Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Thanks for the invite, but you'll have to add me to the "wait and see" club. I've been watching a lot of westerns over the past couple of weeks, and I think I'm starting to realize that I'm not much of a westerns fan, and I think I hate the spaghetti westerns.
I like the spaghetti westerns but I can see where you wouldn't. I suggest trying 1950s westerns...There less about brutality and blood and more about arch hero types and morality. And often there's a romance mini-story included with the movie. I like them anyway.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like the spaghetti westerns but I can see where you wouldn't. I suggest trying 1950s westerns...There less about brutality and blood and more about arch hero types and morality. And often there's a romance mini-story included with the movie. I like them anyway.

I've found some western movies that I like, but they seem to be the ones with less bloodshed. There's way too much violence in some western movies.

I've been working on a potential list for the countdown, and I already have a list of about 40 movies that could make my list, and many of them are "real" westerns, not just "fluff" like comedies and musicals. I should have a nice "respectable" list by the time I'm ready to send it in for the countdown.

I'd like to see what's nominated first. I have quite a list of Westerns I'd like to get through and would rather watch a few first timers right now rather than do re-watches.

Ok, well I might wait a couple more days and then do an early reveal so people can decide.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
An early reveal would be ideal to help others decide on whether or not they wish to join in.

All right, Keyser Corleone joined, so what the heck, I'll just post the noms right now and see what people think.
So an "unofficial" reveal:
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - ahwell
The Cowboys - edarsenal
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Wyldsyde19
The Ox-Bow Incident - Citizen Rules
Rio Bravo - Keyser Corleone

I'd be willing to change my nom (which I know is very well known) to something more obscure if some people joined because of it... actually then it would go to Keyser Corleone since that was his first choice, and Rio Bravo would be out. Both very well known films anyways, and I know most people said they would join for something a little less well known.

So, this HoF hasn't officially started yet, so no deadlines. I'll still wait a couple more days for people to look at the noms and see if they want to join.

The Cowboys - edarsenal

Excellent choices! I've seen them all...BUT...not for a very long time, so I really need to watch them again to decide if they will make my Western Countdown list or not. I'm happy about those noms

The trick is not minding
The Cowboys - edarsenal

Excellent choices! I've seen them all...BUT...not for a very long time, so I really need to watch them again to decide if they will make my Western Countdown list or not. I'm happy about those noms
Nice selection! The Cowboys is a John Wayne film, right? Haven’t seen that yet, and haven’t seen Rio Bravo but I have seen it’s remake, El Dorado.
The Ox Bow incident I last watched about a decade ago so it’s definitely up for a rewatch.

Nice selection! The Cowboys is a John Wayne film, right? Haven’t seen that yet, and haven’t seen Rio Bravo but I have seen it’s remake, El Dorado.
The Ox Bow incident I last watched about a decade ago so it’s definitely up for a rewatch.
Yup the Duke is the star of The Cowboys.

I've seen El Dorado it's a pretty good film too and is the second of three Howard Hawks films with John Wayne that all have very similar stories. The third is Rio Lobo (1970), which I thought was average. Rio Bravo is my favorite of the three...I'm a big fan of Dean Martin, so that's a plus too

The trick is not minding
Yeah, I’ve read about them all being the same story with John Wayne and all 3 three directed by Howard Hawks.
Which lead to a humorous exchange between them when Hawks approached him to star in Rio Lobo.
when Hawks called Wayne and offered to send over the script, Wayne replied, "Why bother? I've already made the movie twice."

Yeah, I’ve read about them all being the same story with John Wayne and all 3 three directed by Howard Hawks.
Which lead to a humorous exchange between them when Hawks approached him to star in Rio Lobo.
when Hawks called Wayne and offered to send over the script, Wayne replied, "Why bother? I've already made the movie twice."
Ha!

A VERY solid list!!

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - ahwell Been a couple of decades since I've watched this and was tempted to nominate a Korean "tip of the hat" entitled "The Good, The Bad, The Weird"
The Cowboys - edarsenal My nom and a favorite of mine of John Wayne. I also nominated it due to very little conversation is brought up regarding it, so I'll be curious to see everyone feels about it.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Wyldsyde19 One of the Must See Westerns that I don't believe I've ever seen in it's entirety, so happy to see this.
The Ox-Bow Incident - Citizen Rules Watched this a year or so ago and I do believe it may have been CR who recommended it. I DO remember some talk about it in one of the HoFs (unsure which) and glad to have a rewatch.
Rio Bravo - Keyser Corleone I can't remember if I've seen this and if so, I'm sure it is a VERY overdue rewatch.

The trick is not minding
A VERY solid list!!

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - ahwell Been a couple of decades since I've watched this and was tempted to nominate a Korean "tip of the hat" entitled "The Good, The Bad, The Weird"
The Cowboys - edarsenal My nom and a favorite of mine of John Wayne. I also nominated it due to very little conversation is brought up regarding it, so I'll be curious to see everyone feels about it.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Wyldsyde19 One of the Must See Westerns that I don't believe I've ever seen in it's entirety, so happy to see this.
The Ox-Bow Incident - Citizen Rules Watched this a year or so ago and I do believe it may have been CR who recommended it. I DO remember some talk about it in one of the HoFs (unsure which) and glad to have a rewatch.
Rio Bravo - Keyser Corleone I can't remember if I've seen this and if so, I'm sure it is a VERY overdue rewatch.
It is indeed a very strong lineup.
It was a toss up for me between Liberty Valance, Unforgiven and Stagecoach (original 1939 version)
I had figured The Searchers and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were likely to be nominated so backed off.

Gee I don't remember if it was me, it could've been. I swear I forget more than I know...like when I watched The Ox-Bow Incident last week, I thought I knew the movie but I hardly remember a thing.

It was a toss up for me between Liberty Valance, Unforgiven and Stagecoach (original 1939 version)
I had figured The Searchers and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were likely to be nominated so backed off.
I'm planning on watching Unforgiven after having seen Pale Rider last night. Need to rewatch The Searchers.

Quite the three to choose from. Glad you went with Liberty since it was one I needed to see.
Which, like others, I'm looking to these Western HoFs to widen my views to ones I might get a chance to watch.
The reason being, even though I could easily write up a List, I want to take the opportunity to see films I should and haven't' seen yet in this wonderful genre.

Gee I don't remember if it was me, it could've been. I swear I forget more than I know...like when I watched The Ox-Bow Incident last week, I thought I knew the movie but I hardly remember a thing.
I vaguely remember a conversation with Camo about Westerns and along with watching Yellow Sky that was in his original three considerations, Ox-Bow was brought up with a unanimous appreciation of it. To the point of me checking it out and agreeing with what was said about it.
Daniel and possibly cricket may, or may not have been involved as well. Possibly sean or raul as well.

The trick is not minding
Quite the three to choose from. Glad you went with Liberty since it was one I needed to see.
Which, like others, I'm looking to these Western HoFs to widen my views to ones I might get a chance to watch.
The reason being, even though I could easily write up a List, I want to take the opportunity to see films I should and haven't' seen yet in this wonderful genre.
Precisely why I join these HOFs
It gives me a chance to watch films I might otherwise hadn’t considered previously, not because I don’t want to, but rather there are so many films it’s hard to keep track.

Haven't seen The Cowboys but I will check it out for this. I think Ox-Bow is practically a masterpiece while the other 3 have varying degrees of excellence.