Thunderbolt's 2021 Movie Diary

Tools    

251. The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989) DVD rewatch
Razor sharps script and superbly cast, this is the story of long time partnership going stale and the grind of a routine showbiz. I love the wit and sarcasm in the script. An absorbing escape from modern day life.

252. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) DVD rewatch
Two of my favourite actors Eastwood and Bridges star in this great bank robbery thriller. A very underrated film that I hear very little praise for. If I had to pick one favourite film of all time, this would be it.

253. The Lady From Shanghai (1948) DVD rewatch
Entertaining film noir with an unusual arty camerawork finale. Rita Hayworth is great as the femme fatale as is Orson Welles as the protagonist.

254. Rocky 4 (1984) DVD rewatch
The most over the top of the series and unfortunately much of the screen time is filled up with songs. By far a guilty pleasure but I have to rate this as entertaining and fun.

255. The Killers (1946) DVD rewatch
Superb noir with Burt Lancaster in his debut role. Lots of concentration is needed to keep up with the plot as it’s quite complex and there are many characters involved. The film is however very absorbing and 100 minutes just flew by. A great plot, great acting and the usual gritty atmosphere you expect from this top film noir.

256. The Blue Dahlia (1946) DVD rewatch
Not as gritty as The Killers but the plot was intriguing and keeps you guessing until the end. The finale was however quite abrupt. Alan Ladd shines well as the protagonist.

257. Day of the Dead (1985) Streaming rewatch
Haven’t seen this in a while. Very slow paced with the real action not kicking in until the last 20 minutes or so. The goriest of the original trilogy. Maybe not the best as it’s hard pressed to beat the first two but Romero does a good job at keeping each movie so different.

258. Last Night in Soho (2021) Cinema first watch
Psychological thriller from Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright. A fashion designer has visions of a murder from the 60s and starts to become involved in the flashbacks. A nicely put together story and slick camera work make this a joy to watch. The best movie I’ve seen in a good while. Worth the hype? Definitely.

259. Dawn of the Dead (1978) DVD rewatch
Is this about consumerism being the real apocalypse or just a fun zombie flick? Whatever you make of it I think the greater discussion is about if it’s surpasses the original. It’s a tough call and one I will always change my mind on. But with Romero there’s not a fast moving zombie in sight, the way it should be.

260. The Nut Job 2 (2017) TV rewatch
My daughter chose this for family film night. This original was quite serious for a kids animation but this one was certainly more fun.

262. Tales From the Crypt (1972) DVD rewatch
Excellent portmanteau horror from Amicus. Tales of murder and madness all link in the finale where the protagonists learn of their fate.

264. Conan the Barbarian (1982) DVD rewatch
Felt in the mood again for this one as this is my second viewing this year. The effects and Arnie’s cheesiness did not disappoint.

266. Black Christmas (1974) DVD rewatch
The score really sets the mood for this gritty slasher that predates Halloween. Some nice distorted camera angles and killer POV shots help to draw you into this masterful nightmare. The obscene phone caller is still pretty harrowing when watched today and seem to get more eerie with each view. This horror really hits the mark and sets the bar high. Don’t bother with the awful 2006 remake which tries to explain every detail. The 1974 version is the one to watch with its absolute “killer” ending.

I'm 17 pages and 11 months late, but you've watched pretty much all of my favorite films this year. Wish I knew about this thread sooner.
Glad you like my selection of viewings. Most are from my DVD collection but it’s been a real blast watching them again.

267. Ghostbusters 2 (1989) DVD rewatch
I have fond memories of this as it was the second movie I saw at the cinema as a child.
For a sequel it stands up pretty well against the original with some nice effects and an inventive story.

267 Movies Watched

+ 67 Movies Watched Over Target

A fair month of movie watching but I think I’m still recovering from October’s Halloween films. So now to finish we’re entering the festive period. This won’t be a month of just Christmas movies but a fair few will crop up. Now on the home straight for wrapping up this challenge. It’s been a productive year but just a few weeks of viewing to go.