to be hammered home as much as it was in Interstellar. Besides, even if you were to still brush this off as speculation, the film still does a decent enough job of foreshadowing the possibility of going mad in deep space on the way to the sun for reasons I already specified in my last post.